'Plasma' red LED tail light bulbs

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 'Plasma' red LED tail light bulbs  (Read 21046 times)

Offline mert

• Supercharged
Re: 'Plasma' red LED tail light bulbs
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 03:34:47 pm »
Came to the conclusion much of it is the wiring.  On the EXP the new Metal Alloy wiring, chrome spray bomb buckets and stock bulbs were surprisingly bright.  (The sequential action was also fun...)

8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 12:52:58 pm »
I just bought some of these based on BAC's recommendation (thanks BAC!).

Took some photo's for comparison (taken in daylight near the open shed door, cloudy day). I estimate both the running lights and the brake/flasher lights to be twice the brightness of the standard globes. As BAC said, the distinction between running lights and brake/flasher light is excellent.

One of the things that concerned me with the factory reds was the ominous feeling that cars behind couldn't see them operate very well when the sun is shining on them from the rear....with these new lamps I will feel a lot safer.

No change to the wiring or flasher unit is necessary, just plug them straight in and they will work.

Running lights - plasma on the left and standard globe on the right. The difference in much more noticeable in person than it is in the photo.

Brake/flasher light - plasma on the left and standard globe on the right. One thing to note, the flasher light is instantaneous on and off, as opposed to the lazy ramp up and ramp down of the standard globe - I thought that I wouldn't like the "electronic sharpness" of the on/off function, but after seeing how crisp and clear the plasma's work now I wouldn't have it any other way.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:54:52 pm by Sprint72 »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 01:20:02 pm »
One thing to note: the flasher light is instantaneous on and off, as opposed to the lazy ramp up and ramp down of the standard globe

This may be an issue for legality. I believe that the rules state that both brake lights have to be on at all times when braking; with the incandescents, the fade never quite switches the brake light off before the next pulse kicks in. With LED you get complete off between pulses.

My suggestion; if you're ever sitting still indicating in front of cops in the daytime; flip on your parkers; the blinker will then not switch completely off. ;)

A trick to play on friends; put on your parkers (I guess it works when they're off too) flick on a blinker and depress your brake pedal every time the blinker switches off. From behind they'll see left and right blinker taking turns going on and off opposing each other; they won't know what the hell's going on. lol

s

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 01:40:25 pm »

My suggestion; if you're ever sitting still indicating in front of cops in the daytime; flip on your parkers; the blinker will then not switch completely off. ;)

Thanks for the tip!

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 02:08:42 pm »
This may be an issue for legality. I believe that the rules state that both brake lights have to be on at all times when braking; with the incandescents, the fade never quite switches the brake light off before the next pulse kicks in. With LED you get complete off between pulses.

I suspect such rules weren't designed to take account of US cars that use the tail lights for the turn signals. 

Regardless, I would argue it's safer to have a distinct on/off flash than ramp up/ramp down and when it comes down to safety vs. legality it's no contest as far as I'm concerned...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:13:36 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 04:15:56 pm »
I suspect such rules weren't designed to take account of US cars that use the tail lights for the turn signals. 

Regardless, I would argue it's safer to have a distinct on/off flash than ramp up/ramp down and when it comes down to safety vs. legality it's no contest as far as I'm concerned...

I had to get a VASS engineer cert for my car to get i registered; the engineer passed it with the factory reds as complying with the rules based on date of vehicle manufacture. But it is a grey area with multiple interpretations...

Agree that the distinct on/off flash is much safer. I also make an effort to let my indicator flash three or four times before applying the brake just to give the person behind a bit more time for it to sink in that I'm indicating a turn and not just exhibiting a faulty tail light.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 04:21:47 pm »
I also make an effort to let my indicator flash three or four times before applying the brake just to give the person behind a bit more time for it to sink in that I'm indicating a turn and not just exhibiting a faulty tail light.

I tend to start to slow down earlier so the person behind either slows down as well or changes lanes. Personally I don't believe the myth of crashing due to red blinkers.  When you take a turn you always first slow down or come to a complete stop. People still crash into cars with orange blinkers; rear enders being one of the most common accidents and when they see a US car they'll use red blinkers as an excuse for their negligence.

s

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 10:40:08 am »
I noticed on the website they say the bulbs suit 67 onwards but going on the pics you guys have posted they will fit a 66 with no problem?

Looking at a set of these for my 66

Cheers

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 10:54:44 am »
I noticed on the website they say the bulbs suit 67 onwards but going on the pics you guys have posted they will fit a 66 with no problem?

I have them in my 65; the bulbs suit 1157 sockets.

I've contacted them letting them know that these do fit 65 Mustangs and any other car with 1157 sockets.

They should fit yours no problem.

s

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 04:29:45 pm »
I have them in my 65; the bulbs suit 1157 sockets.

I've contacted them letting them know that these do fit 65 Mustangs and any other car with 1157 sockets.

They should fit yours no problem.

s

Scott66 i agree with StephenSLR,i use them in my 65 without ant problems...They work brilliant compared to any other Led on the market...I have tried and tested numerous different types...

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 04:33:55 pm »
Thanks guys,

I will get to and order some in - they do look the part for sure. :thumb:

Cheers

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2015, 03:26:06 pm »
I was stopped and sitting at a set of red lights in the right lane indicating to turn right. I could see a queue of cars forming in the left lane; they either wanted to go straight or turn left and I could see them switching into the left lane from many cars back.

There was definitely no mistaking it; they all knew I was intending to turn right and could clearly see it well in advance. Personally I think the excuse that Aus. drivers can't recognise a red blinker turn signal is crap.

s

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 03:35:19 pm »
I was stopped and sitting at a set of red lights in the right lane indicating to turn right. I could see a queue of cars forming in the left lane; they either wanted to go straight or turn left and I could see them switching into the left lane from many cars back.

There was definitely no mistaking it; they all knew I was intending to turn right and could clearly see it well in advance. Personally I think the excuse that Aus. drivers can't recognise a red blinker turn signal is crap.

s

:agree: Stephen

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 10:15:50 am »
My Plasma LED's finally arrived :pepper:

Fitted them last night and the difference is amazing - super bright now and a very simple fit.

Thanks for the heads up on these guys :cheers:

The light on the left in the pics is the plasma and the standard bulb is on the right.

Interestingly one of the bulbs I pulled out looked like an original bulb - was even stamped USA on the body! You don't see that very often now.

Cheers

Offline Murkyrat

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 11:43:20 am »
Just replaced rear tail lights with Plasma red LED lamps. Amazing amount of difference. Thanks Scott for putting me onto these.

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2015, 03:21:44 pm »
Looks great Doug - really happy with mine too :thumb:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 07:00:20 am »
I followed Birdman at dusk after the meet at Parramatta.  His tail lights shine brighter than most of the cars that were on the road beside him; there were only a few cars that I could say were just as bright.

:thumb:

s

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2016, 06:30:16 pm »
Follow up:
As you guys know, these work great but are not cheap (~$30 USD a pair lat time I looked). After much searching, I've finally tracked down what I reckon is the identical product at a much cheaper price.

PM me if you want the details...  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:32:08 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian