Quick Fuel Carbie Choice

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Quick Fuel Carbie Choice  (Read 36417 times)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Quick Fuel Carbie Choice
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 05:23:46 pm »
Get Horsepower-solutions at Capalaba to run it up, they have a pretty new Dyno dynamics unit, and they know their shit they tune most of the Trans-am cars.. I still would not use a flat tappet solid cam Roller cams are what you want it will make it much nicer, you can have a solid roller if you want it to rattle a bit. The Dyno Dynamics are made here and a pretty accurate they are about as good as you can get.

http://www.horsepowersolutions.com.au/

Who is the builder?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:31:32 pm by shaunp »

Offline bank1957

• Worked
  • Owner of the Oldest D Code Mustang Coupe in Aus
  • Name: Frank
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 06:00:18 pm »
John Ambrosi from Gasoline Alley

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 06:03:15 pm »
Has he got all the stuff for it yet, are you commited to anything?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 06:08:03 pm »
I'd really think you should perhaps talk to a couple of other guys if you are not committed, I'd recomend you talk to Ian Woodward at Fataz ( tell him I sent you),or Marty White from White racing engines, or even Horsepower solutions just to get some other opinions.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:51:43 pm by shaunp »

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 06:10:52 pm »
Unfortunately committed due to insurance claim. Shannons paying 75% of the bill
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 06:24:18 pm by bank1957 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 06:16:19 pm »
You cant get out of it  are you sure they wont pay you out? Are you sure they wont let you take it elsewhere to seek some other options?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:52:27 pm by shaunp »

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 06:25:57 pm »
You cant get out of it  are yo sure they wont pay you out? Are you sure they wont let you take it elsewhere to seek some other options?

Too late. It took over 6 months for Shannons to formally accept the claim, however I have a guarantee for life from Shannons for the repairs.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 06:32:21 pm »
Too late. It took over 6 months for Shannons to formally accept the claim, however I have a guarantee for life from Shannons for the repairs.

Ok hope you are happy with the result. Call by for a beer one day when you are on the southside and your car is back on the road.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 06:44:25 pm »

But they can't give you a guarantee on the performance . It's your money, so you can certainly tell the builder how you want it done, and again, it is blatantly obvious that this guy has absolutely no fkng idea what he is doing.

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2016, 06:45:48 pm »
Ok hope you are happy with the result. Call by for a beer one day when you are on the southside and your car is back on the road.

Will do. Spoke to Peter (Teachers Pet) who has a twin of my car, 64 1/2 D code coupe also in poppy red. Once his car and mine are finished we should meet up,hopefully before the end of the month. His car came off the line a day after mine.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 07:00:07 pm »
Will do. Spoke to Peter (Teachers Pet) who has a twin of my car, 64 1/2 D code coupe also in poppy red. Once his car and mine are finished we should meet up,hopefully before the end of the month. His car came off the line a day after mine.

Yep Pete is a good guy.  I'm always happy to help you guys out where I can, I'm in it for the fun and the love of old cars. 69ish on this forum has a real nice 69 fastback, he had some trouble with a 347 crate engine, we sorted  his car out, runs 11's now on a good day in street trim with AC, would be faster with a couple other things but like most of us he is on a budget . Don't hesitate to call.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:31:04 pm by shaunp »

Offline teacherspet

• Worked
  • Name: Pete
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 07:27:40 pm »
Yep Pete is a good guy.

Awww shucks Shaun, flattery will get you everywhere!  :grin:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 08:32:02 pm »
Yeah you guys just need to bring beer or bourbon, and I'm anyones

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 12:19:00 am »
I'm always happy to help you guys out where I can, I'm in it for the fun and the love of old cars.

Than you can be happy helping him install a different cam and diff gears if he decides he wants it to accelerate half way decently.  :bolt:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 09:23:49 am »
Than you can be happy helping him install a different cam and diff gears if he decides he wants it to accelerate half way decently.  :bolt:

We will see, Though Gasoline alley said the will make it all good

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2016, 10:44:30 am »
300 HP at the rear wheels in a early coupe and a manual transmission will  :burnout: 

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2016, 11:23:03 am »
Barneys comment about  "my 300 rwhp car slower than a 3 legged dog and an old lady driving a Lincoln" obviously hadn't seen my 75 Celica burn down the track in the late 70's. He mustn't have street or track raced in his youth. That's if his grey matter is still in tack. Mine on the other hand is sharp as a ever.

I hear what he says about acceleration etc,I have taken his comments on board, and as they said,the proof will be in the pudding.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2016, 12:57:51 pm »
Probably pretty low risk of getting burned off at the lights by a Lincoln Town Car down in this hemisphere but worse still you could get hosed by a Holden. However, you'll still have a Mustang and the Holden driver won't so not so much of a problem.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »
Barneys comment about  "my 300 rwhp car slower than a 3 legged dog and an old lady driving a Lincoln" obviously hadn't seen my 75 Celica burn down the track in the late 70's. He mustn't have street or track raced in his youth. That's if his grey matter is still in tack. Mine on the other hand is sharp as a ever.

I hear what he says about acceleration etc,I have taken his comments on board, and as they said,the proof will be in the pudding.

You might want to read my comments again since you are drawing inaccurate conclusions . You completely missed several obvious points and obviously have no idea how to build a performance combo which is why some of us that do know how are trying to help you.

You also haven't answered my question about the carb.

people that chase hp numbers only are often people that end up chasing other peoples tail lights.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:19:40 pm by barnett468 »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2016, 02:21:07 pm »
With that cam and 3.00 diff gears it won't be very nice off the line and will be hard on the clutch . Then going slow or cruising it will tend to pig root at low revs .  66 vert on here went old school solid lifter cam and it's a manual but not sure what diff gears he runs but he loves it . 

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2016, 02:24:26 pm »
Also what intake are you going to use ? . And what size rear wheels ? .

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2016, 05:31:16 pm »
Interesting read. I agree it is not an ideal combination but it is what it is.
Have fun.

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2016, 05:32:18 pm »
Also what intake are you going to use ? . And what size rear wheels ? .

Intake is an Edelbrock performer rpm air gap, and the rear tyres are 215x15 on 'ol school Cragar S/S; soon to be replaced with 235 or 255 x 15's,since I've had the guards properly rolled, I know the 235's will fit, since I had them initially on the car but they rubbed just a tad. Hence why I went down a size.

Barney I value your problem solving comments, but not your sarcasm (the use of irony to mock or convey contemp). I believe that on this forum I am not Robinson Crusoe on this matter. But what the hey, at times it is funny

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2016, 05:35:36 pm »
With that cam and 3.00 diff gears it won't be very nice off the line and will be hard on the clutch . Then going slow or cruising it will tend to pig root at low revs .  66 vert on here went old school solid lifter cam and it's a manual but not sure what diff gears he runs but he loves it .

66vert's car has 3.5 true track rear, its ok Ive driven it  revs nice bit doey down low , it has Dart 195 heads from memory. He had a few issues, took a while to sort the whole package out, its ok now. Think it made about 270 at wheels but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:41:08 pm by shaunp »

Offline bank1957

• Worked
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2016, 06:07:05 pm »

people that chase hp numbers only are often people that end up chasing other peoples tail lights.

[/quote]

I'm not only after hp, but an overall package. Torque also guaranteed to be around 375 ft-lbs, mild lumpy cam.

Getting off the lights and smoking some other car, dog, bike, wheelie; doesn't interest me. I've  done the 1/4 mile in Top Fuel back in my day when a 5 sec pass was considered the best there was.

I'm too old and wise to be suckered into any shit like that and it'snot meant to be a track car anyway.

But thanks for your views. :cheers: