Building a Bullit vs. importing...

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Building a Bullit vs. importing...  (Read 35345 times)

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
  • Not a bogan, but I like dem big V8's!
  • Name: Hugh
Re: Building a Bullit vs. importing...
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2015, 11:07:29 am »
None taken, but you have changed your tune just a little.  Here's what you had to say when I linked to a 6cyl auto on Ebay:

No matter either way, just helps us to help you if we know which way you're headed...  :thumb:

Yes however Brian but they key thing on that one was the price. We are talking apples and oranges here. Cheap vs. not;

Cheap I'll take any spec fastback 68/68,
Not cheap and I won't because I'm paying a bug arse premium for stuff I don't want.

I'm not interested in paying for a going car that has the wrong bits in it.
That really us a waste of money. If it was a V8 manual in highland green then yes I would pay that kind if money...
Grumpy old git!

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2015, 11:15:35 am »
Others here will know way better than me, but like everything else in life it's a grey area...

My limited understanding is for the vehicle to be considered as a 60's Mustang then the core components of the vehicle must be original and/or period correct. What this means exactly is anyone's guess and probably open to a bit of interpretation by the engineer certifying the vehicle.  However, I would expect the frame/chassis, motor, major suspension components, etc. should be of a design/construction original to the particular vehicle or were available as a factory variant/option of that model range at the time of manufacture.

As has been mentioned on these forums many times before, there can be significant differences in requirements from state to state.  I would have thought you'd be OK in most places with what you want to do provided you use  replacement parts that are of a period correct design. 

The one thing I can think of that might cause you trouble is the gearbox as it's a modern unit.  Get advice from a pro but it may turn out easier certification-wise to fit an old clunker 3 or 4 speed box and change it out once you have the roadworthy.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2015, 11:21:38 am »
Cheap I'll take any spec fastback 68/68,
Not cheap and I won't because I'm paying a bug arse premium for stuff I don't want.

I'm not interested in paying for a going car that has the wrong bits in it.
That really us a waste of money. If it was a V8 manual in highland green then yes I would pay that kind if money...

You are going to source your own motor and gearbox regardless of which car you buy, correct? 

If so, you will be 'throwing away' the running gear of the donor car regardless of whether it's a 6 or a V8, manual or auto, correct?

If so, the premium you pay for the donor car will be higher if it's V8 and manual (all other things being equal) therefore you will be discarding more value of the donor car from a V8 manual than an auto 6.

And any car in the price bracket you're shopping in won't have worthwhile paint anyway, so what does it matter if it's highland green or not?

Sounds to me like you have your heart set on a donor car that has matching engine, trans type and paint code to the spec you want to build and you're prepared to pay more for it.  The question is - how much?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:24:13 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2015, 11:51:11 am »
My limited understanding is for the vehicle to be considered as a 60's Mustang then the core components of the vehicle must be original and/or period correct. What this means exactly is anyone's guess and probably open to a bit of interpretation by the engineer certifying the vehicle.

Yeah there are some rules like that here; for instance if you change to 4 wheel discs or upgrade engine then you have to have lap-sash instead of lap belts but I hear it varies state to state and according to the engineer's interpretation, etc.

Be sure to have it all sussed out.

s
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:52:42 am by StephenSLR »

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:17 pm »
Also Chad McQueen's car is not an exact replica of his Dad's movie cars.
Yes you're right, I was thinking of a Bullitt movie car replica featured in one of the Mustang magazines & confused it with an article on Chad McQueen's car. Duh.
His car was built on a '67 Dynacorn shell to to replicate the original '68 externally but mechanically modded with crate engine, 5-speed & aftermarket steering & suspension kits. And has 16" wheels instead of 15".
Hopefully something suitable will turn up soon for you. Might pay to advertise, as you never know what cars are salted away in people's sheds.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:58:27 pm by 67FBGT »

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:06 pm »
You could also enlist someone like Shermatt to look for you in the states. Who knows, he may already know of something.

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2015, 09:43:27 am »
Indeed Ron and that's what I've done.

I did have a deal on a genuine GTA 390 in Nebraska, but the guy welched on the deal after we agreed on a price etc. sold it to somebody else...

Matt is searching around for me. I'm also now toying with the idea of buying one of those restored fastback shells that comes with an old car title and bill of sale etc.
Aside from Desert Mustangs there are a few others being done that I've found for sale.

I ran it past Infastructure and its no problem apparently, as long as you ship it with an engine, gearbox, axles and or wheels etc.

Although with the $ the way it is it may pay to wait a while!

Brian, it seems we've misunderstood each other. For me it's down to simple costs.
If it's cheap I'll consider anything restorable, if they want good money then of course I expect something closer to the desired final car...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:10:16 am by mungus »
Grumpy old git!

cam

cam
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2015, 09:50:31 am »
This thread has been merged with a thread, on the same subject, called noob
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:52:56 am by CPU »

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2015, 12:51:31 pm »
Interesting read guys but I must admit buying a shell for 30 k from the muscle car factory seems reasonable but with everything else the cost will escalate to easily 70g...when you can get this (see link below) for $48700 in Aus... yes its not bullitt but this car is a 390 it is here and a great looking car by the photos.

My point is why would you import with the hassles of  handling costs not seeing the car etc... or the hassle of being only a kit car from the muscle car factory and not being a stang that's not recognized.(btw I think that's debatable) 

Its always been a dream of mine to build a modern day bullitt I will one day but for me this car is a glamour (credit to any one who owns it on here) and a perfect candidate of bullitt ..you are still going to spend money changing the colour however at the price this is... this is how I would go.

http://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/cars/unique-cars/ford/mustang/82719

another car although not a 67/68 but a rust free (so the ad says) 69 mach1

http://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/cars/unique-cars/ford/mustang/62872

again you might be struggling to get better from the states and importing this over at 26500 in Aus
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:06:04 pm by MACH_ONE »
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline littlejohn

• Worked
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2015, 07:40:30 pm »
that white one is an outright bargain :thumb:

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
Cheers,
Brian

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2015, 10:17:14 am »
Interesting read guys but I must admit buying a shell for 30 k from the muscle car factory seems reasonable but with everything else the cost will escalate to easily 70g...when you can get this (see link below) for $48700 in Aus... yes its not bullitt but this car is a 390 it is here and a great looking car by the photos.  My point is why would you import with the hassles of  handling costs not seeing the car etc... or the hassle of being only a kit car from the muscle car factory and not being a stang that's not recognized.(btw I think that's debatable)   Its always been a dream of mine to build a modern day bullitt I will one day but for me this car is a glamour (credit to any one who owns it on here) and a perfect candidate of bullitt ..you are still going to spend money changing the colour however at the price this is... this is how I would go.

http://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/cars/unique-cars/ford/mustang/82719

again you might be struggling to get better from the states and importing this over at 26500 in Aus

I like the idea of the white 390, being already RHD and already in VIC. Auto unfortunately, so a bit a extra work making it Tremec TKO ready, but ya cant have everything! Have emailed the owner about the warranty plate etc. You've probably seen the blue one in SYD on eBay. Its a manual but LHD and not on the OZ registry yet, plus the owner wants more I'd day, his BIN price is $52K AUD...

I too like the convenience and workmanship of the Muscle Car Factory, but it will be a "kit car" so to speak and subject to ADR's. So definitely a no no for me. BTW the way there are guys in the USA making RHD Dynacorn shells, with the ADR mods (seat belt points and side impact) and you can get them for as cheap as $18-19K USD in California. But again the kit car thing raises its head.
Ideally I want the 1968 look. And it seems 67's are easier to find, so that's another issue... (don't really want to swap rear quarters if the old one is good).

So for now my options seem to be fastbacking a coupe or saving up for an S code. There is a very wide price range on S code fastbacks it seems, with some pie in the sky dealers asking $65-70K AUD for rodded & glammed up ones down to $40K for older resto runners with correct numbers. Our economy not being the best these days, (one dealer I know says all his sales over $50K have gone quiet), I'd be surprised if the top end stays that way. Although its tempting to not have to pay $4K+ to get the thing home and then GST etc.

I'm fully anticipating a complete strip down and repaint in Highland Green anyway, plus the Tremec 600, a set of 15" Torque Thrusts and Retro sound etc. So whatever I get theres work involved!  :smilies:

I'll keep the forum posted when it finally gets underway.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:29:08 am by mungus »
Grumpy old git!

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2015, 10:21:17 am »
Any news on the stang? I would be interested know if its an original if it is...shes cheap
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2015, 10:24:03 am »
Any news on the stang? I would be interested know if its an original if it is...shes cheap

Nothing heard mate, but I'll post details when (or if) he replies.
His name is Nigel and he's in Brighton VIC. Anyone here know the car?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:37:06 am by mungus »
Grumpy old git!

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2015, 10:41:15 am »
The Healey Factory in Mitcham has this Bullitt clone for sale at $75K.

http://www.healeyfactory.com.au/listing/1967-ford-mustang-fastback/

Nice car but the norm of I want a clone that's not clone; wrong interior, engine, transmission, wheels, trim, etc, etc, etc...  A typical "67/68 highland green fastback with blackout grille and TT-D's = Bullitt clone". 
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2015, 11:44:36 am »

another car although not a 67/68 but a rust free (so the ad says) 69 mach1

http://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/cars/unique-cars/ford/mustang/62872

Maybe not a 67/68, but that Mach1 looks GREAT for the money!
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2015, 05:44:43 pm »
Nothing heard mate, but I'll post details when (or if) he replies.
His name is Nigel and he's in Brighton VIC. Anyone here know the car?

Well its been a while and he never replied. So I guess its sold or hes not interested...

In any case I've moved on. Bought a 1968 390GT Fastback project from the US a few days ago.
So hopefully in a couple of months she'll be in my barn and the project slowly underway.

BTW totally agree with Mert. I saw that car on the net and had exactly the same thoughts. You'd think it was a Bullit clone as you passed it going the other way. But it would take about 30 seconds at 10 metres to pick the obvious flaws... Still a damn nice car though!
Grumpy old git!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2015, 06:47:29 pm »
I've moved on. Bought a 1968 390GT Fastback project from the US a few days ago.
Start a build thread here in the Members Cars section and put up some pics.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/board,30.0.html

Chop Chop!

s

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2015, 08:55:55 pm »
Start a build thread here in the Members Cars section and put up some pics.
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/board,30.0.html
Chop Chop!
s

Plan to Stephen. Might be a while though. Just pondering what tasty bits to buy and chuck in the car before she leaves Newark. Seems the wheels and tyres I want are cheaper there than here. Was gonna buy the Tremec TKO 600 kit off Mustang Depot too, but with the $ the Dellow kit is a lot cheaper. Although the depot kit looks better (low profile option for the BB and has a mount etc).
Grumpy old git!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2015, 09:16:44 pm »
Plan to Stephen.

You can still start up a thread with the pics you have of it; then just add, ask questions, etc. as you go along.
Would love to see what you bought.

;)

s

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2015, 08:57:22 am »
Plan to Stephen. Might be a while though. Just pondering what tasty bits to buy and chuck in the car before she leaves Newark. Seems the wheels and tyres I want are cheaper there than here. Was gonna buy the Tremec TKO 600 kit off Mustang Depot too, but with the $ the Dellow kit is a lot cheaper. Although the depot kit looks better (low profile option for the BB and has a mount etc).

Try Mal Wood for the gearbox as well, Torque thrust wheels are not expensive here either, Fataz Comp engines have them they run them on the Race cars.

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2015, 02:50:15 pm »
Thanks Shaun, tried Mal, but he was dead set on getting me to go for a T56 6 speed, which I'm really not interested in. He said he was going to email all his options but that was a couple of weeks ago and nada since then. Took days to respond to my initial inquiry too. Guess he was busy?

The key thing for me is that the depot deal has the BB low profile mod on their TKO's. Means no chopping up the tunnel. Big plus for me. Plus they provide the mount itself and several nice clutch control options. Nada on all those counts from Dellow so far. But I've emailed them back asking what they can russle up.

Interested in the Torq Thrust wheels though. Who is a good dealer for them on the east coast?
I imagine a business like Fataz have their own sources, but do they sell wheels to the public?
Grumpy old git!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2015, 08:33:43 pm »
Thanks Shaun, tried Mal, but he was dead set on getting me to go for a T56 6 speed, which I'm really not interested in. He said he was going to email all his options but that was a couple of weeks ago and nada since then. Took days to respond to my initial inquiry too. Guess he was busy?

The key thing for me is that the depot deal has the BB low profile mod on their TKO's. Means no chopping up the tunnel. Big plus for me. Plus they provide the mount itself and several nice clutch control options. Nada on all those counts from Dellow so far. But I've emailed them back asking what they can russle up.

Interested in the Torq Thrust wheels though. Who is a good dealer for them on the east coast?
I imagine a business like Fataz have their own sources, but do they sell wheels to the public?

Fataz sell to the public they are a dealer, American racing sponsor the Trans-am series, Fataz build some of the cars and quite a lot of the engines, for the series, and other series. The trick to getting AODs and the larger 5 speeds to fit is to move the tunnel brace back in the tunnel you can then use the original factory mount as well. No trouble to get a TKO into a 67 with a big block, I built an FE 390 a while back for an Eleanor that car is running a TKO set up from Mal Wood including Hydraulic clutch works great. Are you keeping it LHD? RHD is easy to sort for Hydraulic clutch just use a XB falcon pedal box set up.