driving an LHD

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: driving an LHD  (Read 3520 times)

Offline jords

• Pony
driving an LHD
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:30:51 pm »
GUYS!!
whats everyones opinion...
my stang is left hand drive....
do you think its worth changing it to right as to suit australia and possibly better safety??
or keep it OOriginal??
thanks jordan

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
driving an LHD
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:46:52 pm »
Keep it left, easier for parts and its original.  My car is right hand drive and I wish it was still left.
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
driving an LHD
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:49:34 pm »
Jordan, Keep it LHD. Over 5 grand to change it properly and that buys a lot of gas. Great pose factor too. Might be more attractive as a resale item in years to come as well.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
driving an LHD
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:56:11 pm »
Mine is left hook, and I prefer it.

In fact, my F150 4x4 import has been converted, and I'm considering converting it back when it hits 30
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
driving an LHD
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:10:24 pm »
Originally posted by derwin66
Keep it left, easier for parts and its original.  My car is right hand drive and I wish it was still left.

:i
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
driving an LHD
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 01:27:11 am »
Jords,

If you have a regular passenger on board, and if they drive, are they comfortable sitting in the normal driver's seat without any controls ?.

I shared a LHD TR sports from the States with a mate. When he drove the car I was a very unhappy camper for the entire trip. Having no steering wheel was weird, but no brake pedal was worse.

We had a good laugh though the night we got breath tested at Benalla. Young cop sauntered over to me, said "good evening sir...blow into this until I tell you to stop." "What, are you testing the passengers now", I asked. He looked down and no steering wheel, so with red face and apologies he galloped around the other side to test Brian. All the other coppers in the row must have thought he'd lost it until they twigged when we drove out.

Afterwards when I got the Stang, it was converted quick smart to RHD, because my wife didn't enjoy the ride in the other seat either. And a stroppy wife just isn't happiness !. Figured I'd worry about getting the outlay back when I eventually sold it.

Have you driven through the city late on a Friday and headed off down the Monash with the LHD yet ?. If not, have a crack in heavy traffic then decide if you are comfortable with the concentration level.

66RR

Offline Jimmyj

• Pony
driving an LHD
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 07:23:07 am »
Hi Jordan

I have a LHD which I've been driving for 2 months now.  The first few drives were a bit daunting but now I'm quite comfortable with it and actually really enjoy the fact that it's LHD.
Some things are harder, like some lane changes and over taking, and driving on a road with no lanes marked.  I use an 'arm extension' (my friend calls it the claw!) for going through boom gates at work or in shopping centres.

I think the car looks better as LHD, certainly gets a lot more attention (good or bad) and when you look up any reference material everything is where it should be.  And it feels just a bit more special as you cruise along and changes gears with your right hand.

The downside is as 66RR mentions.  My wife is not comfortable in the front, and therefore I drive much more conservatively.  And she's adament I replace the lap belts with 3 point belts before the family rides in it again.  And there's no way she will drive it so as a second car it's not very useful when our main car (an Alfa) is off the road.  I don't think I would ever drive a LHD car as hard as I would a RHD one.  This suits me as mine is more an original classic, than say a muscle car.  And you have to concentrate more!

I wouldn't convert mine, but given the choice again I'm not sure which I would buy really.

Cheers
Jim

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
driving an LHD
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:59:06 am »
I seem to recall another thread on this subject end result = whatever you want it is a personal preference thing

If you want originality and want to replace parts easier then stay left.
If you want practicality of driving on lhs of the road, as we do, then spend the $ and convert to rhd.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
driving an LHD
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:50:56 am »
I wouldn't be too concerned about value or originallity on a run of the mill pony, they really are cheap classic cars in real terms. Do what you want, personally I don't want a LHD car, as long as the conversion is done properly they can be better than new. I wouldn't even be concerned about swaping over something special, they are just cars at the end of the day. The cost is really not an issue I don't think as long as you allow for it.  People are happy to send $2-3k on wheels, $10+k on an engine, $13+k on paint, what's $5k ,if you want it right hook

Offline BLU302

• Worked
driving an LHD
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 12:55:15 pm »
:i:i

Offline scottdogs

• Thoroughbred
driving an LHD
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 05:24:19 pm »
I prefer left hook as I get the opportunity to chat to motorist whilst stuck at the lights :)

Can be a bit dodgy overtaking though.. just makes do it a lot quicker than usual....

I do think though that had mine been right hook I would have seen the four wheel drive coming that hit me in the side.

scott.

Offline ejmustang

• Worked
driving an LHD
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 05:49:05 pm »
i have had both and prefer RHD its much user friendly on our roads i watched a bloke at the toll gates one day he through the money and it went everywhere but in the basket then he had to get out and pick it up the cars behind werent amused .its up to you  john:}:+

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
driving an LHD
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:16:46 pm »
left and prefer it - why change it originality! and the big reason you dont have to register it! murf

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
driving an LHD
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:19:06 pm »
Don't have to register it???

Anyway, I prefer my LHD, it doesn't bother me, my Wife (and that IS important!!) or my brother, we've all driven it a lot.
Driven thru the city in peak hour, and at night, even drove it to Canberra (only drama was no Air Con and a black car!).

It really shouldn't matter where you sit in the car, apart from overtaking.  Even then, I can usually see from around the left side of the car in front.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline 68cobrajet

• Pony
driving an LHD
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 11:00:09 pm »
left hand drive it should stay that:+ way, as the mighty USA will buy it back some day!!!!!!
1967     GT   Fastback  S code
1968.5  GT     Fastback  R code

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
driving an LHD
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 11:03:47 pm »
I think lhd is the way to go! I always thought to myself owing an old car like that you would want to have it like it was because you would want to get the fun & driving experience of the car that you paid for. I now myself have seen so many mustangs & photos now that it really doesn’t feel weird at all driving lhd. Im now at that stage were I could change mine because it’s in pieces atm but u don’t need to so why bother I think. Also if you leave it lhd when u go to sell it you may be able to sell it back to someone I  the states because its still lhd
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline whiplash

• Worked
driving an LHD
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 11:43:43 am »
LHD all the way mate !!!! If it ain't broke ............................:i

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
driving an LHD
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 10:04:25 am »
No one in the US is going to want cars for Oz unless they are something really special, normal coupes etc even basic fastbacks, they've got plenty and they don't have to re-import them, or take the chance on buying sight unseen. It's not going to happen. Do with your cars as you wish and what suits you. Unless your looking to win a concours I wouldn't worry too much at all.

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
driving an LHD
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 10:30:44 am »
this thread is developing exactly the same way as the last on this topic....:_

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
driving an LHD
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 10:40:24 am »
Originally posted by Cruzn65
this thread is developing exactly the same way as the last on this topic....:_

It's always going to, simple as. People can justify to themselves why they do, or don't do stuff to cars. Some blokes think it's cool to have the wheel on the left. Having said that over the years some cars have been pretty well stuffed by poor conversions, but that need not be the case, if you do it right.

Offline blackbox

• Worked
driving an LHD
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 11:51:33 am »
Originally posted by ejmustang
i have had both and prefer RHD its much user friendly on our roads i watched a bloke at the toll gates one day he through the money and it went everywhere but in the basket then he had to get out and pick it up the cars behind werent amused .its up to you  john:}:+

Move into the 21st century and get a tag!
J.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
driving an LHD
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 12:30:04 pm »
Originally posted by jamessydney
Originally posted by ejmustang

Move into the 21st century and get a tag!
J.

True but if we were all living in the 21st century we'd be all driving BF falcons , VE Commodores and maybe an Hyundi or 2. Qld motorways are going to make everyone have e-toll soon.