New wheels...

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New wheels...  (Read 5719 times)

Offline RtB

• Pony
  • Stay with me on this...
New wheels...
« on: June 05, 2016, 03:58:58 pm »
Hello all...   I have a 65 fastback with genuine torque thrusters (gt350) style which look amazing.   But I've always wanted the 15 inch pressed "styled steelies" with some white-lettered BF goodrich tyres.   Long story short but I went to custom mustangs (sponsor) in Seaford (Vic) and he had a set of "new" scott drake alloys he called Magnum wheels (I didn't think they were but he knows better than me!) and he was talking me into them (lighter on steering, better string feel, brake response, great reproduction wheel blah blah blah).   I demurred for the time being but I was interested to hear the membership view on them.   Quality update?   Ugly heresy?   I know wheels are like shoes and everyone has their own opinion but the wheels are intended for "occasional use" for summer sort of thing, so a fresh look isn't so bad.   The torque's remain the every-day look.

Opinions???  Link shows the wheel I mean...

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwilm6m2mJDNAhVFe6YKHaDMAMQQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scottdrake.net%2F&psig=AFQjCNGZlv6hr_3Gl4mtEJ4jbMcjauTLQg&ust=1465192177343981

Offline RtB

• Pony
Re: New wheels...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 04:00:12 pm »
stuffed up the link - if you click it, the LEGENDARY wheels are the ones I'm talking about!!!!

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 08:04:20 pm »
The styled steel wheels would match your car being a 65. I personally like them. The magnums are more suited for the 69 / 70 but they can be used on any model if you like them.

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 08:19:10 pm »
I maybe biased but i think a set of Minilites are the way to go.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:46:47 pm »
I agree with Fitzy. Performer Superlites.

Offline RuffCoupe

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:41:01 pm »
These are the 15x7 Legendary wheels I bought about 3 months ago - have rubber on them now:

Cheers

J

Offline Wharfie66

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 08:15:57 am »
I like your wheels, I reckon they look the goods.   :thumb:   Any pics with the rubber and centre caps on? May I ask what was the damage for a set of those?

Also a bit off topic, the cavity along the top of the rail just under where the upper control arm sits, my car (66 Coupe) had that filled with a tonne a body sealer which was all dried and cracked.  I cleaned it out and its as pristine as the day it was made ie no cancer at all. Just wondering did you refill that cavity to prevent water sitting inside the lip on top of the rail or not. If so what did you use?

Cheers
Fletch

Offline RuffCoupe

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 10:13:36 am »
I like your wheels, I reckon they look the goods.   :thumb:   Any pics with the rubber and centre caps on? May I ask what was the damage for a set of those?

Also a bit off topic, the cavity along the top of the rail just under where the upper control arm sits, my car (66 Coupe) had that filled with a tonne a body sealer which was all dried and cracked.  I cleaned it out and its as pristine as the day it was made ie no cancer at all. Just wondering did you refill that cavity to prevent water sitting inside the lip on top of the rail or not. If so what did you use?

Cheers
Fletch

Yes - they are a nice twist on the original.

They were $150 US each = $600US plus $300US freight - at my door in a week.

The centre caps were cheap - I'm not using them.

My cavity is clear  :lmao:

Cheers J

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:28:40 am »
I agree with Fitzy. Performer Superlites.

Good man  :thumb:

Apart from the old Torque Thrusts the Superlites have that old school Trans Am look and suit the Mustang perfectly..

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 03:43:46 pm »
Amen Brother!

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 08:13:21 pm »
I like your wheels, I reckon they look the goods.   :thumb:   

Cheers
Fletch

I'll second that ruff head.. :thumb:
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline RtB

• Pony
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 05:00:57 pm »
Yes, those legendary ones are the alloys I was referring to.   They look good.   I'd love to see the rubber, reassembled and on the road look of them.   I also like the mini lite look - but it's too close to the torques I already have.   I guess it's really a question of whether I get to 'original' styled steelies or the 'new' styled (alloy) steelies...   And I want both!...lol.   Decisions decisions.   The springs look nice too - kings???

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 08:02:04 pm »
stuffed up the link

Cannot see. Go to your post, top right corner, click 'Modify'. Insert new link.

s

Offline RuffCoupe

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »
Yes, those legendary ones are the alloys I was referring to.   They look good.   I'd love to see the rubber, reassembled and on the road look of them.   I also like the mini lite look - but it's too close to the torques I already have.   I guess it's really a question of whether I get to 'original' styled steelies or the 'new' styled (alloy) steelies...   And I want both!...lol.   Decisions decisions.   The springs look nice too - kings???

Yep.