not bad bang for buck.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: not bad bang for buck.  (Read 7590 times)

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: jimmy hatziv

Offline 69candy

• Worked
Re: not bad bang for buck.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:14:56 pm »
Nor is your avatar!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:02:40 pm »
She has beautiful eyes.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:34:12 pm »
They are not her eyes your looking at ,because they are nearly closed . :thumb: .

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:36:52 pm »
stop drooling over my wife.  :toetapping:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 07:36:34 pm »

...and my mother

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 10:01:15 pm »
Now, Now, son...Have a nice cold Fosters and chill........ :lmao:

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:56:17 pm »
Boys on a serious note i'm looking at a 302 5.0 litre Au falcon engine with auto tranny from same donour car, the question is how can i control the tranny in my 67 convertible, i know this is the wrong section and the topic may have beeen discussed before but i can't remember out come i'd like to get good info before i commit myself like a Cristmas turky .

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 04:03:05 pm »
From memory you need the ecu for the trans to be installed, too, assuming it has one.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 04:30:50 pm »
Boys on a serious note i'm looking at a 302 5.0 litre Au falcon engine with auto tranny from same donour car, the question is how can i control the tranny in my 67 convertible, i know this is the wrong section and the topic may have beeen discussed before but i can't remember out come i'd like to get good info before i commit myself like a Cristmas turky .

There are separate ECU for the engine and the gearbox (later models where all in the one unit). So you need to at a minimum install and wire up the gearbox (BTR) ECU then go with [modified] Carbi or EFI in which case use the factory or after market ECU.

Online peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 07:23:57 am »
The AU (EECV)is a harder choice then the earlier ones (EEC1V)
The auto could run stand alone I think but the engine and trans computers share some sensors and a comms link between the two.
You may end up with some compromises in a stand alone operation.
If you go with the fuel injection option all will be ok.
The hardest part of the fuel injection is the smart shield security system you will need to carry some "baggage" electronics to make it all function.
The EEC1V only has smart lock which can be bypassed.
Other option would be aftermarket computers but cost may be a limiting factor.
I have fitted  a NC Fairlane engine and trans in mine
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 10:04:22 pm »
The smartlock and smartshield can be disabled with a J3 chip, which inserts into the ecu. No need to install bypasses or use the BEM anymore.

The AU's with the 4 speed autos have the transmission ecu integrated into the main ecu. So if you are running the efi also, then all you need is the auto eecv ecu from the AU and you are set.

If you aren't running the efi, and want to control the auto box, then you need a stand alone tranny ecu from the earlier models(I have a spare from an NC actually I believe).  EF/EL V8's were the last to run a separate transmission ecu. Earlier models run them however not sure if the 6's and 8's both ran them. The ef/el v8's require a tach input, not sure about older models. They need a TPS input, so you just need to mount a TPS to the carb which is no big deal. They also require a VSS input, and you would be able to work something out as the tranny has a vss output(normally goes to the cluster then to the ecu then to the tcm, as the cluster provides power to the sender and also to boost the signal output). The EF/EL also has an engine input data input, which runs the tranny differently for AC and overheating. You'd 'assume' it would run fine without that input, but you know what they say about 'assuming'. Not sure if the older model tcm's had this.

I have a bunch of service manuals, diagrams and pinouts etc for the btr and the ef/el models if anyone wants them. I'm currently having an EF EECV with the standalone ecu into a 65, so I did as much research as I could to make things go as smooth as possible.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:15:43 pm by Husky65 »

Online peter9231

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 06:40:09 am »
You are correct you can use the J3 chip,
The early transmission ECU shares a comms link to the engine ECU
This enables most of the operating parameters for the transmission to share sensors and data from the engine sensors.(the most important being overdrive operation strategy)
Overdrive operation is quite different between early and late models as well.
The VSS is easy it needs a 5 volt power supply and a 1000 ohm resistor between the supply and signal wires of the speed transducer to provide a "pull up circuit" you don't need any additional circuits.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 08:03:39 am »
The early transmission ECU shares a comms link to the engine ECU
This enables most of the operating parameters for the transmission to share sensors and data from the engine sensors.(the most important being overdrive operation strategy)
     I know of a couple guys that have run the standalone trans ecu without this input. Not sure which model the ecu was from. According to my data it's only pin 18 that is the link, and it regulates the tranny for when the AC is on and when the engine is getting too hot.

Online peter9231

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 10:35:47 am »
Yes Partly,
Early overdrive is limited to 80 kph and above including converter lock up.
The later will go to overdrive at 60 kph and can lock the converter in 3rd gear as well as overdrive.
This is determined by the data link in part.(this is where it uses engine information load, temp, etc.)
I have no doubt it will function without the link but whether all strategies remain functional who knows.
I would assume it will throw up fault codes as well (there is one for the data link function)
There are many changes in the transmissions over the years and I am not up with them all.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 04:46:27 pm »
I have the revised BTR dealer training manual from the BTR Factory that has a lot of good info in it if anyone wants.

I had a quick read again, and it seems that pin 18 shares AC status, engine temp and gear position between the ecu and tcm, but only from the EF v8(m97) on. So on an earlier model tcm you may be ok. Then you need vss, tach and tps.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:56:40 pm by Husky65 »

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 12:23:21 pm »
Gentlemen i really apreciate your time and knowlege but as a layman i am a bit lost i think i may have to speak to a local auto elecrician and pass on this info for him to decifer, luckily the C4 is still going well but its pouring with rain possibly cyclone forming so the stang is locked away will follow up in new year. To One and All a Safe and Merry Christmas.