Borgeson Power Steering

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Borgeson Power Steering  (Read 8859 times)

Offline demon69

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Peter
Borgeson Power Steering
« on: June 07, 2016, 05:28:50 pm »
I have a 69 with standard power steering, the control valve is stuffed.  Has anyone had experience swapping over to the Borgeson steering box.  I have mixed messages regarding the power steering pump.  Some say the factory pump will be okay, some say you need a Saginaw P/S pump.  Secondly, is the drive that much better with the Borgeson box that it is worth the $1.5 to $2K+ cost vs around $500 for a control valve.  Appreciate your comments based on your experience.

Thanks

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
Re: Borgeson Power Steering
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 07:01:25 pm »
 Hi Demon69 , I put a borgeson on my LHD 69 and find it very good , as far as I know and was told the Saginaw pump is needed so that at idle the power steer works and that is how it is with mine .
 Fitting was reasonably easy i had to just add some spacers for the pump and find a belt to fit and the hardest part was to trim the end of the outer steering column about 25mm . the car drives good and the feel is good so I`m happy with it , cheers
1969 GT350H

Offline Ray68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 07:04:01 pm »
Hi there. I recently installed Borgeson into my 68. I used the pump which came with the kit and the steering is nice and light at idle and is fine at highway speeds. Mine was originally factory power steering, then converted to manual steering prior to going Borgeson so the difference before and after was significant. Very happy with it.

68 Coupe
351W, mild cam, Performer intake
FMX tranny
9" diff
Petronix Ignitor III Ignition
Hedman Elite headers
24" Alloy radiator - twin thermos

Offline demon69

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:01:15 pm »
Hey guys, thanks for your feedback, looks like safest bet is to use a new pump.
I have a couple of questions..

Staddy, do you have headers and if so, what brand.  Any problem with the clearance between the headers and the box?

Ray68, I have a 351W with Performer manifold, Holly carb, headers and ICE ignition.  Planning to add aluminum heads and cam.  Also have FMX and 9 inch with 3.00:1  I might be looking for a similar setup to yours.
What carby are you running
Do you have a high stall converter
What diff ratio do you have
What size cam and at idle, can you easily hear that it has a performance cam.

Cheers

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:39:54 am »
Ray68, I have a 351W with Performer manifold, Holly carb, headers and ICE ignition.  Planning to add aluminum heads and cam.  Also have FMX and 9 inch with 3.00:1  I might be looking for a similar setup to yours.
What carby are you running
Do you have a high stall converter
What diff ratio do you have
What size cam and at idle, can you easily hear that it has a performance cam.

Cheers

Start a new topic rather than mix up content. Lots can help with the options.

Offline Shep69

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:45:38 am »
I have a 69 with standard power steering, the control valve is stuffed.  Has anyone had experience swapping over to the Borgeson steering box.  I have mixed messages regarding the power steering pump.  Some say the factory pump will be okay, some say you need a Saginaw P/S pump.  Secondly, is the drive that much better with the Borgeson box that it is worth the $1.5 to $2K+ cost vs around $500 for a control valve.  Appreciate your comments based on your experience.

Thanks

If your willing to spend 2k for Borgeson setup you might want to start looking at racks. I'm running the standard power steering in my 69 and it works great. I have heard the Borgeson setup is only marginally better than  standard.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:51:57 am by Shep69 »

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 10:17:16 am »
It might pay you to check out the Mike Maier/ABS setup or even electric assist. I would/will do the latter when funds allow as my car is on a slow evolution to being a weekend track toy and power steering temps even with a cooler are an annoyance.

If you have no issues with how the current setup actually feels/ behaves you can buy a seal kit for like $50 (Google stangersite) and they easy to install if you have any basic mechanical/fitting expertise.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 12:59:56 pm »
If your willing to spend 2k for Borgeson setup you might want to start looking at racks. I'm running the standard power steering in my 69 and it works great. I have heard the Borgeson setup is only marginally better than  standard.
I've driven a borgeson mustang and it was much better than the standard in my car(mine was not reconditioned however). I've also driven a rack setup and although the feel was great getting in a car park wasn't, in my opinion not worth the money. My ideal setup would be a reconditioned manual box and epas

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 01:36:22 pm »
That is what I am aiming for no more fluids, hoses, temp issues...

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 03:17:08 pm »

Demon69 I have standard 351w with factory manifolds (plenty of room ), so not the same as yours in that way,  headers will probably be different size wise.good luck whichever way you go  cheers
1969 GT350H

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 03:31:36 pm »
Manual steer all the way.  :thumb:  :therethere:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 05:27:31 pm »
A Borgeson will fit in a 65 with a 351 AOD auto and shortie JBA headers no issue so they will fit most anything. I would not bother with a rack. Caster though is what makes them drive well.

Offline gazzab055

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Gary
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 09:30:21 pm »
I have a Borgeson power steering in my 69 Mustang. It gives you a much better road feel, but seems to have a bigger turning circle!  I even used the standard Ford powering steering pump.

Ford power ram power steering is a shit design!

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 08:26:33 am »
My ideal setup would be a reconditioned manual box and epas

That leaves you with the 19:1 manual ratio though so it's light but you don't have the benefit of the quicker power steer ratio.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 09:11:35 am »
Yeah my bad, I meant a manual setup with the 16:1.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 09:55:00 am »
Yep that's the go Simon. That's my future plan too. I was just uncertain whether the Borg box was bigger than the standard one and I would have clearance problems with my GT40P heads and those JBA shorties the same as you had but if Shaun says the Borg box is OK with a 351 in an early car I should be fine.

Offline pgold

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Gold
  • Car: 69 sportsroof
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 04:13:25 pm »
Sorry for jumping in on this post. I have 69 sports Roof with factory power steer, fitted with XC Falcon 351C 2V standard manifolds. Anyone fitted Borgeson to a 69 / 70 with 351 Clevland?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »
Yep that's the go Simon. That's my future plan too. I was just uncertain whether the Borg box was bigger than the standard one and I would have clearance problems with my GT40P heads and those JBA shorties the same as you had but if Shaun says the Borg box is OK with a 351 in an early car I should be fine.

Ill take picture, the engine is a tight fit had to clearance the special JBA 351 into 65 pipes somewhat here and there, but pretty sure that was just the towers.

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 10:59:22 pm »
ABS/ Mike Maier box is 14 to 1. OEM is not a "shit" design just outdated! If rebuilt well it has reasonable feel and is fairly robust and reliable.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 07:29:44 am »
ABS/ Mike Maier box is 14 to 1. OEM is not a "shit" design just outdated! If rebuilt well it has reasonable feel and is fairly robust and reliable.

Toyota Cresida I believe.

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 09:10:04 pm »
Toyota Cresida I believe.

I thought it was crown.. If not do you know what model cressida..?
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission