NEW MUSTANG OWNER! - new to forum - '68 FastBack

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: NEW MUSTANG OWNER! - new to forum - '68 FastBack  (Read 22845 times)

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
Things I did wrong.
1 Trusted a Yank
2 Believed my American Mechanics postponed the inspection when the sell postponed the inspection instead, should have got off my bum and gone there to inspect it
3 Allowed myself to be rushed by the deal of a lifetime because I was told the storage time was running out
4 Wired the money instead of staying inside ebay
5 bought the car as a T code (O K with that now though as I never want to sell it)
6 Did not listen to my panel beater brother when he said there was a lot of plastic coming out of the States
7 Believed America would care when the seller forged a signature on the Bill of sale
8 Parted company with my first Mustang, not fully understanding the true value
9 Did not look to see how deep the black hole was before attempting to fill it with money
10Worried too much at all that was wrong, when I should have realized as long as it is a Mustang, and my mate Bob was doing it up, everything would be fine in the end

1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline Macbain

• Stallion
It is horror stories like this ^ that made me do a heap of research, especially that nasty picture of timber in the frame…

Car had a few minor things from a road worthy, which are now fixed and waiting for a second pass. Should be able to get up to drive her back early next week. Waiting on the bank to finalise finance… damn fun police!

My beloved M3 is leaving me tomorrow, it will be emotional to let her go. I will have no soul for a few days… looking forward to driving the Mustang home.

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
That timber was the only reason the car didn't rust any more than in it did in America, lucky it was there or I would have had a real problem on my hands.  :sick:
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
Re: Mustang owner to be - new to forum - looking at this '68 FastBack
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2015, 10:59:03 pm »
Wow! 50K for a car with all that surface rust on it. Makes me real happy with my one.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
That timber was the only reason the car didn't rust any more than in it did in America
How about this one?

s

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
They really know their stuff

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
the responsibility of determining a cars condition lies with the buyer not the seller . . getting a bad car from anywhere including america has nothing to do with the sellers nationality or ethnicity.

i can assure you that there are plenty of shady aussie sellers also.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
the responsibility of determining a cars condition lies with the buyer not the seller

We say it here all the time; caveat emptor.

s

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
We say it here all the time; caveat emptor.

s

yeah, as you know, even people that are honest don't always know everything there is about their car if they bought it used  . . they might have bought a rust bucket that the bondo hasn';t fallen out of yet so they dont know its full of bondo.

some helpful things to do are:

have the seller take a video of the engine idling.

video of the tail pipes as he revs it up.

video of him flooring it from a stop.

look for smoke from the exhaust and listen for odd noises.

take several GOOD photos of the bottom inside edge of the doors.

lower inside corner of the doors.

rear door jamb in the body.

outside of lower trink extension.

rear frame rail mount as shown earlier.

top of shock towers . . the lite blue f/b had a big patch on top.

floor pan.

photo down the side . . you can see by reflections if its straight or wavy this way.

miscellaneous photos.

if just those few underside photos are good, there is little need to be concerned about rust anywhere but few cars pass all those tests these days.

if the buyer says he's too busy or doesn't have a camera, then i am too busy to talk to them anymore.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
this is a hilarious movie about used car dealers . . it is slightly poor quality and the voices are a bit high but is worth putting up with that to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0OIDTSaEOs

Offline littlejohn

• Worked

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/84FiyjAiHrU
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:06:14 pm by littlejohn »

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2015, 08:48:11 pm »
You can always employ one of those companies that will do an inspection for you.
It's still a bit of a risk but with a comprehensive written report and nearly 100 photos, it's much less of a gamble.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
You can always employ one of those companies that will do an inspection for you.
It's still a bit of a risk but with a comprehensive written report and nearly 100 photos, it's much less of a gamble.

I did just that, with a well known company. Still ended up with a car that had different sized drums on either front wheels, a Pokemon quilt used as seat foam and $2k worth of front end work required that was all missed in the inspection!
IMG

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
I did just that, with a well known company. Still ended up with a car that had different sized drums on either front wheels, a Pokemon quilt used as seat foam and $2k worth of front end work required that was all missed in the inspection!

I think most don't go that far into it, just a visit and visual inspection to make sure the car exists, take photos/video for you to view and give you a quick report of the overall condition.

I agree 2k worth of front end damage should've been pointed out.

s

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2015, 06:25:12 pm »
Well I have now had the pleasure of seeing the Fastback in question here at my place and which is now the property of "Macbain" and I can say he certainly did his homework well! A really nice car!
Congrats! :thumb:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Pics dammit!!

s

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2015, 07:39:40 pm »
Congratulations and +1 for pictures please!  :thumb:
Cheers, Ron B

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2015, 11:05:21 pm »
Gee I must have been really lucky, but my report was very extensive with the car put on a hoist and photos taken of every panel.
I still considered it a bit of a risk, but short of jumping on a plane to check every car I was interested in, I didn't have much choice.

Offline Macbain

• Stallion
I am one very happy camper at the moment. Picked up my '68 FastBack GT on Tuesday.

Driven it plenty in the mean time and I am loving the completely new driving experience. No power steering or brakes, heavy clutch (from what I'm used to) and left hand drive have made it fun and a joy to learn with.

The car hasn't missed a beat in getting me places, but I am finding out its little quirks at the moment, which is part of the fun.

Given her a wash today, the weather finally held out long enough to let me do so. I'll be continuing the detailing this week. Clay bar, hand polish and wax in the coming days.

Thought I would be swapping out the fat 275's on the back, but they have grown on me and I have decided to keep them. The car wouldn't look as fat without them.

Took the fog lights out, for a cleaner front end look.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Re: NEW MUSTANG OWNER! - new to forum - '68 FastBack
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2015, 09:41:26 pm »
Thanks for showing it to Tim and I, Steve. You have a really nice 68 F/B Pony there. We have quite a herd here around The Latrobe Valley and Shire of Wellington. Look forward to a cruise together in the near future. You gunna roll those rear guards for a bit more clearance?
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2015, 09:13:51 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: looks great , well done!
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline littlejohn

• Worked
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2015, 10:57:52 am »
That looks brilliant, well done👍
Big rubber looks sweeet !!

May i ask , How did you get club plates with such a low number?
I got mine in January and mine start with a 5 ,
I sit waiting in hope they rin out of numbers
So they can let us use personalised plates :lmao:
Now i feel my hopes are defeated !! Hahahaha
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:59:59 am by littlejohn »

Offline Sundance Kid

• Thoroughbred
  • Wtd time machine ..... in good working order
  • Name: Tony
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2015, 02:58:11 pm »
Looks nice . Enjoy . I had a 67 fast back a few years ago , their a great shape with good lines . Cheers tony
1970 boss 302 mustang

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2015, 07:37:12 pm »
Another Great68! Congrats and welcome to the brotherhood!