New Member - 68 Coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New Member - 68 Coupe  (Read 4381 times)

Offline djhaddo1

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Dan
New Member - 68 Coupe
« on: June 27, 2016, 12:27:19 pm »
Hi all,

I'm currently in Hawaii for a work contract, and thought we may as well take advantage of the Personal Import Scheme, so I just bought my wife her dream car for her birthday, a 68 Coupe. Which was immediately christened Jolene.

She was a 6cyl car, but has been tinkered with at some point, having a 351W from a 94 Bronco and a late model C4. (Not that I'm complaining.)

So far, we have had the tired C4 replaced with a correct period c4 unit, with a shift kit. Sorted out the previous owners dodgy engine swap (had the wrong engine plate on!!), installed a brake booster and freshened up the dash. Still have to renew front seats and fix the rust in the outer skin around the rear wheel arches. Possibly also a fresh set of Cragar S/S rims, the Edelbrock top end kit  and a fresh exhaust system to round it off.

Any other ideas on what we could do here prior to shipping late 2017? My wife does not want concourse original, instead wants "period" feel.

Dan.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
Re: New Member - 68 Coupe
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:51:19 pm »
Welcome! While you are still in Hawaii, you would be smart to go around the whole car and look at dress bits that may be getting tatty and replace them.
It is good to see another 68 coupe on the forum. Mine also started out as a 6 cylinder and now sports a roller cam 5.0l.
Cheers, Ron B.

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 02:59:45 pm »
I just bought my wife her dream car for her birthday, a 68 Coupe.

Your wife has excellent taste.  :thumb:

Welcome to the forum.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 03:58:01 pm »
Nice one, just hope you are not from Sth Aus (or anywhere) where the mods you have done will not be tolerated by road/rego authorities. Do your due diligence to save heartache down the track.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 04:08:28 pm »
I notice in the front on picture, ypu seem to be missing the headlight rings that fill the gap arount the headlights. Repros are available through, I think, Scott Drake.

Offline djhaddo1

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Dan
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 04:21:03 pm »
For some reason the previous owner put on black rings. I've got a chrome set on order.

I'm probably heading somewhere on the east coast when I get back, but won't find out until Jul next year. The engine change is an issue, whomever did the swap removed all the electronic systems to make it as close to the 69 engine as possible. Not sure whether to make enquiries as soon as I find out where I'm going or plead ignorance.

Dan

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 06:15:35 pm »
Wont be an issue in QLD and why would you want to live anywhere else when you get back anyway.
I believe that by 68, the 6 & the V8 had the same steering and suspension.
If incorrect, i would be checking that the V8 changeover has been completely done.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|