Massive Asbestos Problem Brewing

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Massive Asbestos Problem Brewing  (Read 32651 times)

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
Re: Massive Asbestos Problem Brewing
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2018, 07:45:00 pm »
Very nice BAC!
Could I be cheeky and ask what the wheels and tyres are? That's just the look I like, grey understated finish, I'm not into polished bling.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 09:52:25 pm »
Could I be cheeky and ask what the wheels and tyres are? That's just the look I like, grey understated finish, I'm not into polished bling.

They are American Racing Torq Thrust Originals (I believe the part # is VN309) in 15 x 7" with 225/60R15 tyres.  Funnily enough they are not really to my taste so will probably be up for sale at some point.  Wheels and tyres are in pretty much as new condition.

I'll start a thread on it in due course, but back on topic this is the first car I've brought in since the asbestos hysteria started and I'm happy to report it didn't get pinged for testing.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:19:32 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2018, 10:09:50 pm »
Nice car BAC, although I’m sure there is plenty for you to do to get it to your liking.
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 10:18:33 pm »
I’m sure there is plenty for you to do to get it to your liking.

Yes, I have some plans for this one...  :evilone:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2018, 10:37:29 am »
I'll start a thread on it in due course, but back on topic this is the first car I've brought in since the asbestos hysteria started and I'm happy to report it didn't get pinged for testing.  :thumb:

so what they are doing is a random selection for testing, correct?
fred

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2018, 01:01:54 pm »
I haven't herd of much going on lately . A bit like when they clamped down on modified cars coming in , all hell broke out then not much at all  :shrug:

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2018, 01:35:01 pm »
so what they are doing is a random selection for testing, correct?

I very much believe so.  Before I brought this car in I talked to a number of the local Customs brokers and the story was pretty much the same: a few cars are getting pinged for testing here and there but not a high percentage and hardly any in the last couple of months.  One broker said they have their customers fill out a form declaring the car to be free from asbestos and haven't had a single car checked. 

The article below is interesting (once you get past the hyperbole) in that there is a list of classic car asbestos 'busts' from last year at the bottom: 

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/australian-border-force-detects-asbestos-in-classic-cars-owners-risk-thousands-of-dollars-in-fines/news-story/558ae57b52f7e995237f6e3193ea62b1

Most were in Adelaide and Sydney, with a couple in Brissy, one in Perth and none in Melbourne.  :pepper:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:36:35 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline fredm666

• Worked
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2018, 02:29:24 pm »
I very much believe so.  Before I brought this car in I talked to a number of the local Customs brokers and the story was pretty much the same: a few cars are getting pinged for testing here and there but not a high percentage and hardly any in the last couple of months.  One broker said they have their customers fill out a form declaring the car to be free from asbestos and haven't had a single car checked. 

The article below is interesting (once you get past the hyperbole) in that there is a list of classic car asbestos 'busts' from last year at the bottom: 

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/australian-border-force-detects-asbestos-in-classic-cars-owners-risk-thousands-of-dollars-in-fines/news-story/558ae57b52f7e995237f6e3193ea62b1

Most were in Adelaide and Sydney, with a couple in Brissy, one in Perth and none in Melbourne.  :pepper:

interesting article.
in the video someone is dressed like they are handling nuclear waste   :lol: :lol: :lol:

but it looks like they are not doing too much on the houses with asbestos walls/ceilings, considering you can still easily buy them...

(off topic), talking about asbestos, Wittenoom gorge is an amazing place and Australian Government cancelled that place from the maps  :grin:
fred

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2018, 05:46:03 pm »
(off topic), talking about asbestos, Wittenoom gorge is an amazing place and Australian Government cancelled that place from the maps
Sounds like you've been there?
I believe Wittenoom had Australia's sole blue asbestos mine in the 1950's & 60's, but that the town has been progressively closed down in more recent years, although a few people still live there apparently. So what stops visitors going there? Just removal of signage and from maps?
(Sorry, getting off topic I know, but I find the whole asbestos issue interesting).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:48:20 pm by 67FBGT »

Offline fredm666

• Worked
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2018, 06:17:04 pm »
Sounds like you've been there?
I believe Wittenoom had Australia's sole blue asbestos mine in the 1950's & 60's, but that the town has been progressively closed down in more recent years, although a few people still live there apparently. So what stops visitors going there? Just removal of signage and from maps?
(Sorry, getting off topic I know, but I find the whole asbestos issue interesting).

Yes, I've been there last September when we were at Karijini NP.
Wittenoom has been progressively wiped out, 95% of the houses and all road signs completely removed by the government... only roads (made of mix of asphalt and asbestos) are still there. 3 persons still live in Wittenoom http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-05/wittenoom-home-of-australian-asbestos-population-three/7793902  (gem shop walls and sign are there today).
The gorge is stunning in my opinion, we drove into it till the end; we passed by some blue asbestos tailings and there are 'Danger' signs everywhere along the gorge.

oh, Wittenoom asbestos mines were owned and managed by CSR, the same company that produced sugar for Australian market
fred

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2018, 07:29:57 pm »
Interesting article, thankyou.
Would that be the same CSR that today markets building products, such as plasterboard etc?

Offline fredm666

• Worked
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2018, 08:04:16 pm »
Interesting article, thankyou.
Would that be the same CSR that today markets building products, such as plasterboard etc?

Yes, same company; there are interesting articles regarding the controversy with Wittenoom workers.
fred

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 87 GT
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2018, 10:57:08 am »
I had a bad experience with the Asbestos testing.  They left parts off of the rear brakes, ruined front pads and also now have a valve cover gasket leak as they had to take a sample of the valve cover gasket to test in addition t samples of the brakes linings.  Very rough testing that I paid for.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2018, 03:48:41 pm »
I had a bad experience with the Asbestos testing.

Please share more details of your experience: who did you import through, what did the testing cost, did they find anything, etc.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2018, 12:45:02 pm »
The testing was included in their shipping costs.  They found nothing but like I said it ruined front pads and complete rear brakes ...even though they say they just need a very small sample.  They actually likely took a small sample but very roughly so the front pads (although nearly new) were cracked.  The valve cover gasket obviously leaks on that side now.  I don't want to mention who they are yet as I am communicating with them to hopefully get compensation on the rough job their 'mechanic' did of taking these sample and not telling me that they has to take a sample of a valve cover gasket.  Apparently each car is different in what they have to test ..I assume if it is a manual transmission they need to take a sample of the clutch plate as well

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2018, 01:32:28 pm »
Was the testing done overseas or by Customs when the car arrived in Oz?
Cheers,
Brian

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2018, 04:10:12 pm »
My understanding is that the testing is done overseas and then confirmed by Quarantine here.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2018, 04:17:10 pm »
My understanding is that the testing is done overseas and then confirmed by Quarantine here.

Ahh, OK - makes more sense now.  Just in case you didn't know, it's not mandatory to have the car tested overseas before shipping to Australia. 

Benefit of getting it done before shipping is that any suspect parts can be replaced, downside is Oz Customs can choose to ignore the results of any testing you've had done and insist it be re-tested (at you expense) once it lands here.  So worst case you can end up paying twice, whereas if you wing it and just put it through untested chances are it will not be inspected at all.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2018, 12:22:15 am »
I spoke with American Classic Imports in Brisbane this week about importing another car and they have a service in their warehouse in LA that changes all your pads and shoes and supplies an asbestos clearance certificate before it is shipped for $333. They said that they have not had any issues as yet. Not a bad service as $333 would not by the pads in AU.

Hi David

Thank you for your enquiry in to shipping out a Mustang

Shipping from CA to BNE                       $3000.00
Lodging the Import approval                   $65.00
Customs Inspection Fee                         $360.00
New brake pads                                      $333.00

Plus 10%GST on the landed cost.

Sharon Hutchen

American Classic Imports
PH: 61+7 54330537
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:27:03 am by 66FBK »
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2018, 12:49:34 am »
As stated before, the advice I've been given is having a car tested and/or parts replaced in the US is no guarantee it will not be re-tested when it lands here, so you could end up paying twice.

Happy to be corrected if someone has better info...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2018, 06:24:36 am »
As stated before, the advice I've been given is having a car tested and/or parts replaced in the US is no guarantee it will not be re-tested when it lands here, so you could end up paying twice.

Happy to be corrected if someone has better info...
Brian, you are correct!

Al

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2018, 08:11:57 am »
Just changing the brake pads/shoes means nothing ,it's a good start but it may not stop with that .  If your car gets red flagged they might go full hog on it . Exhaust gaskets ,carby gasket ,valve cover gaskets ,intake gaskets ,head gaskets etc ,etc , wiring covering , even rubber seals and heat proofing through out  the car . It's a lot of crock what they are doing and it's like when they brought the new rules in about modified cars could not come in . To bring a car in now you can be lucky or unlucky  :shrug: . I was told you can bring in commercial vehicles in with no checks ,does anyone know if that's correct ? .

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2018, 11:07:30 am »
Ahh, OK - makes more sense now.  Just in case you didn't know, it's not mandatory to have the car tested overseas before shipping to Australia. 

Benefit of getting it done before shipping is that any suspect parts can be replaced, downside is Oz Customs can choose to ignore the results of any testing you've had done and insist it be re-tested (at you expense) once it lands here.  So worst case you can end up paying twice, whereas if you wing it and just put it through untested chances are it will not be inspected at all.

Yes- but my understanding is that if there is asbestos found there is a big fine AND you still have to remove parts. 

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2018, 11:35:50 am »
Yes- but my understanding is that if there is asbestos found there is a big fine AND you still have to remove parts.

Not sure how big the fine is, but as Glenn says if your car is red flagged on entry to Australia (which seems to be a totally random thing) they will likely go through everything including exhaust gaskets, head gaskets, body coatings, etc. that your pre-shipping test would not have covered.

Based on the actual hit rate of asbestos inspections here, IMHO you are better off rolling the dice rather than having your car messed with before shipping.  Just my 2c...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2018, 12:38:46 pm »
One of my clients recently been tested randomly with a fresh import. Found asbestos residue in brake pads.....fined $1200.