Finally got my judging papers back from the Nationals WTF

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Finally got my judging papers back from the Nationals WTF  (Read 28368 times)

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
All I can say is WTF ...What a joke and won't be wasting my money effort or time next time around....... :tissue: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Finally got my judging papers back from the Nationals WTF
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:50:10 pm »
So Happy one Not Happy  :lmao:  :lmao: or Happy one not a Happy one  :grin:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:58:44 pm by GLENN 70 »

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
lol I know how you feel.......
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:07:00 pm »
Its a tough gig guys I used to be a national Jaguar judge and was chief judge in QLD a few times, not for the faint hearted, we used to judge the jags with white gloves on the hoist to look for dirt and oil on the under carriage , have you ever tried to make a 50's/60's Jag not leak oil? trust me if you try hard enough you can. I recall a bloke flying to the UK to the connelly leather factory to hand pick the hides for his car and it lost on the wrong wheel nuts that he purchased new for $35 each, but they were wrong non the less for that year of car. Dont bother its a wank. But It does preserve cars kind of how they left the factory at least.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
What exactly was a joke about it?

Everyone's car is "supposed' to be judged the same way.

There might be a little favoritism at some of the small non MCA shows but that "shouldn't" happen at the MCA shows.

Offline LEE H 69

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 05:17:55 am »
I bet it was too shiny Ed.. :drool: :bow:

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
Just for shits and giggles sake, will show you both score sheets next time your over Lee

We seriously have to smile about it all and take it in our stride, but I don't think you could get two cars that are at completely different levels .......yet the scores are very close for both (vert = 348 and Mach 1 = 380 out of 500) fully expected that sort of score for the vert.

e.g only 1 point separated both cars in the category of "Exterior condition" ......the black Mach score was only 81 out of 100 when it has had a sensational paint job compared to our vert which scored 80 - yes other contributing factors like a few scratches on the door glass ...and apparently scratches on the scuff plates “which is funny because they were brand new and installed the day before the show” but who am I to know any better !

And there was also a comment noted on both cars in that category of “evidence of dust base of seat - WTF 

Oh well you live and learn .....I love both cars just the way they are but will stick to "show n shine" class and other events where the judging is more realistic in future.

:smilies: :grin:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:11:17 am by HAPPY ONE »

Offline LEE H 69

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 09:28:11 am »
Yeah I'm with you Ed,  I'm building my car for me, not really interested in having it judged so someone else can tell me what isn't quite good enough or what they don't like, mine isn't on the road yet and I've already put a scratch on it, so there's 10 points gone already..lol :thud: 

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
It might be fun to borrow a rusty beater and enter it in the driven class . You might win a prize for having the lowest scoring Mustang ever.  :lmao:

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 10:15:03 am »
All I can say is WTF ...What a joke and won't be wasting my money effort or time next time around....... :tissue: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Can't have been much more of a joke / waste of time than this!! :lmao:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/qF_Z4c7j730

Yeah I'm with you Ed,  I'm building my car for me, not really interested in having it judged so someone else can tell me what isn't quite good enough or what they don't like, mine isn't on the road yet and I've already put a scratch on it, so there's 10 points gone already..lol :thud: 
:agree:
I'd be happy to have my car judged, but it isn't even close to 'concours' anymore, and it never will be again!
.. I'll stick with the show n' shine... Or just drive it :event:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:19:20 pm by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 11:12:07 am »
It might be fun to borrow a rusty beater and enter it in the driven class . You might win a prize for having the lowest scoring Mustang ever.  :lmao:

Thats too funny ....but it's already been done !    :pepper:

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
Welcome to the world of Concours Judging, where politics and good mates outweigh the quality of the car. I have met a number of fantastic judges who were skilled and dedicated and I didn't have an issue with them telling me that my exhaust bolts were wrong. Then there are those judges that couldn't tell the difference between a steering wheel and a spare wheel and I have experienced a number of them. Two of the more notorious things I have experienced are:

A Boss 302 getting top billing even though it was running a 351 Cleveland and dripping oil from every orifice.
The myth perpetrated that 67 GT500's came off the line with 390's due to an engine shortage.

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 12:16:11 pm »
Like I've said before,

Concours Judging certainly brings up a lot of issues and interesting debates & I am sure we aren't only ones having these type of issues.
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 12:30:30 pm »
Then there are those judges that couldn't tell the difference between a steering wheel and a spare wheel...

:lmao:

Two of the more notorious things I have experienced are:

A Boss 302 getting top billing even though it was running a 351 Cleveland and dripping oil from every orifice.

Yes, but this only substantiated the owners claim for his particular class that it truly was a "daily driver".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:32:59 pm by barnett468 »

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
Would you believe that those two examples were related to Gold level cars?
I think the Boss got the goods (or Silver at least) but the GT500 owner left in tears. There was popular debate for a number of years as people pushed for the Shelby to attain Gold level as they were mates with the owner.
All competition judging has the same dramas and they make for good stories over a couple of beers.

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 12:51:57 pm »
Like I've said before,

Concours Judging certainly brings up a lot of issues and interesting debates & I am sure we aren't only ones having these type of issues.

Herman - this was only Display Class ...not concourse ......but it would appear the judging was based on the same merits. So maybe my idea of Display is not the same as others ?

Also to my way of thinking, who gives a cracker in show n shine or display class if your spare wheel is not matching all the other tyres & wheels ...again it isn't concourse ....maybe I'm missing something but it makes no sense to me !

In reading the statement on the top of the judging sheets this category is supposed to encourage you to go to the next stage of being concourse - which I find ridiculous as they accept non concourse / modified  cars into display class . AND who's owners  may or may not want to make changes to go back to an original state -  it also clearly states modifications are not to be taken into consideration.

Just noted it says on the mach 1 form the compressor and water pump is showing signs of rust - that's crap - the compressor was freshly painted but the water pump and AC bracket were left in a raw cast iron state as that's how I think they were in the factory ?? (maybe wrong on that, but why should that make any difference) 

Any how it is what it is    :thumb:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 01:33:47 pm »
Just noted it says on the mach 1 form the compressor and water pump is showing signs of rust - that's crap - the compressor was freshly painted but the water pump and AC bracket were left in a raw cast iron state as that's how I think they were in the factory ?? :thumb:

I sometimes paint the bare cast iron parts with matte finish clear so they have some protection but still look bare.

Offline 6508k

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 01:48:11 pm »
The problem with concourse judging, is that these cars are 50 years old now and a lot have been restored now. .....Once a car has been restored , it is not original and therefore cannot possibly be the same as when it left the factory .......Everyone has a different "interpretation "of  concourse correct and that is where the problem lies.

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 02:09:39 pm »
Herman - this was only Display Class ...not concourse ......but it would appear the judging was based on the same merits. So maybe my idea of Display is not the same as others ?

Also to my way of thinking, who gives a cracker in show n shine or display class if your spare wheel is not matching all the other tyres & wheels ...again it isn't concourse ....maybe I'm missing something but it makes no sense to me !

In reading the statement on the top of the judging sheets this category is supposed to encourage you to go to the next stage of being concourse - which I find ridiculous as they accept non concourse / modified  cars into display class . AND who's owners  may or may not want to make changes to go back to an original state -  it also clearly states modifications are not to be taken into consideration.

All I can say is contact your State's Head Judge and or Delegate and discuss this matter further.  I know it can be frustrating but discussing it with the correct people can give you a better understanding
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 02:28:45 pm »
Would you believe that those two examples were related to Gold level cars?
Well after seeing what kind of looks like an India Fire 428 in the link below that was in the Thoroughbred class and built buy a guy that purportedly builds what the club classifies as thoroughbred cars, I am not surprised in the least.

http://mustang.org.au/2-uncategorised/26-mustang-nationals-2016.html

What I am surprised at is when someone asks a person a question about the quality of a car etc, and that person answers the question, then several others get all pissed off at the answer . It reminds me of a move where Jack Ncholson says "The truth...you can't handle the truth!".  :lmao:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:33:06 pm by barnett468 »

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 04:57:43 pm »
Judged classes - been there, done that, can't be bothered any more with spending weeks cleaning the car & obsessing over it. I did enjoy judging too, it's exacting work though & not at all easy.
I won quite a few trophies with a previous Mustang, appreciated of course. But my favourite by far was a very unexpected win of 'Peoples' Choice' in a large mixed group of Show'n'Shine classic cars at a major NZ annual show. Totally unscientific such a class may be but actually the most appreciated & a hard one to get.

Offline walbjj

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 05:46:03 pm »
ive never been to one of these events, how much for the honour of having a car judged?

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 05:57:30 pm »
Judged classes - been there, done that, can't be bothered any more with spending weeks cleaning the car & obsessing over it. I did enjoy judging too, it's exacting work though & not at all easy.
I won quite a few trophies with a previous Mustang, appreciated of course. But my favourite by far was a very unexpected win of 'Peoples' Choice' in a large mixed group of Show'n'Shine classic cars at a major NZ annual show. Totally unscientific such a class may be but actually the most appreciated & a hard one to get.
I have had similar experiences, I have 3 trophies for my Mustang and 2 were very unexpected.

1st trophy 2013 I won I had put no effort into presenting or cleaning the car as I was still working on it at 1am in the morning just trying to get it running to as to take it to the show, I did not even bother entering it for judging as in my opinion it was not presentable and filthy but the wife entered it and I won Top 5.

2nd trophy 2015 I won I had put a fair amount of effort in and then drove it 150 klms to the show through numerous showers and once we arrived at the show it was a beautiful day so I chamoised the outside of the car but did not get carried away and clean the underside, engine bay or wheel housings when I saw the number of cars and the quality of them all (Still thought I was in with a chance) but I managed to get top 15

3rd trophy 2015 I put a lot of effort in but when I arrived at the show there was over 900 Cars and a lot of extremely good quality cars and thought I had buckleys of being in with a chance but I brought home Best Modified 1966 to 1970

There are 2 other shows that I had entered into and put the hard yards in and in my opinion should have won trophies at  but came home with nothing 1 in my opinion was a trophy for mates show and another I might have been racing the car at the time of judging otherwise my car had it all over the car that had taken the trophy.

I never built my car as a trophy hunter and I think that shows with me driving it as often as I do (2 to 3 times a week generally), distances I drive (3000 klms over 4 days), where I have driven it (dirt roads) and towing a caravan as well as racing it but I must admit once I won the first trophy I wanted to win more.

I still do show it but I don't put that much effort in just a general clean but most of the time my car is clean anyway as I do love it and don't like it with dirty wheel houses, engine bay or anywhere that is easily seen etc. yet the underside only gets touched if I am going to show it.
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 10:14:50 pm »
I reckon you've done alright Happy in regards to your Mach 1 :thumb:, if the muppets judging it only noticed the ac pump and water pump showed signs of rust and not that they are bolted to a 429 cj ?,( which if I'm correct is non standard) well done I say...... :grin:
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 06:53:55 am »
I reckon you've done alright Happy in regards to your Mach 1 :thumb:, if the muppets judging it only noticed the ac pump and water pump showed signs of rust and not that they are bolted to a 429 cj ?,( which if I'm correct is non standard) well done I say...... :grin:

Priceless ....Love it ..... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

yep you're correct, had not picked up on that point Pinto Pete, not one word mentioned about that on the score sheet ....makes you wonder hey

Then again,  as they say Mods are "NOT' to be taken into consideration

:cheers: