Paint Help

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Paint Help  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Me_3

• Pony
    • http://www.lostminddesigns.com
Paint Help
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:13:33 pm »
Hi Guys,
I'm at the point in my project I need to think about putting some paint on in order to do more assembly, and although i've done quite a bit of painting this will be my first real experience doing a car. (I normally paint aircraft, which is a bit different)..

I'm looking at Grabber Yellow or a similar bright yellow, but im unsure about how the colour sprays, as I will have to do some panels at a different time to the main car, and I know some colours make a massive difference in final outcome with different numbers of coats etc..  Anybody here got some experience with spraying yellows? I'm most likely going to use Debeer paint if that helps? (I normally spray PPG Aerospace paint, the only debeer i've used is whites and some greys/blacks)

Any help would be great!

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Paint Help
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:27:12 pm »
It's mainly metallic's that cause the issue with painting panels separately. How deep the metallic flakes sit in the paint depends on how wet it's sprayed ... so painting separately can lead to a different look if they sit at different depths.

I prefer using a clear over basecoat, even for solid colours.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:57:46 pm »
Yellow tends to be weak now there is no lead in it, I wouldn't use Debeer either.  I'd put a white base under it or tint the primer. personally id paint it all at once, do the jambs first then back mask it.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:43:13 am »
Yep - yellow needs a base white layer.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 11:04:15 pm »
Yellow tends to be weak now there is no lead in it,

Got the same crap here . Covers like crap...looks like crap.

The yellow lead toners from PPG are, or were, numbers 741 and 742 . It was discontinued when I did my 1969 BOSS 302 so I called around to several shops in the US and bought all if it that I could find . I sent a gallon of 742 with my car to Robert Rampton in OZ when he bought it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:11:12 pm by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 11:05:40 pm »
I would do whatever I could to get lead based paint if it's legal to spray it.

Offline Me_3

• Pony
    • http://www.lostminddesigns.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 05:48:21 pm »
Thats what I was afraid of..  I guess I will go to my backup colour scheme... Black :-)

Now to get down to the paint-shop....