Generation 6 - S550 Discussion Area > Exhaust Systems

Ford Dealership GT Cat Back Exhaust

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lev:
I made a decision and purchased the borla S-type 3 inch cat back exhaust, I will keep you posted on how it goes once its installed.

Mike at Best Exhaust has been brilliant to deal with and I highly recommend him, great service 😄

mwizz:
Good decision Lev

MikeG:

--- Quote from: Lev on February 02, 2017, 06:28:03 pm ---Ford Dealership have their own GT Cat Back exhaust that they supply and install directly. 
Has anyone purchased this?
Any reviews or Videos of what it sounds like?

--- End quote ---

FYI (as discussed with Lev directly, but shared for the benefit of others) the FP Exhausts are just rebadged Borla exhausts.  Sadly Ford USA doesn;t deal with real importers so availability is hit and miss.

FP Sport Exhaust = Borla ATAK Exhaust (available in both GT350 and GT style tips)
FP Touring Exhaust = Borla S-Type Exhaust (GT style tips only)
FP EC-Type = Borla EC-Type (GT style tips only)
Borla also offers a "Touring" exhaust that is a S-Type with a centre resonator muffler.

Compare for yourself.

http://www.bestexhaust.com.au/store/2015-c-78_90_215_2262.html

All 2.5" GT systems are in stock in Australia, and economy shipping is FREE.

Mike

JasonK:
For no other reason than my own education, can someone who knows confirm for me re any change in power from fitting a larger (pipe diameter) exhaust?

I had always thought putting bigger pipes on gave a (quite modest) increase in oomph. It stands to reason as bigger pipes is usually part of any 'stage upgrade', along with air intake and a tune, maybe even a bigger and better throttle body.

But someone told me they had been told adding a larger exhaust may actually reduce power.

Being a complete nuffy when it comes to all things mechanical, can someone who actually knows their stuff let me know which is correct?

MikeG:
Hey Jason.

On a normally aspirated car any increase in power from just an exhaust will be minuscule.  we're talking 1-2 kW max.  Turbos are where most of the exhaust benefits are found in terms of power.

The main point of these exhaust mods on the GT in my opinion are sound more than anything...

The 2.5" Borla system is a good improvement on the factory system both in flow and sound, but going to a 3" system will reduce the exhaust gas velocity (same gasses going through a bigger pipe will move slower).  Why is this bad???

Extractors work to essentially suck the exhaust gasses out of the combustion chambers, and this works by using exhaust gas velocity to suck gasses out of the chamber to make room for clean air to get maximum power out of the combustion mixture.

Moving to a 3" system will (at low rpm) reduce the exhaust gas velocity thereby making the extractors less efficient at sucking out exhaust gasses, so you'll see a reduction of power from the engine at low rpm.  I've seen this on all sorts of cars, however on turbo cars this is less of a problem, and on supercharged cars the benefits of 3" outweigh the losses you'll see at low rpm.

So my advice is to stick with 2.5" unless you're planning to go supercharged.

That said the losses of the GT may be unnoticeable on such a large engine, so the benefit is more around cost, as the 2.5" systems are usually cheaper.

Does that make sense?  Let me know if I've not explained something sufficiently and I'll elaborate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version