Carb Issues

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Carb Issues  (Read 87015 times)

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
Re: Carb Issues
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2015, 07:03:44 pm »
What are your build specs?

you can also remove all but the number one plug wire and turn it over with the starter and set the timing.

with 11.5 compression, you likely can not run 32 degrees of advance . . my guess would be closer to 28 degrees at around 2800 rpm.

if you have a vacuum advance, DISCONNECT IT forever and ever . . DO NOT USE IT . . It may be adding too much advance or is connected to manifold vac or the ported vac is still providing vacuum to it at idle . . Vacuum advance is BAD, BAD, BAD unless PROPERLY set up.

Set the initial timing what GEOFF said.

rev the engine to 1/4 throttle or around 2200 - 2400 rpm and tell us what the timing is.

rev the engine to almost 1/2 throttle or 35OO rpm and tell us what it says.

rev it a little more and see if it advances more.

Rightio, wound it over to 10 degrees, disconnected all the plug wires except No 1, cranked it over and i get nothing through the timing light. Light worked fine today, then as i said it ran and just shut off and will not start.

And that was before i noticed the distributor loose. Only thing used on the car was the timing light, surely that hasn't killed something lol

So i'm guessing i'm getting no spark at all for some reason ??

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:10:02 pm by Fitzy1980 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2015, 07:12:26 pm »
Did you have the key on when you did that?

turn the key on.

pull the coil wire out of the distributor.

hold the metal end 10 mm away from an unpainted nut, bolt or fitting.

jump the starter solenoid.

if there is no spark from the coil wire, something has expired.

if the spark is yellow but strong, it is weak but ok.

if the spark is yellow but barely visible, it won't run

if the spark is pale blue it is xlnt.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:15:32 pm by barnett468 »

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2015, 07:34:18 pm »
You are jinxed!

Unless this is another head slapping moment (I know I said we've all had one but I have actually had several) and something isn't hooked up to where it should be, somehow your coil is toasted. If you followed Barnett's guidance you should get a spark, maybe not in the right rotational place to make your engine run, but a spark nonetheless. Double check all connections.

Hey Barnett, how come you are still "I'm new here"? You must have more words on here than anyone!

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2015, 07:42:36 pm »
Did you have the key on when you did that?

turn the key on.

pull the coil wire out of the distributor.

hold the metal end 10 mm away from an unpainted nut, bolt or fitting.

jump the starter solenoid.

if there is no spark from the coil wire, something has expired.

if the spark is yellow but strong, it is weak but ok.

if the spark is yellow but barely visible, it won't run

if the spark is pale blue it is xlnt.

I get nothing from the coil wire, assuming i'm doing it properly of course. I jump the solenoid and the engine tries to crank. Coil is only a day old and wires maybe 2 weeks.

I tried the old coil and wire which i know works and it still just winds and winds, wont fire.  :thud:

Distributor all of a sudden cactus perhaps ? I'd have to be unlucky if that was the case

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2015, 07:45:01 pm »
You are jinxed!

Unless this is another head slapping moment (I know I said we've all had one but I have actually had several) and something isn't hooked up to where it should be, somehow your coil is toasted. If you followed Barnett's guidance you should get a spark, maybe not in the right rotational place to make your engine run, but a spark nonetheless. Double check all connections.

Hey Barnett, how come you are still "I'm new here"? You must have more words on here than anyone!

Mate, tell me about it. And i noticed earlier there is a leak coming from the radiator, a small patch about a 50 cent piece on the engine side has bent fins. Looks like something has maybe flung up under the car and miraculously missed everything else and put a hole in it.

I've never been happier in my life today !!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I jump in the GT and its supercharged goodness and away i go, this thing ill end up burning by the time i'm through.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :lmao: :lmao:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:09:17 pm by Fitzy1980 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2015, 09:16:57 pm »
ok, remove the positive wire from the coil.

put a wire from the positive post on the battery to the positive post on the coil.

jump the starter from the big front post on the solenoid to the little single wire post next to it as you hold the coil wire 10 mm away from a bolt etc.

if you do not get spark, something inside your distributor is dead.

remove the jumper wire to the coil.

remove the distributor cap then jump the solenoid.

if your rotor does not turn, something broke.

if the rotor turns, the points or electronic module is dead.

Do I in a free set of steak knives now?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:20:18 pm by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2015, 09:19:54 pm »

.  :thumb:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2015, 09:20:46 pm »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2015, 09:21:29 pm »

.  :thud:

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2015, 10:20:26 pm »
I jump in the GT and its supercharged goodness and away i go, this thing ill end up burning by the time i'm through.

Fun with 'classic' cars!   :therethere:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2015, 10:34:04 pm »
ok, remove the positive wire from the coil.

put a wire from the positive post on the battery to the positive post on the coil.

jump the starter from the big front post on the solenoid to the little single wire post next to it as you hold the coil wire 10 mm away from a bolt etc.

if you do not get spark, something inside your distributor is dead.

remove the jumper wire to the coil.

remove the distributor cap then jump the solenoid.

if your rotor does not turn, something broke.

if the rotor turns, the points or electronic module is dead.

A carton of Fosters for sure  :sick:

Cheers mate, ill have a crack tomorrow morning and see how i get on.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2015, 10:39:36 pm »
I just read back through this post ,ok you said a MSD , WHAT,  dizzy , or MSD box or both .  It could be the dizzy or box that has gone .  You still need to pull the plugs and show us what they look like .

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 11:24:12 pm »
I just read back through this post ,ok you said a MSD , WHAT,  dizzy , or MSD box or both .  It could be the dizzy or box that has gone .  You still need to pull the plugs and show us what they look like .

Blaster 3
Pro Billet
MSD 8.5 Super Conductor Wires

Also has a soft touch rev controller. Not sure how this is wired in but i know if its not connected to the - and + on the coil the car won't start.

Wires and coil are new

Just can't work out why the car ran for 10-15 mins with no issues, i turn it off runs for 20-30 secs then it just cuts out and refuses to start

I'll pull and replace the plugs tomorrow and post photos.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2015, 08:02:14 am »
Just can't work out why the car ran for 10-15 mins with no issues, i turn it off runs for 20-30 secs then it just cuts out and refuses to start

Because you touched it.  :lmao:

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2015, 08:39:04 am »

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2015, 12:22:20 pm »

Probably stupid question.

But starter solenoid has two smaller connections at the front connected to two smaller wires, has what looks like ground on the left and positive on the right.

I'm not seeing a big front post.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2015, 12:32:54 pm »

Probably stupid question. But starter solenoid has two smaller connections at the front connected to two smaller wires, has what looks like ground on the left and positive on the right.

I'm not seeing a big front post.

If you have ANY pre 1984 US made car, your solenoid should look like this . . If you have an aussie made car, only God can help you.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:35:45 pm by barnett468 »

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2015, 12:44:56 pm »
If you have ANY pre 1984 US made car, your solenoid should look like this . . If you have an aussie made car, only God can help you.

Thats the one.

FML !!!! I just connected everything up and tried to wind it over on the off chance it miraculously started and it wont even crank, tries to for maybe a split second thats it. Spins a couple of inches and thats it.

Can't hand crank the engine either, maybe 2-3 inches in either direction thats it

I've touched nothing,other than wind it over to 10 before TDC and only connecting wire one like you said. I assume the engine is locked somehow over night. It wound over fine with no issues and thats all i did.  Now im really in a panic

This car will be the death of me i tell ya..   :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:08:24 pm by Fitzy1980 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2015, 01:09:45 pm »
my previos post explains in exact detail how to jump that solenoid.

the battery cable goes to the BIG post on the left of the photo . . the first post next to that one should have just one wire on it.

leave the wire on that small post and connect the big front post to that small one with a short thin screw driver.

turn your headlights on, if they are "dim", so is your battery.  :lmao:

remove all the plugs and try to turn it over by hand or put a socket on the crank nut and turn it.

clean the posts on your battery and the battery ground wire where it connects to the engine.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:15:13 pm by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2015, 01:17:28 pm »
This car will be the death of me i tell ya..   :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:

No worries, we will continue to simultaneous help and humiliate you until it either runs or you break it.  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2015, 01:18:31 pm »
How much do you want for the carbs?  :bolt:

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2015, 01:21:34 pm »
Can you let me know if you ever come south of the Murray River. I don't want you in the same state as my car. You are definitely jinxed!

Sorry, shouldn't be flippant, you're probably not in the mood.

Can I suggest that before doing anything else you disconnect the battery so there is no chance of the starter being activated and leave it like that until you have figured out why it won't turn by hand, otherwise you're risking big internal damage which you hopefully don't have yet.

Do as Barnett says and remove the plugs so you're not fighting compression and try to turn it with a 15/16"socket on the crank pulley. Have a look to see that in all this stuffing around the starter hasn't somehow become jammed on the ring gear.

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2015, 01:25:00 pm »
No worries, we will continue to simultaneous help and humiliate you until it either runs or you break it.  :lmao:

I appreciate your support  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2015, 01:33:48 pm »
This the wiring setup, its a mess i know but this is how they set it up and as of yesterday its shat the bed.

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2015, 01:39:35 pm »
Pretty normal looking I reckon.

So what Barnett is saying is to jump it from the large terminal on the left in that pic, the one with the positive battery cable connected to it, to the first small terminal next to it.

BUT I still reckon don't be doing that until you can turn it easily by hand.