Engine dies / won't stay running.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Engine dies / won't stay running.  (Read 37951 times)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Engine dies / won't stay running.
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2015, 06:19:29 am »
Shaun that's the way I have always done the points , half the plug gap . Plug gap was always 35 so points around 16 to 18 .  I know the original book specs  say more and that's what Barnett is quoting is something like 25 but every time I tried it at that it had less power at higher revs ,like over 4000 rpm . I mucked around with mine not long ago and found 16 to 18 worked the best .

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2015, 07:33:40 am »
Shaun that's the way I have always done the points , half the plug gap . Plug gap was always 35 so points around 16 to 18 .  I know the original book specs  say more and that's what Barnett is quoting is something like 25 but every time I tried it at that it had less power at higher revs ,like over 4000 rpm . I mucked around with mine not long ago and found 16 to 18 worked the best .

are you talking about a v8 or a 6 cylinder?

6 cylinders run just fine with .027 . . if the ignition system is too weak to make it run at .027 then the ignition system is weak and it should be fixed . . the points should not be adjusted to match a weak ignition system.

yes i know its odd that a 6 is .027 and an 8 is .017 but thats the way they designed them . . the reason is because the points cam on a 6 cylinder has linger sides then the one on an 8 cylinder so if you ran the same point gap on a 6 as the 8 uses, the dwell time would be much longer . . the most accurate way to set points is by the dwell time but few people do this.

yes, i know that i know way too much about 6 cylinders and yes i am ashamed of it but it was a necessary evil . . we all have our crosses to bear.  :lmao:

as far as making the points half the plug gap . . i dont know why some people do this and i am certainly not an ignition expert but what happens is the wider point gap reduces the charging time of the coil so it produces a weaker spark . . the wider point gap requires a higher voltage to jump the gap so it seems like defeating the purpose.

if you have a high voltage ignition, you can run a wider gap on your plug, this burns more of the fuel or what ever but if you then widen your point gap ti be half of the plug gap, you have weakened the voltage.

some of the electronic pick ups increase the dwell which increases the coil charging time so it has more voltage . . pertronix is one if them.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:06:22 am by barnett468 »

Offline Ford Compact 1963

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2015, 08:48:16 am »
Again I bring up re bad earthing ....

Correct me if wrong

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2015, 09:12:40 am »
Dont be ashamed about knowing about 6 cyl cars, Australia is the land of straight 6's most cars here were never V8's they were all 6's GM Torana XU1's were triple carb 6 they rallied and race against HOs and beat them, Every family car my dad ever had was a 6, in real terms V8s were kind of rare and special, here in the 60-70's Ford even stopped selling them for a while in the 80's, Gm kept them though.
This car is running an Australian Falcon Bosch distributor, the gap should be 25, but like I said unless the dissy shaft is totally stuffed and flopping around to the point were the they don't open this wont be the issue. I'd still swap them and the condenser, could even be  a weak fuel pump, blocked filter etc, or just a poor connection/short somewhere. Only guessing without the car here, wont be a big issue  thats for sure. No point stabbing in the dark any further, but it wont be hard to fix.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2015, 09:16:14 am »
Again I bring up re bad earthing ....

Again i bring up that supposed to be out trying to find a friendly engine builder whom will stroke it for you.  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2015, 09:25:55 am »
Dont be ashamed about knowing about 6 cyl cars, Australia is the land of straight 6's most cars here were never V8's they were all 6's GM Torana XU1's were triple carb 6 they rallied and race against HOs and beat them, Every family car my dad ever had was a 6, in real terms V8s were kind of rare and special, here in the 60-70's Ford even stopped selling them for a while in the 80's, Gm kept them though.
This car is running an Australian Falcon Bosch distributor, the gap should be 25, but like I said unless the dissy shaft is totally stuffed and flopping around to the point were the they don't open this wont be the issue. I'd still swap them and the condenser, could even be  a weak fuel pump, blocked filter etc, or just a poor connection/short somewhere. Only guessing without the car here, wont be a big issue  thats for sure. No point stabbing in the dark any further, but it wont be hard to fix.

yes, i saw some of your fancy cross flow stuff and a 1,300 hp aussie 6 in a mustang on youtube, lol.

yes the small point gap "should" not cause this type of prob unless the coil is so marginal that the added dwell is overheating it to the point of failure but one would not expect it to restart again right away like it does.

my quick fuel squirt test should determine if it is simply running out of gas so that will eliminate one big potential problem.

the cooling of the condenser and coil should determine if those are the prob and all these are easy tests for anyone to do so hopefully he funds the prop soon.

1300 hp 6 cyl mustang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmtVyfC_bBo

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:29:04 am by barnett468 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2015, 09:29:38 am »
Again i bring up that supposed to be out trying to find a friendly engine builder whom will stroke it for you.  :lmao:

Thats right, and remember it's not a V12 Jag, or anything difficult  like that, its just a garden variety  old windsor its a no brainer, dont stress about it just pay the money and it will be done. I've  got 3 lined you in the shed now to do, and they are a bit flasher and a whole lot faster then this one.

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2015, 09:32:33 am »
Build mine Sean

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2015, 09:33:31 am »
If you were local I would no trouble.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2015, 09:41:07 am »
ford compact, i suggest you move then.  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2015, 09:42:40 am »
...soon before shaun has a lawn bowling accident.  :lmao:

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2015, 09:46:21 am »
...soon before shaun has a lawn bowling accident.  :lmao:
[/quote
Haha

I'll ship The engine

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2015, 09:48:22 am »
It's no joke. I'm always X-Raying real old guys with wrenched shoulders from lawn bowls. I guess Shaun is no different.  :grin:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2015, 10:06:42 am »
Guys I'm not quite that old yet.  I still go surfing often as I can and some times ride and run with my youngest daughter that does Triathlons,  only time I go to the bowls club is for a Schooner and a Counter meal.  I do have  a crook shoulder though as it happens. Give me 10 years and I'll retire to Pottsville beach  Cabarita or  Kingscliff , then I'll hang out at the bowls club a bit more often maybe :cheers: and go surfing a little more, like everyday hopefully

Cabba below

http://im-3.msw.ms/photoLab/26890.jpg

Here is the Potty beach bowls club, this will be the hang out, my dad used to live across the road
http://www.pottsvillebeachsports.com/whats-on-at-pottsville-beach-sports/

Or maybe here the Cabba beach bar.

http://www.pubsandclubs.com.au/venue/cabarita-beach-bar-&-grill/3181
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:11:47 am by shaunp »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2015, 10:18:38 am »
It's no joke. I'm always X-Raying real old guys with wrenched shoulders from lawn bowls. I guess Shaun is no different.  :grin:

well since most of them are geriatrics, id be more concerned about them passing out from heat stroke or a heart attack.

i also think its nice of the clubs to supply the players with name tags for their hats so the players dome forget who they are.  :lmao:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:27:18 am by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2015, 10:30:56 am »
holy crap...where do i sign up?

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2015, 10:31:19 am »
Moe, that gives ME palpitations!   :omg:      I wonder what the old guy in Barnett's pic is listening to?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2015, 10:34:33 am »
Moe, that gives ME palpitations!   :omg:

told ya they might die of a heart attack.  :lmao:

I wonder what the old guy in Barnett's pic is listening to?

ozzie osbourne and megadeath

thsats the new lawn bowl combination ball with am/fm radio.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:36:44 am by barnett468 »

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2015, 10:35:46 am »
Yeah, but I'm not old, I'm only 58!

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2015, 10:38:02 am »
Yeah, but I'm not old, I'm only 58!

yeah, me too and that almost gave me a stroke too.

if she was at a club and i didnt have a heart attack, the wife would be me to death anyway so the end result would still be the same.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:40:28 am by barnett468 »

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2015, 10:40:14 am »
OH, well, I guess it's time to sign up for drooling and incontinence class!  :nopity:  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2015, 10:41:47 am »
OH, well, I guess it's time to sign up for drooling and incontinence class!  :nopity:  :lmao:

i have the number if you need it . . 1-800 depends.  :thud:

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2015, 10:42:48 am »
 :lmao: See you there, classmate!

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2015, 11:00:24 am »
Where do I sign up too ill bring my monster 260!! She will be impressed then I'll let her play with my bowling balls  :grin:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2015, 11:05:16 am »
Where do I sign up too ill bring my monster 260!! She will be impressed then I'll let her play with my bowling balls  :grin:
maybe she'll stroke your 260 . . nobody else seems to want to.

OMG guys...please stop it.