Chinese made alloy heads

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Chinese made alloy heads  (Read 29653 times)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Chinese made alloy heads
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 09:50:33 pm »
The problem is its getting harder not to buy something made in china .

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 10:01:36 pm »
It's the same old chestnut - years ago people said they'd never buy anything made in Japan and now...   The main problem with Chinese goods at the moment is the wildly varying quality which is very hard to pick before taking the plunge.

And just to have a crack at the old standby "you get what you pay for" line - sometimes you do and sometimes you don't.  Just because something is expensive does not guarantee its quality.  Nike vs. the no-name cheapies in runners is the classic example: they all come from third world factories that pay their workers 2c an hour.  The difference is with Nike you're also paying for marketing and flash big city offices populated by executives wearing Hugo Boss suits.  These things don't make the runners any better...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:07:49 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 01:41:08 pm »
It's the same old chestnut - years ago people said they'd never buy anything made in Japan and now...   The main problem with Chinese goods at the moment is the wildly varying quality which is very hard to pick before taking the plunge.

And just to have a crack at the old standby "you get what you pay for" line - sometimes you do and sometimes you don't.  Just because something is expensive does not guarantee its quality.  Nike vs. the no-name cheapies in runners is the classic example: they all come from third world factories that pay their workers 2c an hour.  The difference is with Nike you're also paying for marketing and flash big city offices populated by executives wearing Hugo Boss suits.  These things don't make the runners any better...

The difference is when you have a problem the no name supplier will not want to know you but the big flashy mob might be more willing to provide warranty and or goodwill to maintain their good name.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 10:51:29 am »
Dont like a lot of things that come out of china but I like Chinese food .  :grin:

........................................I like the Chinese Lawn Bowling Team.

. Holy crap!

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 10:56:35 am »
Eddy heads are cast and machined in the US.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 12:21:49 pm »
OK here's an example, My AFR heads had a failure, when I approached AFR correctly (it was torcherous) they replaced the heads.
Years ago (actually 100"s) I bought a kanezza camera and such, had a problem, they told me to send it back for replacement. NEVER seen it again, :cry: they disappeared.
LUVHEV
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 11:26:09 am »
 I bought a kanezza camera and such, had a problem, they told me to send it back for replacement. NEVER seen it again, :cry: they disappeared.
LUVHEV
[/quote]

So what your saying is never buy Kenezza heads ?   :sarcasm:   

Just messing with ya Hev   :grin:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:07 pm »
I bought a kanezza camera and such, had a problem, they told me to send it back for replacement. NEVER seen it again, :cry: they disappeared.
LUVHEV
So what your saying is never buy Kenezza heads ? 

I was wondering what the hell you guys are on about; do you mean Kinezo as in Chinese?

lol

s

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 01:57:18 pm »
So what your saying is never buy Kenezza heads ? 

I was wondering what the hell you guys are on about; do you mean Kinezo as in Chinese?

lol

s

I don't think anyone ever knows exactly what HEV is ever talkin about. 

.  :agree:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:59:22 pm by barnett468 »

Offline gazzab055

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Gary
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2015, 10:48:47 am »
My 72 V8 Capri weighs 2450 pound with 302 all cast iron Windsor V8, C4 trans and 28 spline LSD rear end. Haven't run it over the quarter yet but gets along even with small hydraulic cam, 2.75 ratio rear end, 600cfm Holley and tri-Y extractors. Needs a full dual exhaust system yet. The future 347 stroker with hydraulic roller cam and Edelbrock Performer heads and manifold combo will probably wake it up later!

A good 1000 pound lighter than my 351 Windsor powered 69 fastback Mustang. The Mustang is a much better car to drive though, even better since the Borgeson steering box was installed! Capri is too choppy a ride, with heavy steering. Do have the later model Capri power steering assembly for installation later though.

Offline gazzab055

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 10:57:13 am »
Sorry missed my train of thought after you went of on a Capri tangent.

I saw some of the early Chinese cylinder heads, was not impressed when I saw valves seating half on the aluminium of the combustion chamber because the valve seat inserts were not big enough diameter for the valve diameter!

Have bought Edelbrock myself (Performer, Victor aluminium and a pair of Windsor senior cast iron heads).

Chinese quality is improving, can't get any worse than it has been!

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 07:50:43 am »
gazza - where you located? I would like to see the Capri. I build a V8 one 20 years ago and have lots of fond memories. PM me.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 08:03:57 am »
I always wanted a V8 Capri ,but years ago in QLD you could only fit a 289 and  it had to be in an original V6 GT car .  I even wrote to the head of qld transport about fitting a 302 but they said no . I bought a wrecked v6 shell and was going to buy a 4 cyl Capri and make it into a v6 ,but didn't happen so I sold the v6 vin plate to a mate , and he was going to do the same thing ,he didn't but I think he still has the plate .

Offline gazzab055

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 08:30:06 am »
I live in Ipswich, Queensland.

The V8 Capri was registered six days before the rules changed in Qld to a maximum of 4 litres (April 30 2013). I'd been building it for 21 years!

The last formula actually allowed 313ci. I used a Castlemaine engine mount kit, that was all wrong, set the engine too high, as was their tri-Y extractors. By using a fox body mustang rear sump the Windsor V8 fits neatly into the engine bay. Even fitted the later model, stronger C4 (C9) in it. A Ford Motorsport short Windsor water pump gives enough
radiator clearance for a 16" electric fan.

Ask Rodney about it , I showed it to him when I was last buying stuff from him. 

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 08:57:37 am »
It pees me off when they change the rules . As I said at 1st it was a max 289 in a Capri GT v6 body ,then went to 351 then back to 4 lt .  I have 2 mates with v8 Capri ,one is a blue  351c the other is a  dark orange 347w .

Offline gazzab055

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 09:35:02 am »
Sorry Glenn, it has never been legal to put a 351V8 in a Capri in Queensland, I've watched the rules for 25 years now, even had to sell my 351 Cleveland V8 to build a Windsor for the Capri 23 years ago!

Plenty have put them in in Qld, but not legally, probably identified the engine as a 302 Cleveland.

The Windsor saves over 150 pounds over the front end compared to a Cleveland.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:31 am »
Windsor powered Capris were available from Ford dealers in South Africa. They were 302's.

http://www.perana.org/capriv8.asp

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_ford_capri_perana.php

would you be able to register one of these in Qld?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2015, 09:58:22 am »
Hey, at least it only has TWO doors.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2015, 10:03:19 am »
I was wondering about the 351 Capri s running around and if they should have had 302 s .  That's what I was going to do  :grin: .  Was yours out on the week end .  And Mike I have seen a couple of Capri s over your part of the world and the early Capri s too .

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 10:17:51 am »
And Mike I have seen a couple of Capri s over your part of the world and the early Capri s too .

Yes, and it's a memory I had hoped to forget.  :lmao:

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 10:27:36 am »
Very nice - I like very much. I started my build at least 25 years ago. I will have to think about it some more I guess. Had it for a very long time. Did not want to give it up but I sold it to get extra cash for a house deposit.

Any way, I  built the engine mounts and did basically all the work. Had a 5 speed, 9 inch, full cage, etc etc etc.  Andrew Medeki purchased it from me and is racing it in the targa events (I assume he rebuilt it when his son dropped it into the water).

It was a load of fun. I still may have a few parts here - it was hard enough 20 years ago getting parts. I am sure it is far harder now. I have used the car as my model (very basic plan) for my 65 Fastback.

I am in Brisbane, It would be great to have a look when convenient.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 10:32:08 am »
Mike we had those with a couple of 4 cyls and a v6 ,south Africa had a v8 Windsor . I like the early 60s Capri  , I think  :grin:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 10:38:06 am »
Mike we had those with a couple of 4 cyls and a v6 ,south Africa had a v8 Windsor . I like the early 60s Capri  , I think  :grin: .

a windsor would definitely make it interesting . . then stroke it to a 347...

Offline gazzab055

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2015, 01:24:44 pm »
Luckily I have a full 347 stroker kit, Mexican block, mains girdle, gt40 efi system, AOD and BTR automatic 4 speeds, as well as a Hilborn 8 stack mechanical injection system!

I don't really want to race the Capri though, just cruise around at present.

As I said the 69 Mustang is a much better cruising car though, I'll probably warm it up soon, need a bit more poke. I'll have to change the FMX though, never has been a favourite transmission of mine. Getting that cast iron slug out is looking to be a bit daunting at present.

I've got the hot up parts for a good late model C4.