new nsw rta rego, whats the deal?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: new nsw rta rego, whats the deal?  (Read 40602 times)

Offline mussy65

• Worked
    • http://nsw.mustang.org.au
  • Name: Phil
Re: new nsw rta rego, whats the deal?
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2015, 12:09:16 am »
.... having a private logbook would mean that an "honour system" would have to be in force, as im sure entries would be forgotten or people might be too lazy to write it in sometimes

It has been suggested some may overlook the logbook entry but if pulled over, quickly fill in the book before constable Plod sees you doing so.  That is all well and good if you have time to do so.  Not so good if you just rear ended the car in front and were somewhat incapacitated yourself - no log book entry and you wear the $1500 in fines for unregistered vehicle, uninsured vehicle (CTP) and also wipe your comprehensive cover.  All that for the sake of saving a day in your log book entry??  Some people would run the risk as they are as dumb as dog sh1t.  Most reasonable people would think 60 days use is OK.

Bear in mind, the hot rod community has been operating under different rules to the classic car owner and is used to not taking their vehicle (on concessional rego) on the road until they have been issued a sanction number by the sponsoring club.  The rules were quite simple - no sanction number for the trip, no trip in the hot rod.  The hot rod community have been instrumental in getting the Modified proposal to the point of being announced by the minister so, do not be surprised if there is a requirement ensuring your log book entry has a corresponding entry in the club register - perhaps by way of a sanction number.  It does provide a good means of checking if the run is authorised and is an excellent audit trail in the event there is a question on the legitimate use of a vehicle.  I hope the end result does NOT have anything like this as it would indeed place a lot of admin work on the respective clubs. 

Until we see the detail from the RMS, we are all in the dark and just getting excited about the proposal as there is a great opportunity to offer the classic car community a fantastic scheme if they get it right and we do not abuse it.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2015, 06:22:38 am »
As the one who would re dive the text messages, it would be a nightmare. We could theoretically have 500+ members in NSW opt in. That would equate to 3,000 trips between them in a year.

I already have issues with some members who don't know how to text or email and call every  time they move their cars.

Personally, I'm praying it's an honour system, but I'm sure some will run two log books
IMG

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2015, 12:58:46 pm »
From another forum:

Hi Guys

We had a meeting last night & here’s what I can tell you. I doubt that anybody is going to be driving on the new rego scheme on 1st Oct. The roll out will be progressive.

The first thing that needs to happen, is the vetting of existing RMS recognised car clubs (those who run H-plates now) so that they can OK cars on the new scheme. It seems that each club, if they wish, will need to apply to be allowed to administer the new system.

Many clubs may not want to go thru the process & some new clubs may be established, but they will be looked at closely.

The easiest cars to put on the system are those legitimately on H-plates currently. So once your club has gone thru the approval process & if your car is currently on H-plates & you want to change to the log-book scheme, then you'll probably be on by Christmas. Unmodified cars with existing full rego will follow.

If the car is modified, then engineering approval (if required) is paramount. It will be self-regulating & this is why it’s called a ‘trial’. Many minor mods will not require engineering. The VSI 6 standards will apply.

On the issue of costs, again they’re not finalised yet, but they hint at a pro-rata rate, so if your current rego figure including CTP is, then divide it by 365 & then multiply by 60, (roughly 1/6 of the total) I believe you could be close. So if your current rego & green slip totals say $900 (a common figure for old cars) then the new scheme should cost around $150.

The big question, when it comes to costs, is insurance. Again, this is a trial & what is learned over the next 2 years will then be adjusted accordingly & put into practice on a permanent basis.

Strangely, number plates are not sorted yet either. No mention was made of any new number plate type (M or S plate or whatever) or it could be that you may be able to use your existing full-rego plate although that seems unlikely according to some. One thing for certain is that rego stickers will be issued, just like H-plated cars. It appears the RMS computer can’t handle concessional rego.

I think the next few months will be interesting to say the least.

Dr Terry

s
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:35:05 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline xpconnor

• Stallion
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2015, 04:15:02 pm »
Doesn't this system exist somewhere in Aus. though? I'm sure I remember reading that the club needed to be notified, it would only be a matter of texting details to the rep. before you go for a drive.

s

The log book system has been running in Vic and a slightly different version in SA for a number of years now, possibly in other states as well. Fairly easy really, you can pay for either 60 (or  it might be 90 days in Vic)  fill out the log book before you leave and drive to and from wherever you want that day with as many stops as you like along the way. No need to contact anyone from your club or jump through any hoops. The Vic one seems to be working well at this stage with only a couple of minor issues of people basically starting up car clubs and then allowing their mates to drive around in what would otherwise be an unregistrable car under the guise of club rego.

I don't understand why NSW is trying to reinvent the wheel on this one as other states have done most of the hard work for them.  :smash: I can only imagine that between the RMS (is that what it is called in NSW?) and the car clubs it is all a bit like an episode of Utopia.......
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:44:54 pm by xpconnor »

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2015, 05:21:25 pm »
UPDATE ON THE NEW SCHEME...Hopefully it answers a few questions for most...

HISTORIC REGISTRATION LOG BOOK OPTION COMMENCING OCTOBER 1ST 2015

The trial will allow all operators of existing vehicles within the Historic Vehicle Scheme to opt-in. These vehicles may then be used for 60 days of general use (i.e. club events, maintenance and personal use) each year. Each day’s use must be recorded in the Log Book.

Existing operators

To opt in, the registered operator or their representative must attend a registry or service centre with:

·         proof of identity such as a NSW driver licence,

·         the current Certificate of Conditional Registration (if available),

·         the current Certificate of Approved Operations (if available)

·         a completed Adjustment of records to have the vehicle’s conditions updated (http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/about/forms/45070212-adjustment-of-records.pdf).

New operators

New entrants to the Historic Vehicle Scheme after the trial commences may apply for inclusion in the Log Book Trial, subject to the existing historic vehicle and registered operator eligibility criteria.

To conditionally register a vehicle in the Historic Vehicle Scheme, customers must provide:

·         a completed Application for Conditional Registration form (http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/about/forms/45070939-conditional-reg.pdf)
proof of identity such as a NSW driver licence
Proof of registration entitlement (eg an original receipt for the vehicle, which clearly shows the buyer’s name, the seller’s name, address and signature, the VIN or Chassis/frame or serial number and the date of acquisition)
A Historic Vehicle Declaration not greater than 42 days old (http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/about/forms/45070967-historic-vehicle-declaration.pdf)
Note: a vehicle safety inspection report must be presented if the club is less than two years old.

Existing and new operators will be issued:

·         Certificate of Conditional Registration
·         Certificate of Approved Operations, with the updated conditions
·         Historic Vehicle Log Book Trial form
Historic vehicles (including trailers) must be 30 years of age or older as from the year of manufacture.

Historic vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations except for safety features such as seat belts and turn indicators or period accessories and options, if desired.

The registered operator must be a member of a Roads and Maritime recognised historic vehicle club (http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/registration/get-nsw-registration/vehicle-sheets/historic-vehicle-clubs.pdf).

If you have further questions, please contact Roads and Maritime Services on 13 22 13.

**NOTE: REMEMBER IF YOU CHANGE TO THE NEW SCHEME YOU MUST NOTIFY YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER OF THE CHANGE.

Offline 65muzzy

• Worked
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2015, 08:25:51 pm »
This 60 days equates to just over 1 day per week. I think this system will benefit a lot of people. Certainly me and cheap rego and insurance.

Offline Dr Terry

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2015, 04:09:56 pm »
Hi Guys

I'm the guy that wrote the reply above, posted by StephenSLR.

It seems that some blokes on the various forums have got the 'bull by the horns' so to speak.

The whole problem here is that too many people are making un-sustantiated assumptions.

The new system has been designed to fill 2 needs:-

1. Allow legally modified cars (30+ years old) onto a concessional rego scheme.
2. Allow a log book system for all old cars. This includes unmodified cars if they find H-plates too restrictive.

There is a lot of detail yet to come, so all we can do at this stage is wait & see. As far as the clubs themselves are concerned, if they are already recognised by the RMS, then go ahead & e-mail them so that when things get going you will be on the list to be eligible for the new system & informed how to administer it when the time comes.

I doubt very much that the log book will have to be signed off by the club. The club's main responsibility is to ensure that the car is within the rules. If they are happy that it is & the owner is a financial member of the club & abides by their rules, then the club registrar will sign off the 1259 form (or something similar, TBA). If the car not does comply or the member doesn't abide by clubs rules then the 1259 form is not signed & he can't renew his rego. Same as for H-plates.

On the subject of number of events etc. that is up to the club concerned, the RMS does not mandate any of that. If a club makes a rule that he must attend say 3 events to remain a club member, then so be it. If the member is not happy with that requirement, then he is free to choose another club that may suit him.

You'll note that I said "ensure that the car is within the rules". Here is where confusion reigns.

Even under the old H-plate scheme, which remains unchanged BTW, many cars did not comply. The RMS rules state:- "Historic vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations except for safety features such as seat belts and turn indicators or period accessories and options, if desired."

This does not mean a 'stock as a rock' or 'only as it left the factory'. The grey area is how each club interprets the term "period accessories and options". Clearly this does not allow modern 18-inch alloys, monster brakes or late model EFI engines, but a set of 14 x 7 Cragar alloys, a Holley or extractors could be considered "period". Many clubs differ on the exact interpretation of this rule.

The three other things to consider are:-
1. How do you define "period". To me it must represent the era. Easy proof would be a motor magazine or catalog from the same era, showing the "accessory" in question.
2. When does an accessory or option become a modification ?  Another 'can of worms', but clearly, common sense should prevail.
3. No matter what is fitted or changed it must be still road legal, if it wasn't road legal in the 60s, then it won't be road legal today, even if "everybody did it back then".

To me, a car radio, alloy wheels or a sun visor are accessories, but a later model engine or gearbox transplant are modifications.

Now look at modified cars, they fall into 2 categories.
1. Those with modifications that do not comply with H-plate/club rules, but do not require engineering (refer to RMS rules, VSI 6).
2. Those that do not fit under VSI 6 & therefore require engineering certification.

This is where the club comes in, they need to make sure that the car is within the rules. Sure it might come with a Pink Slip, but as we all know this is only a safety check & not an ADR check. So if the car in question has had its heater removed, a much larger engine & a late model set of seats fitted, then this could pass a Pink Slip, but is not eligible under VSI 6. All those items require engineering certification. The club registrar, or whoever inspects the vehicles must not only be up to speed on the cars themselves, but more importantly, registration & engineering guidelines. Somebody who handles Blue Slips for example will know exactly what I mean.

Obviously the RMS does not want a repeat of what's happened in Victoria, where we often see full-on drag cars with superchargers out of the bonnet & wheelie bars driving around on historic plates.

This is the reason that many smaller clubs are not interested in going with the new system. They are happy the way it is & don't want the extra responsibility or agro that goes with it.

On the subject of 'fiddling' the log book, if you are allowed 60 days per year, why bother, unless you want to rort the system to the fullest & drive your car to work every day & not pay your full rego. To me this is the equivalent of 'dole-bludging', if you use the car every day then pay full rego, if you use the car only once a week (usually on the weekend) then get concessional rego, simple. Don't get others to pay for your usage.

BTW, don't get caught by a red-light camera (or any other camera) on the same day as the day you didn't fill in your log book. If you do & the number plate recognition system flags that you are on concessional rego, you may get a visit from those concerned to check your log book, rather than getting a fine in the post. If you have no entry on the day in question, you will be deemed unregistered with a nice fine of around $1200-$1400 for no rego & no CTP !!

The other aspect not covered by many so far, is that of insurance premiums, both CTP & comprehensive. Those on H-plates currently, enjoy quite low costs for these. Rightly so, the risk is very low !! If the clubs let huge numbers of overly-modified cars (with a few associated hoons) onto concessional rego, then the claim rate will climb alarming as will our premiums. You don't have to believe me, this is happening in Victoria as we speak. Food for thought ?

Dr Terry

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2015, 08:01:48 pm »
i will be putting my car on club rego in aprox 6 wks or so in vic , its pretty simple ! i have to join a club which , at the moment i am in the process of doing.
As soon as I am accepted into the club , i have to present my stang with a roadworthy to the clubs nominated inspector for approval once signed off job done pay the fees get my plates.
As a social member i will be required to attend 3 functions a year and be paid up to enjoy the benefits of club rego.
i will be taking the 90 day option and of course we get a log book , and am free to drive anytime anywhere , just have to fill in the log book before going, pretty damm simple i say , and to be honest i would be pushed to drive it for a full 3 mths a year .
if i dont pay my club fees my car is then classed as unregistered .
so its pretty damm good I say and simple as well !!
shane
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2015, 07:59:18 am »
Dr Terry, as the NSW Club Plate Registrar I obviously have a significant interest in this issue. Last week I contacted the RMS to get more info. - only to find those in the Historic Vehicle Coordination section didn't even know of the Ministers release. I left my number and asked for a call with more info. I got one the next day, telling me they knew no more.

I do t hold out much hope of getting info from RMS, but have no doubt a member will point out a new release when they read it.

I agree with your thoughts re modifications etc. my attitude is we are to try and maintain the history of the car. Safety mods are ok, but tubbed cars etc are not. Final decision re accepted modifications will be made in consultation with the MOCA committee.

As a Club, we are going to wait until the RMS to provide more specific details of the scheme.
IMG

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2015, 10:48:41 am »
dr terry what is wrong with modified classic cars ? if a car gets a late model transplant upgraded brakes etc and is all engineer approved and certified and supplied with a current roadworthy cant see a problem .
one of the reasons for the club rego in victoria is that caters for not only classic cars but hot/street rods and i think that they were a big part of why there is club rego through their work .
there will always be dogey bandits trying to abuse the system be it the dole / jobs/ cars thats part of life and you just have to work around it
shane
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2015, 01:02:41 pm »
I like the QLD system .  But I can't believe some of the cars driving around on club rego with some of these modifications like huge tubs ,15x12 wheels on rear ,15x5 on front ,dump pipes( under car before diff)  super chargers hanging out of the hoods ,batteries in trunks uncovered , fuel cells , nitros etc etc . I like some mods but  these are street driven cars not race cars that should be on the race track . Sorry nothing to do with your NSW rego .

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2015, 01:07:10 pm »
I like the QLD system .  But I can't believe some of the cars driving around on club rego with some of these modifications like huge tubs...

Is it legal in QLD or a little bit nudge, nudge, wink, wink, between club and member?

s

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2015, 01:48:14 pm »
The club has nothing to do with the rego side . The club only has to make sure the car is 30 years old or older . So no wink wink on the club side ,but yes maybe on the RWC side .

Offline Dr Terry

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2015, 01:56:16 pm »
dr terry what is wrong with modified classic cars ? if a car gets a late model transplant upgraded brakes etc and is all engineer approved and certified and supplied with a current roadworthy cant see a problem .
one of the reasons for the club rego in victoria is that caters for not only classic cars but hot/street rods and i think that they were a big part of why there is club rego through their work .
there will always be dogey bandits trying to abuse the system be it the dole / jobs/ cars thats part of life and you just have to work around it
shane
I think you are missing the point. There is nothing wrong with modified classic cars. That's exactly what the new scheme is designed for..

Dr Terry

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2015, 02:01:13 pm »
The club only has to make sure the car is 30 years old or older.

It's different in NSW, if the club approves it and it's not as close to original as possible, they risk losing their licence.

s

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2015, 02:12:25 pm »
As I said here in QLD the club only does a visual  for the build date . Nothing to do with any mods on the car ,that's the RWC guy and an engineer  and his reports if needed . Gee if the club  has to check that a car has legal mods  a lot of cars would be off the road here .

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2015, 07:35:17 am »
Lots of speculation and assumptions being made about the new system and how it will be managed.

As previously advised, we are trying to get information from the RMS about how the scheme will run. As probably the largest classic car club in the State, we should be one of the first to know.

As soon as we have some more information, we will ensure that all members of the club are advised as soon as possible.
IMG

Offline Dr Terry

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2015, 08:50:04 am »
Lots of speculation and assumptions being made about the new system and how it will be managed.

As previously advised, we are trying to get information from the RMS about how the scheme will run. As probably the largest classic car club in the State, we should be one of the first to know.

As soon as we have some more information, we will ensure that all members of the club are advised as soon as possible.

Spot on David, I think we'll all have to wait & see. From what I hear the RMS still has some more work to do before the scheme is even finalised.

I'm sure we will hear a lot more at the CMC meeting on the 30th Sept, from those in the know. That should squash a lot of the speculation & assumptions.

Dr Terry

Offline Dr Terry

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2015, 09:13:05 am »
I agree with your thoughts re modifications etc. my attitude is we are to try and maintain the history of the car. Safety mods are ok, but tubbed cars etc are not. Final decision re accepted modifications will be made in consultation with the MOCA committee.
I was intrigued by this comment. This would only be in reference only to the current H-plate surely.

From my understanding of the new scheme, tubbed cars, if properly engineered would be eligible.

The whole thing revolves around whether on not the club concerned 'wants' modified cars in their ranks, not just on H-plates. If they are happy to have them, then apply for the new scheme. There appears to be too much of an "us versus them" attitude.

I'm sure there would be a lot of owners of legally modified Mustangs, who would love this new scheme & still be part of your club.

Over the years a lot of clubs have 'stretched' the interpretation of "period accessories and options" to mean just about anything the club will turn a blind eye to. I see of 60s cars on H-plates which are dumped to the max, with strut front ends & rack & pinion steering with 18"-20" alloys. None of that is 'historic', 'period', 'an accessory' or 'an option', yet there still out there. ATM there are a lot of cars on H-plates (I'm not just talking about Mustangs here) that shouldn't be. This new scheme is intended to address that.

Nothing wrong with legally modified historic cars, as long as they are legal a safe.

Dr Terry

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2016, 05:50:49 pm »
I just saw this on another forum.

Just in from Council of Motor Clubs

COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE & THE LOG BOOK SCHEME
We have been made aware via the CHMC (Bush Council) magazine, the Bush Telegraph, that there may be some issues with comprehensive insurance cover. Seems that some members contacted NRMA Insurance to check on their cover when using their vehicles on the 60 day logbook scheme trial. They say they were told by NRMA Insurance that if the use of the vehicle is not for hobby or recreational purposes then the cover in their policy is void. Stated that if it is for private use such as going to the shops or picking up children from school then there is no coverage.

The information above is second or third hand but from a reliable source in our opinion.
We contacted Shannons to check what their ideas were and we were told that if the vehicle is used within the rules of the registration system it is on, then the vehicle is covered by their policy.  They are monitoring the NSW claims coming in since the Oct 2015 introduction of the logbook trial to see if anything changes but, at this stage they see no reason to alter policies or premiums.

We suggest that if you have a policy with any other insurer apart from Shannons it might be a wise move to enquire about your cover.
Terry Thompson OAM
President, Council of Motor Clubs Inc

s

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2016, 07:12:32 pm »
i have my car on full comprehensive insurance with ryno insurance , they actually like that my car is on club rego , it reduces my premiums and they are of the opinion that the less amount of time on the road means less chance of an accident .

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2016, 07:24:56 pm »
the less amount of time on the road means less chance of an accident.

That's why it's cheaper if you're on club rego but just make sure that your policy covers the new rules where you can drive around for non-club activities.

s

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2016, 07:12:57 pm »
in victoria you can drive around any where you want , the club you are in may put some conditions on you like attending x amount of meetings and participating in x amount of club functions but that is it .
ryno send you a booklet explaining what they do and dont cover and participating in a club function has no bearing onmaking a claim

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2016, 10:14:35 am »
I'm up for rego shortly and i've been looking into the new log book scheme..

What exactly is involved in NSW ?

Any recommended clubs in Newcastle ?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:17:02 am by Fitzy1980 »

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2016, 07:52:43 pm »
MOCA NSW is the club you want to join, there is a chapter in Newcastle, all the information on club rego can be found on the web site :thumb: