Canada to Oz - I need your help to bring my Stang with

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Canada to Oz - I need your help to bring my Stang with  (Read 18571 times)

Offline Tristang

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Tristan
Re: Canada to Oz - I need your help to bring my Stang with
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 01:08:36 am »
Are you coming over permanently or just a for a few years?  I know we have a member here who has come over from the states and is working for Dept of Defence for I think 3 years

Intention is permanent but we are initially coming on 457 visa's (4 years). He was likely able to because of military component but if you wanted to put me in touch with him, or you find out how he did it maybe there is something I can do??????

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 07:30:20 am »
Email the guy off that add clearly he has found a way around it.
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 09:25:11 am »
I think you will find the clue to the 2007 in that ad is where is says NT rego.
Its a different set of rules in the Northern Territory again.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 09:56:18 am »
Some states are different but most are 30 years . Has far has I know NT is 30 years .  I just wouldn't bother bringing the car over even if you could drive it LHD for the 4 years ,then what take it back with you .  Even if you sold it here when you are finished with it you won't get much because its LHD and going to cost the buyer 35 + to convert . Sell it before you come and either buy a car here or buy a classic mustang before you come over and drive it here then sell it when you leave .  In any case you will still need to buy a Aussie car for a daily driver .

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 02:18:03 pm »
Every State has different laws to each other, it's pointless talking about what is in Victoria and may be in NSW for instance.

Tristang I'd suggest you call the department and speak with them directly, they are helpful and it's the only way you'll get a proper answer. Although everyone on the forum is trying to be helpful there's a lot of guessing and misinformation going on.

Registration/licensing is different to importation so that'll be your next inquiry, you're dealing with State laws then, not uniform Federal laws as with importing.

Club registration/concessional licensing also varies greatly from State to State so again it's pointless discussing what is the case somewhere outside of NSW.

For the record you definitely do not have to export a car to Australia from Canada via the States, it's a lot longer, more complicated and expensive to do it that way but you've already got your shipping sorted anyway.

Also, the CAD is about par with or slightly below the AUD so the suggestion that was made that you could buy something else in Canada to bring over with you and make money isn't a good idea in my opinion, once you add shipping costs and taxes you've gone backwards. 

Very best of luck, I hope you find a way of bringing your car over.
Rick

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 03:25:56 pm »
Also, the CAD is about par with or slightly below the AUD so the suggestion that was made that you could buy something else in Canada to bring over with you and make money isn't a good idea in my opinion

My suggestion wasn't to 'make money'. 

It works out cheaper for him to purchase in Canada with CAD than for him to to come to Australia and then purchase a car in the USA/Canada from Australia with AUD; that is what I was getting at.

s
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:27:04 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline Tristang

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 04:19:48 pm »
Easy answer, confirmed through state and national government calls. I can import left hand drive vehicle no problem at a federal level (Australian Government), I would be exempt from some portions of the ADR simple because I have owned the vehicle for a period of 12 months.

BUT in NSW even though the vihicle is exempt from the ADR on a federal level they still require the Vehicle be converted to a RHD.

No dice, unless of course I park it for the next 21 years or move to state that allows LHD. 

I just gained a ton of space in my container.  :cry: :cry:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 04:30:14 pm »
I just gained a ton of space in my container.  :cry: :cry:

Oh well, things have a way of working out; it may not be the Mustang you currently own but if you really want to drive one in Aus., you can make it happen one way or another.

s

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 04:34:15 pm »
Quick go buy a classic mustang ,and a fastback for that matter .  LHD   no problems ,drive it then when you are leaving sell it .  You will still need an import approval .

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 04:38:39 pm »
^ That's what I would do, you may get a good trade on yours.

s

Offline Tristang

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 04:57:20 pm »
Oh trust me, I am burning up the Internet right now trying to find one I like to fill that void in the container  :burnout:

It's still winter here so there isn't much in my market (most are like me it sits in the garage for 8 months) and you don't fair well selling summer cars at this cold time of the year, heck this is when I bought my car because I got a steal.

Cheers guys!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 05:03:40 pm »
Oh trust me, I am burning up the Internet right now trying to find one I like to fill that void in the container

Contact Matt from Shermatt, he's likely to know of one.

s

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 08:21:18 pm »
A little of topic here but someone may know.

So say if I was to buy that lhd car currently regestred in Vic would that mean I would now have to convert it in Qld??? it has that yellow stamp on the engine bay if any one caught it. Just intresting that's all.
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 09:50:33 pm »

Wow thanks for all the great responses. Your all right there is no way it's worth a 35k investment to convert to RHD.

I do like the prospect of a loophole to bring over as personal import with our relocation so I will do some digging on that. I'm sure hoping the comments from ponyride onward turn out to have some merrit, it'scertainly worth me diggin into.

BTW what are club plates? 

It won't be much of a fairy tale in OZ if I can't bring my Stang  :cry:

Tristang

Not sure if its been answered yet or not but I dont have time to read every page...just gonna break it down real quick for ya

Unless you are an Ozzy and have owned that car for 12 months....its not deemed a personal import....even if your military ozzy or US....I cant see one loop hole here unless you have $35,000 and convert to RHD

Running the car through the border and shipping out of the US is a massive head ache but its achievable

There will be NO WAY you can get club reg or whatever reg as there is no way you will be able to get an import approval for it unless you go with the RHD option to get your approval....then...that said, the guy that helps you get the import approval to convert to RHD will WANT THE JOB....getting a RAWS to write you a letter just so you can bring it in isnt going to happen

They write you that RHD letter....they want the $35,000 job....its that simple

personally, I would either sell it, leave it with a family member or import it as a rally race car if it means that much to you (that means it can NEVER be registered on Australian roads)

Hope that clears up some of your questions mate

Good luck with the move

Matt

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 10:03:07 pm »
Tristang

Not sure what your budget is but I have a really nice 65 HiPo Cali K code that Ive just finished...factory 4 speed, numbers matching but has a few minor mods

Currently listed on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281618196731?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Already has an Australian Import approval and ready to go

Matt

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 12:18:19 pm »
Matt's advice is spot on.
Yep, the various suggestions that you buy an older car & bring it with you have merit. Just make sure you get yourself a really good one, not some rust-impregnated polished turd, or you'll end up with headaches getting a roadworthy certificate for it. Then sell it on if you don't end up staying here long term.
And/or, what about the new 2015 Mustang? Is to be available here towards the end of the year, & brand new factory RHD too so no 35-40K conversion costs.....High 50's according to other threads on this forum.
Both would be nice.....