Correct VIN Plate?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Correct VIN Plate?  (Read 11075 times)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Correct VIN Plate?
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 09:23:47 am »
It looks the real deal to me . The only other things I can think of are the different brackets at the back where the exhaust comes out the rear panel but I don't think you can see them and the hole that is in the dash for the fog light switch is not a round hole ,one side is flat ,but you can't see that either .  Just give it a good look over for rust and put it up on a hoist . Ask the seller if you can pour some water down into the vent panel where the wiper arms are to see if any water comes inside the car onto the front floor .

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 10:05:09 am »
It looks the real deal to me . The only other things I can think of are the different brackets at the back where the exhaust comes out the rear panel but I don't think you can see them and the hole that is in the dash for the fog light switch is not a round hole ,one side is flat ,but you can't see that either .  Just give it a good look over for rust and put it up on a hoist . Ask the seller if you can pour some water down into the vent panel where the wiper arms are to see if any water comes inside the car onto the front floor .
Yup the rear exhaust hangar attachments on the GT have a doubler plate inside the rails which are installed b4 the boot floor is welded, you can stick your pinky in a hole on the side of the rail & feel them. Also when you remove the instrument cluster, there is a half round cutout at the bottom of the cluster aperture.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:07:06 am by GT Sally »
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 11:18:43 am »
Ditto as GT Sally says about the exhaust hanger attachments. Mustangs could have dual rather than single exhaust & not be a GT but not the other way around.
Another subtle detail examination to make is with the fog lamps - cars factory fitted with fog lamps, such as the GT, have punched holes to enable the wiring to pass through the radiator support panel, not drilled; & when owners fit fog lamps to replicate a GT they either have to drill or just run the wires through any handy aperture.

But that car looks nice in the pictures, certainly the GT option whether original or retro-fitted sits well on a Mustang.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:26:19 am by 67FBGT »

Offline Tiny

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 08:56:42 pm »
Magnificent.  Being RHD is exceptional.  thanks for the reply.
67 390 GTA Coupe with Vinyl Roof
PS, A/C

Offline 65 GT HIPO

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 09:39:15 pm »
Also when you remove the instrument cluster, there is a half round cutout at the bottom of the cluster aperture.

all 66's have this cut for the 5 dial gauges, you  would be looking for this cutout on 65 Gt's Also with GT's when fog lights are on  the taillights should also come on ,

65  K CODE GT COUPE  may 1965
65  K CODE COUPE December 1964 (Arvinode Exhaust

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2016, 12:15:19 pm »
Great information guys.  thanks heaps.  To add some more fuel to the fire I got hold of the entire image of the Door Tag.  The axle shows its a '7'' however all of my research shows there was no 7 for the 1966 mustang.  I have attached the full Door Tag and VIN image to this post.  Any more thoughts?

Hi Tiny,

To check if this VIN stamped on the fender is correct. There is another VIN on the opposite of the engine bay in the same position.  These two VINS should match.  As another person has mentioned the Fender stamping VIN doesn't quite look right to me. 

Herman
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »
I agree the stamping looks a bit neat and tidy . Ask the seller to show you the import approval which he should have but if he doesn't you can apply for a copy from Canberra . At least that way you can see when and who imported it and check the vin .

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 04:48:00 pm »
I agree the stamping looks a bit neat and tidy . Ask the seller to show you the import approval which he should have but if he doesn't you can apply for a copy from Canberra . At least that way you can see when and who imported it and check the vin .

I see in one pic that there is a rear number plate, so import approval would have been needed for that to happen.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 05:27:23 pm »
Yes to have rego it would have had to have one ,but would be nice to check it out .

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 10:56:04 am »
I didn't think import approvals were issued prior to '89?
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 03:52:35 pm »
Well import papers . I had them for my 70 Mach 1 when I imported it back in 1988 . When I put rego on it for the 1 st time I had to show the import paper work . Back then I had to convert it to right hand drive also .

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2016, 06:07:54 pm »
The fender vin stamp is original 110% guaranteed . Anyone that thinks it does not look correct is misstaken.

To determine if it is likely a real GT, simply remove the fog lite switch . If the hole in the dash is round it is not a GT.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:12:41 pm by barnett468 »

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2016, 07:27:11 pm »
The fender vin stamp is original 110% guaranteed . Anyone that thinks it does not look correct is misstaken.

To determine if it is likely a real GT, simply remove the fog lite switch . If the hole in the dash is round it is not a GT.
That won't work for RHD!
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2016, 09:43:23 pm »
Check some of the other subtle GT details, like the twin exhaust brackets in the frames, & the wiring through the radiator panel.
Am not 110% convinced about the VIN stamping being 110% legit, in the photo it looks uneven to me, I have heard rumours of numbers supposedly being changed by being beaten out then the panel re-stamped. If the data plate was an original matching then of course yes, but it's not.
So caveat emptor.
But it's a nice looking car in the photos, factory GT or not.
Hope we haven't completely put the OP off by now, but these dialogues are important.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:06:22 am by 67FBGT »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2016, 10:23:01 pm »
It's LHD isn't it ? The fog light switch hole is not round ,it has a flat on one side and it's a pressed hole not drilled .

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 11:49:11 pm »
Am not 110% convinced about the VIN stamping being 110% legit

Doesn't matter, it is legit.