Massive Asbestos Problem Brewing

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Massive Asbestos Problem Brewing  (Read 32651 times)

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Massive Asbestos Problem Brewing
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 10:34:33 am »
I'm only guessing here, but either way they would need to send the samples off for testing somewhere so they'll need the car for a few days at least.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 11:03:47 am »
I would expect they would take the easier route of replacement of the suspect parts. E.g Brake linings, exhaust manifold gasket etc.  Easier, cheaper, faster.

What you're really paying for is the certification that those new parts are asbestos free. You could get someone local to the car to do the work, but who would certify.

So what we need from Australian Border Force (ABF) is a list of all areas that need to be certified. Certainty is a good thing. Unfortunately they haven't provided that so far.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:06:22 am by scollist »

Offline Prendo

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Jim
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 03:49:52 pm »
I would expect they would take the easier route of replacement of the suspect parts. E.g Brake linings, exhaust manifold gasket etc.  Easier, cheaper, faster.

What you're really paying for is the certification that those new parts are asbestos free. You could get someone local to the car to do the work, but who would certify.

So what we need from Australian Border Force (ABF) is a list of all areas that need to be certified. Certainty is a good thing. Unfortunately they haven't provided that so far.

It's all good and well to change what you think you know to be suspect parts, but unless you have an asbestos qualified person examine the car, you'd only be guessing what those items are. It'd be a far less expensive and a much safer position, to engage this company to handle the issue in the USA and certify the car clear of asbestos, before it sets sail, than stress about it floating into the hands of the waiting government, with unknown costs to be slapped on you when they're done going through it.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 07:54:22 pm »
Thanks, was just wondering how the inspection service will work in terms of logistics: would you have to get the car shipped from the seller to Bosskraft and then arrange to get it on-shipped to port after they've inspected it?

Brian I am not sure how it works but will ask if you need.  Sean has a website,  bosskraft.com  I am sure you can enquire through that, but can follow up if thats your preference.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 08:10:03 pm »
Brian I am not sure how it works but will ask if you need.  Sean has a website,  bosskraft.com  I am sure you can enquire through that, but can follow up if thats your preference.

Thanks, no immediate need - just like to know what the options are if I ever want to bring in another car.  My preferred shipping agents (CFR Rinkens) are looking at setting up something similar as well.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 09:04:34 am »
It's all good and well to change what you think you know to be suspect parts, but unless you have an asbestos qualified person examine the car, you'd only be guessing what those items are. It'd be a far less expensive and a much safer position, to engage this company to handle the issue in the USA and certify the car clear of asbestos, before it sets sail, than stress about it floating into the hands of the waiting government, with unknown costs to be slapped on you when they're done going through it.

I agree that peace of mind is needed. But I'm not sure about the 'far less expensive'.  If the car is in New Jersey and BossKraft are in CA or AZ it is not going to be cheap to bring the two together to complete the service.

But again - BossKraft would need to be certifying against all the areas of the car that have potential to contain asbestos. So the ABF would need to provide guidance on all the areas that need to be certified.

Given you're in California, do you know BossKraft?

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 05:15:59 pm »
One would hope that the authorities will undertake enough sampling at this early stage to quickly put together a database of which components they are finding typically contain asbestos and those that almost certainly wouldn't, and then the process of checking a vehicle of a particular make/model/source and clearing it would become much simpler.
The reality is that while we all think of asbestos as that nasty stuff contained in the matrix of the old fibro, in reality it was used during manufacture of hundreds of different materials and products used in building construction, far and away more than most people realize. Thinking of ripping up old vinyl or old hessian carpet backing during a reno? Better to get advice first and if necessary get it checked. Etc.
It could be a similar situation with vehicles. So while the metals used one can expect to be safe, what about all the other components? That's why vehicles have been sampled and I'd like the findings made public. With regard to our old Fords, setting aside the obvious like brake and clutch linings, what about sound deadening products, vinyls, soft paddings and trim, electrical parts, cable wrappings, rubbers, mouldings, in fact anything non-metallic that would benefit from enhanced heat resistance.
Down the track we will all be better off, or at least our kids will.
Just got to get those other countries where asbestos is not illegal but whom we trade with to come to the party too.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:18:15 pm by 67FBGT »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 05:37:51 pm »
Down the track we will all be better off, or at least our kids will.

While more and more planes are flying over our homes?

Yeah right.

How's the serenity?

s

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 10:23:25 am »
While more and more planes are flying over our homes? Yeah right. How's the serenity?
I hear you, you have a point, but I'm only commenting on this bloody asbestos! The more of the stuff that is removed and put back in the ground where it came from in the first place then all the better.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 11:14:46 am »
this bloody asbestos! The more of the stuff that is removed and put back in the ground where it came from in the first place then all the better.

No argument there.

s

Offline Prendo

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Jim
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 06:51:49 am »
I agree that peace of mind is needed. But I'm not sure about the 'far less expensive'.  If the car is in New Jersey and BossKraft are in CA or AZ it is not going to be cheap to bring the two together to complete the service.

But again - BossKraft would need to be certifying against all the areas of the car that have potential to contain asbestos. So the ABF would need to provide guidance on all the areas that need to be certified.

Given you're in California, do you know BossKraft?

I've only met their crew and seen their displays at shows here in California. They were in Monterey, California this week, for car week. AWESOME!!

I discussed this asbestos thing with them and they do certify the entire vehicle after they've inspected and checked it all out, but also only after they've removed the asbestos. They will not certify a car clear unless they've removed it themselves. Guess you can't trust others to do the work!! Said that they've been involved with a working group involving freight forwarders and other agencies in Australia, in setting up the service so that they deal with the issue properly. Sounds like they're all over it and have researched the issue well, from my understanding.

As for the 'far less expensive' part, it would be far less expensive in comparison to the recent impounds that have been going on and circulating the internet and facebook. I'd rather spend a few hundred dealing with it here in the USA, than hoping to avoid an impound on arrival. Copping a $15,000 hit from clearing an impound would scare me to death!

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 08:18:19 am »
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline robgarns

• Stallion
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 05:42:30 pm »
I have just asked the question about taking a car offshore for a Rally and then bringing it back. Official response indicates total madness:

RG

"If you were to consider bringing it back, the below may serve to assist.

Basically, we asked the question of ABF, if we had the car examined prior to export and assuming it was all clear of asbestos, would the certificate still be valid when the car(s) came back (on the proviso of course that they weren’t altered before being returned)?
It stills means an asbestos / hygienist check but at least you’re in a bit of control.

Quote:

“To clarify if the importer is having both vehicles assessed by a competent person and relevant parts tested by a NATA accredited laboratory before export and there are no changes (e.g. parts replaced) made to the vehicles while overseas then yes this is sufficient assurance to provide a no response to the asbestos community protection (CP) question when it returns to Australia. The importer/broker will need to be able to clearly link the competent person report and laboratory results to the vehicles imported.

The testing report must contain the following information:
- the test method used
- the date and origin of the sample
- description of the sample (and sub-sample if applicable) including weight, size and colour
- whether fibres are detected under Polarised Light Microscopy / Dispersion Staining method (PLM/DS) at the detection limit, and if so -
- what type of fibre
- if mineral fibres of unknown type are identified, the confirming technique used to assess asbestos content
- name of the analyst.
If required you can find more information on our website at: http://www.border.gov.au/Importingandbuyinggoodsfromoverseas/Pages/Asbestos.aspx

Unquote.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 07:59:05 pm »
unbelievable

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »
I am surprised that everyone is having such troubles about this. I talked about America West , who import Mustangs direct to WA and all they recommend is having the brakes replaced before the car gets shipped. Customs is happy and every one else seems to be happy.

Offline robgarns

• Stallion
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 02:29:12 pm »
Personally I would remain nervous about offshore certification - you need to be 110% sure that Border Force Australia will accept that the certification has been done by an appropriate laboratory in the US or anywhere else AND THAT IS NOT A GIVEN right now

Some cars are clearly getting through but until the whole import industry and the classic car fans across the country scream about this lunacy it remains a problem that can cause enormous grief and effectively wipe out an Industry

Peter Dutton is the Minister in charge of Border Force - my suggestion is that everyone who feels p...... off should email him!! minister@border.gov.au

Offline MStang67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »
Well,

Is there not a list of items that contain ASBESTOS in our beloved Pre 1973 Mustangs ??? Besides brake pads?

I am sure they do not scan/test the whole car they inspect each time ?

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:00 pm »
Here is a link to a document on the WA Mustang Website written by Cargo Online.

http://wa.mustang.org.au/images/documents/Asbestos%20In%20Imported%20Used%20Cars%204.5.17.pdf

peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 10:44:44 pm »
This link to a Qld based certifier was posted up on another forum ... https://www.dazmac.com.au/

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 06:22:14 pm »
Just had a car cleared through Customs and no asbestos issues.  :thumb:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2018, 10:08:11 am »
Just had a car cleared through Customs and no asbestos issues.  :thumb:

So its here and you haven't posted photos yet!
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 01:08:04 pm »
So its here and you haven't posted photos yet!

Geez, gimme a chance - just got back from driving it home this morning!  :grin:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 01:34:05 pm »
Geez, gimme a chance - just got back from driving it home this morning!  :grin:

Congrats, bet its a little more subdued than the last one.  We await the photos!
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2018, 04:01:09 pm »
We await the photos!

Getting a bit OT in this thread, but here's a teaser from when I picked it up:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 04:02:52 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian