New Member - 1965 Coupe 289 2bl 3 spd manual

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New Member - 1965 Coupe 289 2bl 3 spd manual  (Read 4306 times)

Offline grodgers1972

• P Plates
  • 1965 Coupe - 289, 3 spd Manual Vintage Burgundy
  • Name: Geoff
  • Car: 1965 Coupe - Manual
New Member - 1965 Coupe 289 2bl 3 spd manual
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:39:23 pm »
G'day all,
New to the forum and and proud owner of a 1965 Coupe 289 2bl 3 spd manual. I am a Australian Military member currently living the USA on an exchange posting. I will be returning to Australia with this car in 2019. Currently, she is my daily driver to work and a weekend cruise. I have had the car for three months so far and have upgrade to front brakes to disc, added a coolant tank, changed the front shocks and coils (1 inch drop) and soon, new leaf springs and shocks for the rear. Car runs great for me and while parts are accessible and cheaper, I will be looking for advice and tips from this community forum.

Look forward to hearing from members.

Geoff
Geoff

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: New Member - 1965 Coupe 289 2bl 3 spd manual
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 01:03:09 pm »
From one Geoff to another, welcome aboard. Nice looking car. Something non standard going on with the rear spring hangers?

Hopefully it'll all have settled down by 2019 but you probably need to get across this

https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,32204.0.html

Apart from buying parts over there and saving money, you should probably fit anything you buy to the car before you ship it as you are otherwise looking at import duty on the parts if despite being bought in the USA they are not manufactured there as is all too common these days. If fitted they are just part of the car and duty isn't payable (GST is)

Other than that, is there any particular advice you're looking for?

Offline grodgers1972

• P Plates
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 01:13:23 pm »
Hi Geoff.... You noticed those ugly shackles....they are going when the new leafs go on in the next couple of weeks. Thanks the link..The embassy staff have made me aware of the Asbestos and I have some advice and guidance on this already..

The big unknown for me at the moment is seatbelts. Currently have the standard lap belts but will need the 3 pts when I got home. Reading the forum, there seems to be differences between states back home... On my return, I will most likely be heading to the ACT, but after that, I will be heading to Qld. I have thought about purchasing the Australian Standard belts and have them fitted over here.....

Apart from that, I'm still learning the squeaks and noise and slowly getting the parts I need/want done over here.....
Any advice on experiences, parts, and freight companies would be appreciated... Trust me, I have already started reading the threads on freight companies.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:15:25 pm by grodgers1972 »
Geoff

Offline Gallop

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:42:42 pm »
Welcome Geoff - looks like you live in a picturesque part of the world. Where are you in the US?

I suggest replacing any large and or heavy items while in the US that are difficult to post. Some suggestions include: gas (petrol) tank (get one with the drain plug), dash pad (if yours is cracked), carpet (I noticed yours is a little faded), seat foams, radiator (if yours is plugged up with 50 years of gunk), fuel and brake lines.

If you car has an original Autolite 2100 carby, grab a carby kit or two for the future.  Much easier to source in the US than Australia.

While Australia does have suppliers, they are far more plentiful in the US.

What are you plans for the car - keep as is, total restoration?

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 01:48:39 pm »
Welcome to the forum. There's quite a bunch of members in the Canberra Chapter that you might like to make contact with. re cruises etc.
Stormin

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 03:46:11 pm »
Hi Geoff, welcome to the forum and thank you very much for your service.

What tyre and wheel combo do you have? Even though you said the car has had front springs and shock 1" lower, the car still looks like it is sitting way high in the photo.

Cheers Mark
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline grodgers1972

• P Plates
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 11:07:37 pm »

I'm living in Charlottesville, Virginia. My plans are to keep the car as is. As far as I can see, no major work is needed. The car was an Atlanta, Georgia vehicle for most of its life, family kept and handed down from father to son.  I was given some TLC in 1999 by the previous owner and kept in a garage, driven monthly and never in the snow. I work with the guy I bought it off, so I can ask questions/history any time. I am the third owner, so Im pretty happy with the condition of it.

As for the tyres and wheels, the previous owner put these replica 66 rims on it. The tyres are 195/70 14s. I don't have the old rims, but I do have the original hub caps.
These photos were the first ones I took and do not show the lowering. Once I have the rear leafs on, I will take another photo.
Geoff

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 10:20:57 am »
. I am a Australian Military member currently living the USA on an exchange posting.

Welcome Geoff - You are in the best position to bring a car home (in terms of taxes etc because you are living OS, I am guessing that defence will even cover your transport when you are repatriated)

So another thing to consider is a more collectable pony if you have caught the bug, I regret not doing this when I was OS

cheers

greg

Offline grodgers1972

• P Plates
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 09:16:18 am »
G'day all,
As promised, here is an update to the first photos after the new rear leaf springs were put on.. Notice the disgusting old extended shackles are gone..She now rides alot smoother.. These photos were taken at a local car show....

Geoff

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 09:22:42 am »
Looks so much better now.

Nice work on the plates too  :flag: