1966 Mustang Coupe GT - Concours Quality - Value? Help

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1966 Mustang Coupe GT - Concours Quality - Value? Help  (Read 15113 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Re: 1966 Mustang Coupe GT - Concours Quality - Value? Help
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 10:22:42 am »
Things like RHD and air conditioning all devalue a true K code because your dealing with a car that's highest value is in being original.

I can still see someone paying more for a K-Code if the choice is between 2 identical RHD & air conditioned cars or choosing the K-code over the other one, all things being identical apart from the code. I'd always choose the K-Code between 2 identical cars as people are still going to write off K-codes, parts will show up or be reproduced somewhere in the future, in the meantime I can imagine some having a psychological satisfaction that they own what used to be an original K-code.

s
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:32:37 am by StephenSLR »

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 10:35:53 am »
what used to be an original .

s

That's like saying a written of Porsche is worth full price, if your buying what used to be original, expect to be paying C Code prices.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 10:57:25 am »
It's lost it's K code value . A RHD conversion would cost 15k or more but doesn't put 15k of extra value on the car ,just good for a buyer that wants a RHDrive mustang .

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2016, 10:58:22 am »
That's like saying a written off Porsche is worth full price

Is $50k full price though? I thought an original K-Code would fetch more, where's Birdman?

s
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:00:38 am by StephenSLR »

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 12:41:41 pm »
Like all things Mustang the price is dependant on condition & what options i.e. engine code, transaction, interior, colour etc......  However a true price for vehicle is whatever someone is willing to pay not just because it's a driver, Modified or Concours correct. 

Whilst it might be a K I know and heard of A & C codes going for higher. Don't forget the Ring Brothers have been building non standard cars for years and they are pretty high dollar value cars.  So should there cars being less valuable because they aren't standard.

Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 12:56:52 pm »
I doubt it has the K code engine still, looks like it may have a serpentine  belt so could be a late model roller cam engine.

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 01:41:55 pm »
My understanding the only difference between the blocks were K Codes had the VIN stamped on them. I know K codes head different heads, balancer & alternator pulley.
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 02:21:57 pm »
The K code mustangs were different in so many ways . The K code engine was out of the Fairlanes and comets then into the mustangs .  Carby,dizzy, rods,rod bolts,solid lifter cam, heads ,more compression ,exhaust manifolds ,balancer and a better crank shaft . Then the whole drive line inc a 9 inch LSD diff ,then the suspension and exhaust . So an A code was just an up grade from a C code and the K code was totally different and that's why shelby turned the into shelby GT350 mustangs . Ford did well building the K code .

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 05:02:01 pm »
The K code mustangs were different in so many ways . The K code engine was out of the Fairlanes and comets then into the mustangs .  Carby,dizzy, rods,rod bolts,solid lifter cam, heads ,more compression ,exhaust manifolds ,balancer and a better crank shaft . Then the whole drive line inc a 9 inch LSD diff ,then the suspension and exhaust . So an A code was just an up grade from a C code and the K code was totally different and that's why shelby turned the into shelby GT350 mustangs . Ford did well building the K code .

:agree: with Glenn.
Now once it's been converted to RHD it's lost its pure value. It's been modified. Just my honest opinion.
The engine is running a serpentine belt so there goes the one main item from the K Code list. Any pics of the door tag and chassis number? Also need to check the rear frame rails.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 05:03:09 pm »
Is $50k full price though? I thought an original K-Code would fetch more, where's Birdman?

s

I'm here flapping my wings Stephen lol

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »

s

Well it's not original anymore Stephen. No engine and looks like most parts are missing and the RHD conversation has probably just reduced the price by at least $15k

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 06:00:17 pm »
No engine and looks like most parts are missing and the RHD conversation has probably just reduced the price by at least $15k

So how much would an original K-Code in similar condition be worth by your estimation?

s

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 06:26:40 pm »
The conversion I think is likely a high standard as the heater controls have been moved which actually quite rare, It may be  a John Greene conversion as he is one of the only blokes who used to move the heater controls. I think 50K is a bit steep, I think its a mid high $30k car , having said that you couldn't build it for that if its sound and tidy. But forget about the K code thing I suspect the only K code bit left is the Chassis number, K code blocks had bigger main caps as well. Crank is standard but they were brinnel tested for hardness.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2016, 06:44:15 pm »
I think 50K is a bit steep, I think its a mid high $30k car

I was under the impression they'd were worth a lot more, thinking a concours quality 66 coupe RHD could fetch 50k.

s
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:10:41 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 07:07:10 pm »
As a K code it has no more value than an A code GT ,and saying that I would put a value of around 35K to 39K if it was still LHD ,being RHD and costing around 15K for a conversion would maybe raise the selling value to 45k to 47k if it's a good car ,To the right person that wants a RHD mustang . My thoughts only . Also in 1966 the K code manual had either a 3.5 or a 3.89 ratio diff centre .  In a 65 K code they had a 4.11 ratio also  :burnout: .
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:18:38 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 08:28:21 pm »
So how much would an original K-Code in similar condition be worth by your estimation?

s

I was thinking $40k mark.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2016, 08:32:47 pm »
As a K code it has no more value than an A code GT ,and saying that I would put a value of around 35K to 39K if it was still LHD ,being RHD and costing around 15K for a conversion would maybe raise the selling value to 45k to 47k if it's a good car ,To the right person that wants a RHD mustang . My thoughts only . Also in 1966 the K code manual had either a 3.5 or a 3.89 ratio diff centre .  In a 65 K code they had a 4.11 ratio also  :burnout: .

Exactly my thoughts Glenn. Someone might even pay higher for the right colour car and with a correct RHD conversion. Upto $55-60k

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2016, 08:43:59 pm »
bird man 40K really ,I was thinking up to 50 K + . You would have to pay around 40 grand in the USA for a good original K code coupe .
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:16:00 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2016, 10:14:00 pm »
bird man 40K really ,I was thinking up to 50 K . You would have to pay around 40 grand in the USA for a good original K code coupe .

So sorry, typo era. $50k. My apologies.

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2016, 10:30:18 pm »
It's worth what a buyer is willing to pay. LHD fetch more than RHD, even accounting for the extra expense of the conversion, but some, maybe most, want RHD. My RHD A code Factory GT is probably worth $10k less than what I paid 9 years ago, not including the $10k+ I've spent (so I've lost $20k + inflation), Mr Birdman would agree I'm sure as he knows my ride. Having said that, I have the pleasure of owning a piece of history, didn't buy it for investment, bought it bcoz I wanted it.
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2016, 10:50:42 pm »
It's worth what a buyer is willing to pay. LHD fetch more than RHD, even accounting for the extra expense of the conversion, but some, maybe most, want RHD. My RHD A code Factory GT is probably worth $10k less than what I paid 9 years ago, not including the $10k+ I've spent (so I've lost $20k + inflation), Mr Birdman would agree I'm sure as he knows my ride. Having said that, I have the pleasure of owning a piece of history, didn't buy it for investment, bought it bcoz I wanted it.

Yes I agree mate. Back then there wasn't any choice, had to convert them. At least you drive your Pony unlike some that don't even see daylight. Driven NOT hidden

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2016, 09:56:20 am »
LHD fetch more than RHD, even accounting for the extra expense of the conversion, but some, maybe most, want RHD.

Most want RHD but LHD gets more?

Wow, Mustangs defy the laws of supply and demand.

s

Offline teacherspet

• Worked
  • Name: Pete
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2016, 10:27:44 am »

When I was searching for another Mustang to buy it had to be LHD. RHD American cars just don't appeal to me, no matter how good they are. Just my personal opinion.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2016, 10:29:37 am »
I disagree with that . A RHD mustang will get more money or the same as a LHD one ,UNLESS you are talking a collectable model , Then LHD pulls bigger dollars . A conversion cost on our old classics on average is $15,000 plus ,but you won't get that full amount back when selling a RHD .

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2016, 10:40:08 am »
When I was searching for another Mustang to buy it had to be LHD. RHD American cars just don't appeal to me, no matter how good they are. Just my personal opinion.

I agree, initially I wanted a RHD Mustang thinking it'd be less hassle but after reading the feedback here I decided to give LHD a go and I love it. I'll never convert one to RHD and I'm now suspicious about conversions. I realise some are done very well but I see no reason to mess with it if you don't have to.

s