Edelbrock extractors

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Edelbrock extractors  (Read 13107 times)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Edelbrock extractors
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 11:07:17 pm »
Had a look at Performance unlimited web page there E head engines are advertise from 370-450 hp, I think 400 is realistic for those heads, they offer AFR heads on the 480hp package

Offline usajet66@gmail.com

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Frank
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 11:08:34 pm »
I got480 package.

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 11:10:22 pm »
But e street heads. Dyno report says 490HP but I'm not too fussed.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 11:18:40 pm »
But e street heads. Dyno report says 490HP but I'm not too fussed.

Cant see how it can be true unless they have been cnc ported, they dont flow any extra air after 500 thou of lift they wont flow that kind of air out of the box to make that power, and or it has a real big cam. 490 is a lot of power.  how many rpm is the power quoted at? AFR heads I can believe 480hp.

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 11:27:21 pm »
https://youtu.be/CkYmjZv0Rno

Let me know what you think.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 11:33:19 pm »
I don't think we should be to worried if it 480hp or 500hp or even 450hp ,all  he wants is a good set of extractors (coated ) and a good twin system .  I'm not sure who make 1 3/4 inch pipes that sit nice and high ? Then a custom 3 inch system  would be the go . No mater what I would not rev it much past 6200 rpm with the std block .  If your not racing it or have low diff gears a twin 2 1/2 system will keep the torque up and be good for the street . I would say its a hyd roller cam also . Shaun and boofhead are your guys to sort this out .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 11:41:57 pm »
They Dynoed it with big headers in the video, and ran it to about 6600rpm . I think their dyno is a bit optimistic that power at those revs.
I hope its true cause if it is, it means mine will make over 500 :thumb: None the less it will be quick in a 65, you'll want long tube pipes, you could get away with 1- 5/8"  primaries if you cant find 1-3/4"  but it will knock a few HP of the top end. Any 65 with 400hp or better goes nice.

Glen its got a hydrulic roller similar to Rodney's cam I'd say.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2016, 11:44:22 pm »
Ok I just watched that . Looks like it made peak HP at just over 6200 /6500 rpm . It also has E street heads which I am surprised about making that much HP . It also runs an air gap intake  that runs out of power around low 6000 rpm .  Noticed they had large extractors  for the dyno run .. It might pay to contact them about the extractors and exhaust to run .

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2016, 11:55:49 pm »
I'm not sure who make 1 3/4 inch pipes that sit nice and high ?

FPA  :thumb:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2016, 12:01:29 am »
If you email me I am happy to send them through for you to have a look. Would love some honest input.

email carolinaamoon@yahoo.com . i will post them for you, however, if it is fast enough for you, the dyno numbers are irrelevant . also, in the us, different dynos and different dyno operators can produce different results.

what size engine is it?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 12:04:24 am »
email carolinaamoon@yahoo.com . i will post them for you, however, if it is fast enough for you, the dyno numbers are irrelevant . also, in the us, different dynos and different dyno operators can produce different results.

what size engine is it?

347  E street edelbrock heads HR cam, about 282 XE I'd say, Airgap intake 750 HP holley far as I can tell

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2016, 12:09:14 am »

i think it is irrelevant without the dyno sheet showing all the data including the atmospheric pressure numbers.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2016, 12:14:54 am »
One thing is for certain . That engine would make WAY more power with a set of Eddy RPM or 185 AFR heads.

Another thing is for certain . With a hydraulic roller and 620 rpm, the stock springs in the RPM heads can break, and have broken in some cases.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:17:32 am by barnett468 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2016, 12:17:51 am »
One thing is for certain . That engine would make WAY more power with a set of Eddy RPM or 185 AFR heads.

Agree, I've got 195 AFRs comps for my 347. and 600 thou lift HR cam. That why I said I hope it true, cause with 195's it will have way more.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:19:33 am by shaunp »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2016, 12:20:06 am »
Agree, I've got 195 AFRs comps for my 347. and 600 thou lift HR cam.

ummm, yeah, that will make a REAL 450 hp or more.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 12:26:35 am »
If you need a complete system, i would run 1 3/4 with a 3" collector as shaunp suggested . run 3" pipe off the collector so the end will be 18" from where the 4 tubes converge on the header then have it taper down to 2 5/8" or 2 3/4" pipe . 3" is too big and can cost some hp . use a cross over pipe or X pipe . use straight thru mufflers like magnaflows.

installing resonators will help insure it will not drone.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2016, 12:52:11 am »

I looked at their site and their engines and I wouldn't consider buying an engine from them unless I knew the exact brand of every single part and push rod size and thickness and valve spring type and installed pressure . They also dont say they use a high perf oil pump drive or what distributor gear or what material the camshaft is made out of or the connecting rod length or whether they zero decked the block which should included squaring it to the crank.

they list 4 different types of pistons for their 450 stroker, so do they install 4 different types in every engine . also 2 of those pistons are made from 4032 material and one is made from 2618 and another could be made from hyperutectic material, and those are vastly different, and if you use a power adder with 4032 or hyperutectic material pistons, they are more likely to grenade if it has detonation.

they also fail to mention exactly what brand of chinese rocker arms they are using that are virtually guaranteed to break or the rocker stud size etc.

are the new water pump and crank damper chinese?

I also didn't see any mention of a warranty not that it would do you any good 6000 miles away.

basically, they put a lot of text up to make their engines sound impressive but tell you very little about specifics, kinda like a politician does.

https://www.customcrateengines.com/engines/ford.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:59:34 am by barnett468 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2016, 10:03:51 am »
I like to run 2618 material pistons, in something that is going to get a bit of hiding, you can keep them pretty quiet at .004 clearance if you are not running power adders. once the engine is hot yo cant hear them. Basic hot street engine with standard stroke I use 4032. Probe make both SRS are 2618 and the FPS range are 4032.

On their web page they note AFR heads on the 480 hp 347, this what it would take to get close to that number
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:06:29 am by shaunp »

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2016, 11:20:16 am »
It could be the 205 CNC E-street heads though all E-streets will not take a roller cam. They still do not flow all that well but acceptable though the gear is not good enough for that type of engine and it will break. If the Springs and Studs are changed out as a minimum then it will be fine - you basically have a hogged out Edelbrock RPM casting (with the inexpensive FT gear [which is where the savings are found - hence E Street]) any way.

Personally the HP is irrelevant and I think the OP is not fussed so although I had my doubts on the claims as well I felt it was not my place when the question was for headers required for a 500HP engine. Did not ask if we felt it was a realistic claim. In any case, even as stated a 400 HP engine in a light 65 will hall ass. Actually a little less power will actually keep it fun - you can go to far requiring for more concentration so not enjoying the drive if your not use to it.

Enjoy your engine and car.

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2016, 11:25:06 am »
I'm not racing and to be honest I'm a very conservative driver. No point having a nice car if I lose my licence. Just going to do some weddings on the side.
So does the engine look reliable enough?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2016, 11:27:35 am »
It could be the 205 CNC E-street heads though all E-streets will not take a roller cam. They still do not flow all that well but acceptable though the gear is not good enough for that type of engine and it will break. If the Springs and Studs are changed out as a minimum then it will be fine - you basically have a hogged out Edelbrock RPM casting (with the inexpensive FT gear [which is where the savings are found - hence E Street]) any way.

Boofhead, there's not a chance in hell those guys are putting those pricey heads on their advertised builds for the price they ask for them, but they might have in the video and kind of failed to mention that small insignificant detail.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:34:29 am by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2016, 11:32:27 am »

No way to tell without a lot more specific info, and even then it depends on the quality of the machine work and the assembler etc, but since you already own it, that seems like an irrelevant question and you will simply find out in time.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2016, 01:29:27 pm »
I'm not racing and to be honest I'm a very conservative driver. No point having a nice car if I lose my licence. Just going to do some weddings on the side.

Hard to tell, suck it and see, on the whole if the machine work and assembly work is ok, it will likely be fine, the items where they are saving dollars such as rocker arms will be questionable etc. You are talking say $130 rockers in your engine to say $300+ for what I would buy. easy enough to swap out if required, as long as if they fail they dont do any more damage then bend a push rod. I would be confirming what type of gear is on the distributor though. A Roller cam as you have, needs a steel gear, the distributor you have is fine but until recently only came with an iron gear, this will damage you cam quick smart particularly if they have not done the gear oiling mod.  That Disy can be had now with the correct gear but it has to be ordered that way, I would definitely confirm that gear is correct and oiling mod done. If not, fix it now before the engine is run, or it will end in tears.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2016, 01:44:26 pm »
I would be confirming what type of gear is on the distributor though. A Roller cam as you have, needs a steel gear, the distributor you have is fine but until recently only came with an iron gear, this will damage you cam quick smart particularly if they have not done the gear oiling mod.  That Disy can be had now with the correct gear but it has to be ordered that way, I would definitely confirm that gear is correct and oiling mod done. If not, fix it now before the engine is run, or it will end in tears.

If the dist gear kills the cam, we can see if we can beat Fitzy's record 67 page cam timing turned cam swap thread.   :lmao: