Wanted to buy r code Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Wanted to buy r code Mustang  (Read 10511 times)

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
Re: Wanted to buy r code Mustang
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 05:16:02 pm »
 Well my `ol`yeller  has 92 % of its original sheet metal , firewall was changed for rhd ,  been bastardized mechanically in the past,  :sick:    ,now all proper cobrajet /bullnose etc , been  painted   :thumb:  but never restored   :pepper:  , solid  driver , and put it with the rest and it draws the looks also . 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:11:13 pm by staddy »
1969 GT350H

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Terry
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 06:42:13 pm »
Thanks for the offer again. 

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 04:27:50 pm »
Your entitled to your opinion but the truth is I just haven't found the right car.  It's not like there's many to choose from.  "Closing" as you put it has never been a problem in the past I have travelled to the states and bought cars privately and at auctions before.

I'm looking for an original 4 speed r code with mostly original sheet metal. Are you saying that's not possible?  If your referring to the fact I'm not interested in the Q code I gave my reason which I think is reasonable.  It's a personal preference like buying any car.

If I can't find what I'm after,  I simply won't be spending 100-120k.   I am also looking for several other cars so a case of what comes my way first.

Thanks for the replies.

Fair enough Terry, I wasn't  aware of your previous activities. Are you aware of Jim's car being for sale on the 428 Registry site. He has recently listed it on Hemmings ... https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/1932691.html
For those not aware this is a W code 69 Mustang SCJ and is well known and respected in the R code community in USA.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 04:31:46 pm »
W code ,great for hwy cruising NOT  :lmao:

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2017, 07:17:42 pm »

Nah terry not doing a pitch to you , I see the type of car your after ,, but just showing that there are cars out there with most of there original sheet metal ,so you just gotta keep  looking as you are doing , that car Pedro has shown there , now only if that was over here in Aus   :drool:  good luck in your hunt  :thumb:
1969 GT350H

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 08:01:47 pm »
Nah terry not doing a pitch to you , I see the type of car your after ,, but just showing that there are cars out there with most of there original sheet metal ,so you just gotta keep  looking as you are doing , that car Pedro has shown there , now only if that was over here in Aus   :drool:  good luck in your hunt  :thumb:

Staddy, if I had the room and money I would be all over your car, changing the colour is no problem at all.

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 08:43:16 pm »

Ohh unilec that's the beauty if the colour doesn`t bother the person  , because its a "Special Paint, Ford # Unknown" , so it can be any of the Rainbow of colour , colours and that's it ,  no one can really say any different .
1969 GT350H

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 12:31:46 pm »

Fair enough Terry, I wasn't  aware of your previous activities. Are you aware of Jim's car being for sale on the 428 Registry site. He has recently listed it on Hemmings ... https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/1932691.html
For those not aware this is a W code 69 Mustang SCJ and is well known and respected in the R code community in USA.

Thanks I checked it out on Hemings.  Do you know Jim? Is he known to this forum?
That car would be very close to what I'm after esp. if I could negotiate the price a bit.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 01:07:28 pm »
Terry, I assume you've checked out this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282410037373
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Pedro

• Worked
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2017, 09:05:39 pm »
Thanks I checked it out on Hemings.  Do you know Jim? Is he known to this forum?
That car would be very close to what I'm after esp. if I could negotiate the price a bit.

I don't know Jim personally but he is well known and so is his car on this forum ... https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php.
If you go on the forum you will see his car listed in the classifieds. He gives contact info in his opening post and if you scroll down through the comments you will see this car is known and revered amongst 428 aficionados. If I had the money, I'd be on a plane over there. You don't see too many w code SCJ's with known history and this quality patina.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2017, 09:19:26 pm »
Hey Pedro those 4.3 diff gears would make it go but hopeless on the hwy anything over 80 kph

Offline Pedro

• Worked
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2017, 09:39:35 pm »
I wouldn't let that stop me buying that car Glenn. Can always put another centre in it for cruising.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2017, 09:44:01 pm »
Yep a 3.25 ratio would be nice .  Will be a 31 spline also .

Offline Reverend

• Stallion
  • Name: Jon
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 10:45:27 am »
I have an auto Im thinking of selling
1968 Convertible

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 06:11:41 pm »
If you want "mostly" original sheet metal you will most likely have to go to the USA. Restoring a car in OZ does not lend itself to using, finding original sheet metal. Does taking a guard off one car and putting it on another qualify as original sheet metal? Yes and no for a lot of reasons. For me to restore mine would have been endless bucket trying to find, "original sheet metal". I believe mine is prob better than original in that department. If somebody pulls up next to me at a set of lights and leans out the window to tell me I have a repo tail light panel. well I'll live with that, cause it will still be a double R code at the end of the day. I know some people love original steel and we would all love to have it. Fact is, very few cars have it. Good luck in your search

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 07:03:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply
The discussion on original sheetmetal came about when asked about a car for sale that I know had most of its original sheet metal replaced.  I just made the point that wasn't the car for me for that reason.  If a car has a front guard or a new floor pan replaced I can live with that just not the entire car.  Interior the same...rather some imperfections in an original interior than a brand new one.  A personal preference I guess.
If there was a car with lots of sheetmetal replaced but was a good car in every other respect I would still consider though..wouldn't just pass for that reason alone.

Offline Reverend

• Stallion
  • Name: Jon
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 08:34:32 pm »
I'll take that as a no....
1968 Convertible

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 08:57:09 pm »

I think Terry's quite firm on a manual...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2017, 09:31:03 pm »

:thud:
1969 GT350H

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2017, 09:37:24 pm »
              :thud:

...that isn't yours!
Cheers,
Brian

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2017, 11:12:08 pm »

Sorry mate I PMed you.   Let me know if you didn't get it.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2017, 03:18:03 pm »
TerryD I spoke to a guy today that is thinking of selling his 69 R code ,red , 4 speed manual , not a drag pack. .I saw this car a few years ago and it looked  nice ,but that's all I know about it . Gold Coast QLD .  I will pm you his details if your still interested .
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:38:23 pm by GLENN 70 »