Converting reversing lights to indicators

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Converting reversing lights to indicators  (Read 33457 times)

Offline pgold

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Gold
  • Car: 69 sportsroof
Re: Converting reversing lights to indicators
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2021, 11:17:28 am »
BB, I don't have wire diagram for a 65 / 66 so I can't give you wire colours . But the intent is to locate wire from stop light switch to taillights (this wire goes through your indicators switch in steering column then two wires to stop indicator bulbs) . Then locate the wire from reverse switch to reverse lights. At a convenient location :lmao: cut both wires and connect to the other wire. Stop light switch to reverse light wire going to boot. Reverse light switch join to old stop light wire to steering column.
When you change the wiring in the boot for reverse lights and stop /indicators as described.
When complete indicators will flash in reverse lights. When selecting reverse both reverse lights will work but indicators will still flash as they had when brakes were used.
Red lenses are now just tail / stop lights.

Offline bb65coupe

• P Plates
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2021, 05:02:35 pm »
Thanks for your reply pgold.

What you are saying makes sense...the instructions i saw did not as it said to unplug the wire highligted yellow in the diagram i attached and swap that to the green wire that goes out from the brake switch.

My understanding there is it would send the current to the neutral/reverse light switch and the brake lights would not turn on unless the car is in reverse!

I have drawn how you explained and how i understand, to cut that wire at the output side of the reverse light switch and connect that to the brake light switch output (marked red), and then connect the reverse light switch output to the old brake light wire that goes to the column (marked green), and then swap the two wires around in the boot to the lamp holders marked in green.

Offline pgold

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Gold
  • Car: 69 sportsroof
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 10:26:13 am »
BB, I have changed your drawing to the way I think it needs to be to work correctly. Let us know how it goes.

Offline bb65coupe

• P Plates
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 11:16:06 am »
Thanks pgold.

Your drawing is similar to mine, but i thought if i do it my way it will also allow the reverse lamps to work with the indicators.

My idea was to cut the wire at the connector leading towards the reverse lamps from the reverse switch, and then connect the end facing the rear towards the brake light output switch and the cable from the reverse light switch back through the stalk so they can still function once the wires are swapped in the rear end. When you are in reverse the power will go through the stalk like the old brake light power did and still light up the globes.

I'll rig up some test wires before i cut anything to make sure it will work as intended.

Offline bb65coupe

• P Plates
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2021, 11:26:56 am »
Looking at your drawing again its exactly as i thought...just better drawn than mine!

Thanks mate

Offline minipete

• Stallion
  • Occasional visitor
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2021, 09:18:20 pm »
my 64.5 has had the blinkers in the reversing lights (with amber lenses) since 1970 when it was converted to RHD.  It's the same as the front with the blinkers below the bumper.