thermo fan

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: thermo fan  (Read 9828 times)

Offline Ruggie

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 coupe
thermo fan
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:17:00 pm »
I would like to put a thermo fan on and would like to know if this one would be enough for a mild 289?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SPAL-16-INCH-ELECTRIC-THERMATIC-FAN-UNIVERSAL-CURVED-BLADE-2024CFM-AIRFLOW-/121819717763?hash=item1c5d056083:g:xvYAAOSweuxWTsvh

thanks
Its not perfect but its mine.

Offline USA066

• Worked
  • Robbo
  • Name: Colin
Re: thermo fan
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:47:42 pm »
Ruggie,
I don't know what your application is, but this is only a puller fan. Are you planning to replace the stock fan, or are you installing in front of the radiator in which case, you need a pusher fan. Is this for a stock 16" radiator? I would call PWR, they do a SPAL fan, 3000cfm which is much better. A pusher fan will certainly help with cooling but it all depends on what your setup is, including if you have PS or AC. Do your research before spending the $$$'s. Also, check the dimensions to ensure it will fit.
I have been through this pain, so I can speak first hand.
2007 GT Convertible
2008 Bullitt
1966 Coupe

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:18 pm »
No mention of the Watt rating of the fan motor anywhere.  Too low a rating and it won't move enough air under load and too high and you will need a high capacity alternator and battery to support it.

Some on here will tell you that thermo fans are not much benefit on old Mustangs.  The argument goes that if you have a well sorted cooling system, a mechanical fan with a shroud should be sufficient and if you don't have a good cooling system, you should be addressing that rather than band-aiding it with a thermo fan.

One last observation: yet another example of Aussies getting hosed on car parts pricing. The same fan is available to US customers on Amazon for under $120 USD.  :ouch:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Ruggie

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 coupe
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 04:30:22 am »
Thanks guys
Im looking for a puller to replace the stock one.
I have a alloy rad and will have a/c soon.
I dont have any issues with cooling, plan on using the car more and want to make it more efficient.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 06:21:04 am »
ok, here are the exact specs for that fan in both the puller and the pusher version. . if you did not have heating problems with your previous fan, you "should" not have them with this one.

A = PULLER
S = PUSHER

https://webstore.spalusa.com/content/files/content/PDF/30102113_SPEC.pdf

here are the specs for a better fan but this one should not be run on high all the time and actually, none of then should  you really sohuld use a fan controller with n electric fan . i use one from DCC controls.

https://webstore.spalusa.com/content/files/content/PDF/30102803_SPEC.pdf

you need to compare the air flow at around 5 mm h20 because the cfm at 0 [no load] is totally meaningless.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:28:27 am by barnett468 »

Offline Ruggie

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 coupe
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 07:32:21 am »
thank you.

I am on the right track. I will be using a controller.

Offline Petey

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 08:48:32 am »
Have a look at the AU Falcon twin thermo fans. The shroud can be easily modified to fit a Mustang radiator and they have separate circuits for each fan if you need to run one with AC turned on.
Fit a Tridon 185 deg.F. temperature controller switch in the top radiator hose with in line housing from any auto parts store for around $70 all up and the fan set up for about $90.00 and you will have trouble free, reliable cooling.
PT

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 08:53:59 am »
I have a alloy rad and will have a/c soon.
I dont have any issues with cooling, plan on using the car more and want to make it more efficient.

If you are getting a/c, you may need a pusher fan that is controlled with the a/c as well as a puller fan for the main radiator.

Also note from the specs Barnett provided, the fan you are looking at draws 21.5 amps at full load so make sure your electrical system is up to the job.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 12:06:22 pm »
if you need more air flow, it is actually better to use a higher flow fan instead of a fan in front and fan in the back because the fan in front actually reduces air flow when it is off or spinning at lower speed and you are driving at higher speed.

As far as the factory fans that petey mentioned . factory fans are wicked, and some are strong enough to suck small pets and children right off the sidewalk . in the US, we have used taurus and lincoln and countour fans that many, many, people use, and they suck so much air your mileage will actually increase by 10 lpk [is that right] when they are on high.  :lmao:

just to clarify, when i said fan controller, i was not referring to a thermal switch .  i was referring to a full time speed controller like he ones below . your fan should not be on full time nor should it run at only high speed when it is on . these controllers increase the life of the fan and reduce the load on the alternator and reduce noise from the fan, but they ain't cheap..

http://dccontrol.com/selector.htm

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:11:12 pm by barnett468 »

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:10:32 pm »
+1 for Au Falcon fans, they push some serious air and can be bought relatively cheap from the wreckers.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 08:27:49 am »
Stay with the engine fan, my clutch fan pulls 5700cfm @ 1500rpm, use a clutch fan and your overheating issues will not exist..and in my opinion they look neater than cutting up a late model fan..
Luvhev
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres