Borgeson power steering kit VS Electric ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Borgeson power steering kit VS Electric ?  (Read 13984 times)

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: Borgeson power steering kit VS Electric ?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 07:08:17 pm »
I don't think it's over complicating things at all. It's just different, and it hasn't been done too often yet…well not in Australia anyway.
I also don't think it's a huge job to fit and engineer it. Like I said it's actually a pretty simple fit if you have the tools. Technically you have to engineer the borgeson kit anyway as you are modifying the steering. So no difference there. Plus you get rid of the hydraulic lines and pump, and it's pretty cheap.
Anyway we will see how mine goes before I talk too much and have to eat these words. :smile01:

Offline Juanball mustang

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 08:36:58 pm »
I think the major downside is , when fitting to a older car you can't have computer controlled variability . By that I mean in the factory application as you speed up the ECU (cars computer) tells the electric steering to not be so severe , so on the open at 110 kph it's not the same as if you were in woollies car park. A mate bought electric column from the wreckers out of a rebadged Aussie Opel. $300 from memory, then got a manual control box from the UK which with 3 settings to replicate the ECU. Bit of spline machining and hey presto . Not on the road yet thought. Reckon the manual setting would be a pain / bordering on dangerous if you forgot to change from car park mode when avoiding a rabbit at 110 kph!!
I'll stick to Arthur Bishops design.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 09:05:14 pm »
I think the major downside is , when fitting to a older car you can't have computer controlled variability . By that I mean in the factory application as you speed up the ECU (cars computer) tells the electric steering to not be so severe , so on the open at 110 kph it's not the same as if you were in woollies car park. A mate bought electric column from the wreckers out of a rebadged Aussie Opel. $300 from memory, then got a manual control box from the UK which with 3 settings to replicate the ECU. Bit of spline machining and hey presto . Not on the road yet thought. Reckon the manual setting would be a pain / bordering on dangerous if you forgot to change from car park mode when avoiding a rabbit at 110 kph!!

That's right, you know back in the day Bendix did a similar thing with Falcon/Holden power steer boxes simply by machining the worm in the box differently to change the ratio from centre to extreme lock giving a mechanical variable ratio. from 11:1-20:1 and a torsion bar input to give no power assist for a few degrees either side of straight a head. But me I'm living in the past that's why I have an old mustang , old Jags and I drive an old V8 Discovery 4x4 as a daily drive etc, anyone can have a new car just go down to the Hyundai dealer and get 2% finance deal.  I don't get the trying to make an old car drive like a new one thing but that just me I want them to be a little scary that's the fun, I'm yet to drive a better car then a manual Jag XJS V12. But then I haven't driven a new Jags I guess

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 09:13:45 pm »
I thought this too. And there is work being done in the states on a variable controller that has a VSS input to it.
However, from all reports from the guys that have it installed over the pond, none of them have to constantly adjust it. It's not that sensitive. They have the controller set around 1/2, and apparently it's easy in the carpark and not light not the freeway

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 08:10:52 am »
Check my previous input. My electric pump puts out 1/2 of it's full power using a light globe in the ECU circuit.It's like driving a constant power unit that doesn't get lighter as you get faster. I get good road feel and feedback at all speeds with enough power at parking speeds to make it easy to maneuver.

Offline Juanball mustang

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 08:38:52 am »
Hey Ron ,by electric pump, do you mean a pump that still pumps hydraulic fluid but is electrically run rather than belt driven. Or a electrically driven differential type thing that is grafted into your steering column under the dash.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:34 am »
Yeah his system is an electric pump with a hydraulic system, not full electric power assist.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 11:55:55 am »
Husky is correct. That way itcan go back to a borgeson pump later if I choose.