Generation 6 - S550 Discussion Area > Tech Torque Post 2015

***IMPORTANT YOU ALL READ THIS**** OEM Oil Cooler Issues on the s550 GT

(1/3) > >>

Mark@stage3:
Just had a rather disturbing conversation with one of the shops we supply over in the UK. Turns out that there have been issues with the oil coolers getting cooked due to its proximity to the passenger side catalytic converter. When the RHD Mustang was designed, some bright spark at Ford relocated the oil cooler moved it from the front of the engine, where it usually sits on the US Spec s550, where your steering box now sits, and mounted it to the passenger side of the engine very close to the cat. Because of this there have been reports of the coolers cracking and leaking oil, all the way up to completely failing and draining the engines dry!!! Ford UK have now reportedly replaced four 5.0 engines, and 1 poor soul was reportedly filmed going down the road with the front half of his car in flames!!

If you have an s550 GT please be aware of this!! It's not a scare tactic or a sales pitch, just want to make sure you are all safe!! There is a shop in the UK working on a relocation kit for this problem as we speak. When I have more info on it I will pass it along!!

mwizz:
I would assume then there will be a recall and fix

Mark@stage3:
You're probably right. But if it's anything like the intercooler "fix" they did on the 11-12 EcoBoost F150's...I would still be a bit worried.

Vinno:
Hi Guy's, my first post here and I was just reading about a S550 owner on the S550 Australia Facebook page who had his Oil and water mix a couple of weeks ago. Turns out it was the cooler mentioned in this topic but a different issue. An internal failure meant the oil and water mixed. He has just received the car back and this post was mentioned.

It seems odd that the aftermarket are working on a fix and Ford seem to be silent on it here. I've had mine for almost 4 weeks so it is something I will definately be looking at as apparently the loss of oil is not picked up by any sensors until the engine is dry.

JasonK:

--- Quote from: Vinno on February 14, 2017, 10:06:19 pm ---It seems odd that the aftermarket are working on a fix and Ford seem to be silent on it is dry.

--- End quote ---

Just a guess, but aftermarket have a sales or profit motivation. For Ford it is a cost control issue*.

And a ginormous one, if Ford issue a recall they and retrofit all non-US 5.0's, that's probably of millions in costs, at the very least.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version