SOLD OUT!!!!!! FOR SALE 64 - 73 MUSTANG LED BULBS PARKING TURN SIGNAL BI COLOUR

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: SOLD OUT!!!!!! FOR SALE 64 - 73 MUSTANG LED BULBS PARKING TURN SIGNAL BI COLOUR  (Read 16768 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Re: 64 - 73 MUSTANG LED BULBS PARKING TURN SIGNAL BI COLOUR
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 08:58:44 am »
changers white, amber

*changes 

;)

Just curious how the bulb knows when to change from white to amber for the blinker; a regular bulb is either on or off.
You say you don't have to modify any wiring at all?

Parkers are normally in the headlights aren't they

This feature came in after a certain year; if you recall the HQ Holden had parkers in the bumper bar.

s
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:11:09 am by StephenSLR »

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 09:54:33 am »
Just curious how the bulb knows when to change from white to amber for the blinker; a regular bulb is either on or off.

I'd say that amber takes precedence over white, i.e. if there is 12V only on the contact that produces white light, then that's what you get. If there's 12V on the amber contact as well, the colour would change from white to amber - or at least that's how I think it would work...

The interesting part is while blinking amber, the voltage on the amber contact would be going on and off regularly to create the blink function.  If the white contact is also energised at the same time, there must be some smarts in the bulb to wait a second or so before changing back to white light again to see if the blinking cycle is complete.  Very clever!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:01:17 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 11:10:58 am »

;)

This feature came in after a certain year; if you recall the HQ Holden had parkers in the bumper bar.

s
Stephen
i've had this bulbs custom made to suit mustangs.
 i think they work correct me if i'm wrong the lower wattage of the amber or white. for example the film on the incandescent bulb one is bigger then the other. which requires more and less current. 

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 11:18:21 am »
I'd say that amber takes precedence over white, i.e. if there is 12V only on the contact that produces white light, then that's what you get. If there's 12V on the amber contact as well, the colour would change from white to amber - or at least that's how I think it would work...

The interesting part is while blinking amber, the voltage on the amber contact would be going on and off regularly to create the blink function.  If the white contact is also energised at the same time, there must be some smarts in the bulb to wait a second or so before changing back to white light again to see if the blinking cycle is complete.  Very clever!

Brain
i've tried other bulbs and the biggest problem was that the white would stay on and drown out the amber. you could not see the amber over the white cause it would stay on all the time if you had your parking lights on like i do with the halo lights

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Gonads
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 11:22:54 am »
*changes 

;)

s

Didn't know that was the case with HQ either mate, never owned one before.

Cheers

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 11:33:18 am »
Didn't know that was the case with HQ either mate, never owned one before.

Yeah, quite a few people have been caught out when they convert to H4 lamps. They have to make sure to get the ones with the clear window for the parking lights if their car has that feature.

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 11:37:42 am »
correct me if i'm wrong the lower wattage of the amber or white. for example the filament on the incandescent bulb one is bigger then the other. which requires more and less current.

Ah, I didn't know the bulbs had twin filaments; like a brake light?

Do you have to have white blinker lenses or does the white light shine so bright it fades out the colour?

A good idea but not sure if I want white lenses; I know they were issued on some export Mustangs to meet the standards of some countries but in the USA they were all amber I think.

s

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 12:55:45 pm »
Ah, I didn't know the bulbs had twin filaments; like a brake light?

They are type 1157 bulbs, so yes they should have twin filaments just like the brake lights.

Do you have to have white blinker lenses or does the white light shine so bright it fades out the colour?

You would need clear lenses for the white light from the LED to work.  There's some weird phenomenon with LEDs where the light colour needs to match the lens colour (for coloured lenses) to produce good light output. E.g. if you put a white LED bulb behind a red tail light lens you get a very anemic orangish coloured light.  You can't get white light through an amber coloured lens.

A good idea but not sure if I want white lenses; I know they were issued on some export Mustangs to meet the standards of some countries but in the USA they were all amber I think.

My freshly imported '69 Mach 1 has FoMoCo clear front parking/indicator lenses with amber bulbs.  A check on the original Ford bulb part number reveals 1157A ('A' denotes amber) so it makes sense they would have fitted clear lenses as standard equipment.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 01:04:55 pm »
'68 cars also have clear lens and amber bulbs in front parker/indicators.  :smile01:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 01:06:06 pm »
There's some weird phenomenon with LEDs where the light colour needs to match the lens colour (for coloured lenses) to produce good light output.

Yes I've seen this in my Torana dash, I have white LEDs behind the red handbrake and battery lenses; the white light is so intense that the red lenses shine pink; a colour result from mixing white and red.

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 01:11:24 pm »

^ at the '64 World's Fair with amber lenses.

According to the Mustang Club of America's  64.5-66  rule book:
#2 Exterior:
G. Parking, Tail, Back-Up, Running and Tag Lights: Original design for year. "FoMoCo" script on all lenses.
Back-up light to body rubber gasket, black.
64½ - front parking light inner retainer cups must be full circle not slotted.
Tag light wire must have braided black tar cover.
Parking light wiring boots must be black.
Export models may use clear parking lens instead of amber

My freshly imported '69 Mach 1 has FoMoCo clear front parking/indicator lenses with amber bulbs.
67-8 FoMoCo Cougar lenses were also white and some would fit these to Mustangs; yes you need an amber lens in this configuration.

s
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:17:49 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 03:55:08 pm »
found this
notice the grill

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Gonads
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2015, 04:13:11 pm »
Not a bad looking grille. I think I am going to upgrade to something like the horizontal bar grille.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2015, 04:13:23 pm »
If your Mustang was imported b.i.t.d. they'd've had white lenses to suit our regulation, right?

s
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:55:49 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2015, 04:24:19 pm »
Not a bad looking grille. I think I am going to upgrade to something like the horizontal bar grille.

Hmm, not sure what happened with yours, perhaps the PO painted over the horizontal chrome strips?

s

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 02:14:11 pm »
Hi All
relisted

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 12:08:22 am »
The 'older' type of dual colour LED bulb (30 x white SMD + 30 x amber SMD = 60 SMD total) is still available at a fraction of the cost of the newer technology. Light output is most likely inferior due to having only half the number of emitters for each colour. Won't mention any links here out of respect for the OP...

Update: I bought some of the cheapy bi-colour LED bulbs on Ebay for $5 a pair just for fun.  Pretty much as expected, the white light stays on when the amber is activated rendering it pretty much useless as a turn signal.  Other pitfalls are the amber light output is quite poor and the colours are wired up incorrectly for Mustang use: turn signal is connected to the white light and parker to amber.

So all in all, don't waste your time with the cheapies and buy some of the good ones from Jeff!  :thumb:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 06:39:42 am »
Update: I bought some of the cheapy bi-colour LED bulbs on Ebay for $5 a pair just for fun.  Pretty much as expected, the white light stays on when the amber is activated rendering it pretty much useless as a turn signal.  Other pitfalls are the amber light output is quite poor and the colours are wired up incorrectly for Mustang use: turn signal is connected to the white light and parker to amber.

So all in all, don't waste your time with the cheapies and buy some of the good ones from Jeff!  :thumb:
Brain
Thanks for the glowing feedback. yes i have been there and done that too.

As i've posted before i have put a lot of R&D into this product.
everyone who has bought from me has been blown away with the brightness of both amber and white.
 :cheers:

jeff

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
Hi All
only 9 pairs of my great bulbs left and i wont be making any more. so if you want the best bulbs on the market i suggest you hurry up.
jeff

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
Hi All
Only 7 pair of my LED parking lights, turn signal bulbs left.

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
Hi All
Notice to everyone i only have 2 pair left and will not be reordering this item. So if you want the best bulbs on the market
you better hurry up.
thanks to all who have bought over the past few months and i hope you enjoy the bulbs.
thanks
jeff
 :burnout:

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
ONE PAIR LEFT THAT IS ALL

Offline RuffCoupe

• Worked
  • I'm new here
I KNOW  :grin:

Cheers

John

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
geoff ill take em, will give you a call as i will be heading thru your way this week mate
PM sent
griff
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:57:19 pm by griff »
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 09:01:20 pm »
aspro, if youre not too concerned about modding your reverse light lampholders, i unpicked mine and replaced them with Narva bases to suit the appropriate pin configuration

Is this easy to do?

s