Importing from Canada

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing from Canada  (Read 8513 times)

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Terry
Importing from Canada
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:19:08 pm »
Hi
Heading to Vancouver this December so might check out some cars. Wrong time of year for cars I know..but good skiing.   Favourable exchange rate now almost parity with Canadian $.  Been looking at very nice CJ on net for 65k Canadian so got me thinking it might work out.  See what's possible anyway.

I asked this question before..not long ago actually but would like to see if anymore info/ stories comes my way.

Anyone recently imported a car from Canada?

Do you pay any local taxes or anything or is it the same as importing from US where you pay GST and LCT if applicable once landed here?

Any experiences and recommendations on how to go about it appreciated. 

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:22:18 pm by TerryD »

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
Re: Importing from Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 02:52:38 pm »
Imagine the AU side is the same (I am bringing in one from the US as we speak)

For local (Canadian), if you can't get recent experience on here maybe chat to http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/ (they seem to indicate the local taxes are for residents only, email will solve)

cheers

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:23:16 pm »
Do you pay any local taxes or anything or is it the same as importing from US where you pay GST and LCT if applicable once landed here?

Same as importing from US: no duty, just GST and LCT if applicable.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:26:23 pm »
Great thanks.  Looked at the Legendary car website some very nice cars. 

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:40:30 pm »
Also be aware if you do ship out of a Canadian port, you will be waiting longer for a spot in a container than you would from the US.  Of course you have the option of booking a whole container but that pumps up your shipping costs.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:42:41 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:10:56 pm »
You could always bring back two and maybe cover the costs on sale of the second one. Canada is a bit of a worry though with all the snow they get
Stormin

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 11:22:41 pm »
You could always bring back two and maybe cover the costs on sale of the second one. Canada is a bit of a worry though with all the snow they get
Stormin

Understand what you're saying Stormin, but I've imported a couple of very nice cars from Minneapolis MN and it's on approximately the same latitude as Ottawa and Montreal. It comes back to the old rule - if you can't get there yourself, have your cars appraised before handing over the $$.
I once replied to a rare collectable in Connecticut (salt state) advertised as "show quality, never seen snow". I had an appraiser go check it out and it was the greatest POS you could imagine. Best $300 I've ever spent.

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 06:54:13 pm »
Yep I will be personally inspecting any car that's why I thought If I'm there on a holiday might as well see what's available. 
I have used Schumacher out of Long Beach before so would probably go the option of transporting to the US.   Might even get down to California.
want some  spare parts as well so might go shopping!

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:30:51 pm »
Yep I will be personally inspecting any car that's why I thought If I'm there on a holiday might as well see what's available. 
I have used Schumacher out of Long Beach before so would probably go the option of transporting to the US.   Might even get down to California.

Be aware a lot of US shipping companies won't/can't be bothered to arrange export from Canada via the US.  It requires a special kind of bonded transport permit that not many shippers specialize in.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:45:02 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 10:00:13 pm »
Ok thanks for that.  I still have all those questions and inquiries to make before I make a decision on what to do.  It's not easy buying a car when your on a family holiday.

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 12:03:52 am »
Yes I agree completely. Last year 2 of my sons and I went to the US for a holiday and to hopefully buy a car. Starting in LA, we spent 3 and a half weeks of a 5 week holiday zig zagging all over the place in the search for a nice car. After looking at a reasonably nice car in Beloit Wisconsin (car number 10) we drove back to Chicago for the night. I got up in the morning and announced that I'm sick of seeing corn fields and driving all day every day, and that I'm going back to Beloit to buy that car. My youngest son convinced me to look at one more in Cleveland Ohio which I bought because it was way better than anything else, but it certainly took up a lot of time that we could have spent sightseeing. No wonder my wife didn't want to come.

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 10:36:58 am »
That's a familiar story.  I can't help but think that in that situation auctions are the way to go.  You might pay a bit more but the choice say at Barrett Jackson or a Mecum auction is huge.  I bought a Chevelle years ago at a Barrett Jackson auction.  They had 3000+ cars there over a week.  Was a good experience to be there as well. These auctions run like clockwork and very well put together.  There's also lots of interesting people to meet and car stuff everywhere you look.  Would do it again.

Offline Sundance Kid

• Thoroughbred
  • Wtd time machine ..... in good working order
  • Name: Tony
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 05:42:04 pm »
Yes I agree completely. Last year 2 of my sons and I went to the US for a holiday and to hopefully buy a car. Starting in LA, we spent 3 and a half weeks of a 5 week holiday zig zagging all over the place in the search for a nice car. After looking at a reasonably nice car in Beloit Wisconsin (car number 10) we drove back to Chicago for the night. I got up in the morning and announced that I'm sick of seeing corn fields and driving all day every day, and that I'm going back to Beloit to buy that car. My youngest son convinced me to look at one more in Cleveland Ohio which I bought because it was way better than anything else, but it certainly took up a lot of time that we could have spent sightseeing. No wonder my wife didn't want to come.
..............HI SXTY8 ........I also drove to Cleveland Ohio(  car no 6 ) it was worth the drive saw different parts of the country and a private sale nice people with a passion for the mustang put the mind at ease . Sometime their is need to travel further to get a better classic car and good price . Transport by truck $2300 back to California . Just got to made that allowance into the adventure .... The highway are amazing so clean and smooth . Bet your happy with car u did buy . Cheers
1970 boss 302 mustang

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 08:54:04 pm »
Yep happy with car.  I was at Barratt Jackson for three days straight.  I was a real eye opener at the enormity and seriousness of of collection, restoration, customisation of classic cars.  I saw Copo and yenko chevs, superbirds, Boss 9's, hemis of every type, Shelbys, etc. Basically the biggest car show you will ever see and everything is for sale. 
I watched a rare car a Duesenburg from memory sell for 1.5 million. 
If you ever get the opportunity to go to Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale you won't regret it.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 09:08:30 pm »
It's not as easy as people think buying a good classic at a good price anywhere in the USA . You can spend days and days looking for a good car at a good price and drive many many miles .   Yes plenty of classic cars at the big auctions and plenty of polished turds also ,so you have to be very careful .  The prices are going up and up for good cars . Just because a car is for sale in a dry state doesn't mean it's always been in that state . Same goes buying in a bad/snowy state ,it doesn't mean it's been there forever either . 

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 10:23:54 pm »
I think it's fair to say we have all discovered unseen issues once we have the car in our garage.  You may not be in a position to inspect underneath without a hoist or to test the car under all conditions for example.  Especially when on the road and in a foreign country.  I know that when buying a car we are trying to thoroughly inspect so you know what you have and can make a reasonable offer.  A car can certainly present nicely.  But Unfortunately sometimes you can find yourself in a position where you can, at best, only rule out major issues such as rust and then check numbers where possible.  So yes I agree very difficult when you need to make a decision on the spot.

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 11:13:27 pm »
$2300 to ship a car to LA??? Strewth! I paid $1100 for transport of my car from Cleveland to LA. It went on a fifth wheel trailer behind a Dodge Ram Dually from Cleveland to Chicago, and then covered semi trailer for the 30 hr trip to LA.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 11:46:23 pm »
$2300 to ship a car to LA??? Strewth! I paid $1100 for transport of my car from Cleveland to LA. It went on a fifth wheel trailer behind a Dodge Ram Dually from Cleveland to Chicago, and then covered semi trailer for the 30 hr trip to LA.

Retail rates for covered semi transport are roughly $1 per mile so $2,300 is not out of the ballpark.  You got a very good deal...
Cheers,
Brian