New to the Forum

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Revzed

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Dave Marrett
New to the Forum
« on: November 28, 2014, 05:17:04 pm »
Hi folks,Thanks for this Forum, seems to be a lot of knowledge deposited here.  I'm a confessed car-oholic and after living between Melbourne and the USA for the last 10 years have enjoyed owning several cars in both countries.  A close friend in Florida had just let me know that he has his 1971 Mach 1 Mustang convertible for sale and has offered it to me before he puts it on the general market.  I've done some of the preliminary investigation of what I have to do to import the vehicle, I have one price for shipping - but for the life of me I can't seem to find much info on what I have to do once it lands at the docks in Melbourne.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this, do I need to pay the money to have a customs clearance person handle it or is it something I can do myself.

As my first post, I want to respectfully thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Cheers,
Rev. 
Heres some pics of a few of my previous cars! http://www.livingbeyondsunday.org/my-cars.html

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:05:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Talk to Shermatt; Matt and Sheri import cars all day long, so to speak; Matt's an Aussie living in Florida too.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,7524.msg251725.html#msg251725

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shermatt-America/730025900380692?fref=ts

s

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:11:32 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline malscar

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:18:51 pm »
Hi Dave and welcome.

As Stephen has advised, look at contacting someone like Matt or Sheri at Shermatt.

Here are some links for some light reading as well

Customs - importing vehicles

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp

Dept of Infrastructure who you go to to get approval to import the vehicle BEFORE you ship the car

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/

Seeing as you are in Victoria, RTA requirements

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/new-registration/register-an-imported-vehicle

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:14:40 pm »
I just love the car pics Rev,so did you leave them behind or are they also coming over ? :thumb:

Offline Revzed

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 08:25:56 pm »
My Zeds were here in Oz which I sold before going OS, the Camaro and Corvette I sold before I returned to Oz (Had to return to attend to my sick son)  and remain my BIG regrets!  So i'm starting from scratch...again! :cry:

Offline Camaro91

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW member 302 ... since 2001
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 08:45:36 pm »
Nought wrong with a Camaro or 'vette  :grin:

Welcome to the forum too.

Good luck with the importation.  Main thing is to deal with someone who is happy to give you references - and speak to those references, may save a lot of heartache.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 09:09:35 pm »
Welcome to the forum Dave

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 09:22:51 pm »
On the car itself that you wish to import Dave, just to be clear, there is no such thing as a ’71 Mach 1 convertible. Mach 1s only ever came in the fastback body style from ’69 to ’73 with a standard V8.  Some restorers want to make convertibles more interesting and add Mach 1 stripes and spoilers, sometimes add a Mach1 sports interior and give the false impression it’s a Mach 1 apparently from the factory.  Never was the case.  But if you like a Mach 1’s look on a convertible and you’re aware that’s what it is, then by all means go for it.  Can’t beat a Mach 1’s look on a Mustang.

Here’s just such a car currently for sale on eBay but the seller knows what it is and states this ‘vert has a Mach 1 look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Classic-convertible-with-Mach-1-trim-in-a-great-colors-and-great-options-for-fun-/171556919051?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27f196d70b&item=171556919051&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:02:58 pm »
just to be clear, there is no such thing as a ’71 Mach 1 convertible. Mach 1s only ever came in the fastback body style from ’69 to ’73 with a standard V8.  Some restorers want to make convertibles more interesting and add Mach 1 stripes and spoilers, sometimes add a Mach1 sports interior and give the false impression it’s a Mach 1 apparently from the factory.

You just reminded me of those back in the 80's that would mock up XC sedans, utes and even station wagons to look like Ford Cobras.

s
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:05:30 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline Revzed

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 07:59:01 am »
Thanks Robster - Yep, It's a friend of mine and he confirms that it has been made to look like Mach 1 in style - be interested in your thoughts; it is a clean Florida car, has very small minor rust bubbles on the doglegs, floors, chassis are clean, runs strong (I drove it when I was there last week!) interior needs some work - he's looking for $9500 US then it will cost me about 4K to clear it all (shipping GST etc, etc, etc) am I on the money?

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 11:55:21 am »
Hi Dave,
Welcome to the Forum!
Nice car, and you will certainly stand out from the crowd in a Yellow convertible.

I would suggest that you join the Mustang Owners Club of Victoria, as I am sure that there would be many members there willing to give you sound, quality advice on who would be best to ship your car for you. They have a very good committee and membership base.

As for the $4k for shipping, gst, etc.
Our dollar is falling, so you will pay more for gst and shipping.
I would question that quote, as I am sure that the total cost would be considerably more than that quoted to you!

Your vehicle is in Florida. Correct?
So, you will either need to pay for inland truck shipping, or an increased sea freight shipping charge!
Also, there has been 3 rate rises this year alone from the shipping companies and the cost of shipping vehicles is becoming more expensive. I use a large multinational company to handle my containers and have been extremely happy to date. At least they are here in Australia, which means I can walk into their office and deal with them face to face if I needed to.

All I can say is do your homework and deal with a reputable company that will give you good sound advice and support.
Also, make sure that you insure the vehicle for general leverage insurance and the cost of the vehicle including the freight charges. If something leaks out of  your vehicle and goes into another container and damages the contents of that container, then you may be liable for damages, then that's when you will need the cover.

I hope that this little bit of info helps you!
Al
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:30:58 pm by big al »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »
If something leaks out of your vehicle and goes into another container and damages the contents of that container, then you may be liable for damages

They stack one car on top of another in a container so ask if you can have your car placed on top, I've heard of one car leaking oil onto the convertible below ruining the ragtop.

s

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 09:00:21 pm »
As you say the car belongs to a friend and you have already driven it, I would say you’re already ahead of the curve.  Not many here have the luxury of doing that.  I didn’t and had my Mach 1 professionally checked also in Florida and it got the all clear.  Did the risky thing and bought it sight unseen but fortunately my story is a happy one as the car was good, or rather what I expected and had no nasty surprises.  They trucked the car in an enclosed trailer from Orlando to the port of Savannah, South Carolina and the car was put in a 40ft container with only one other car and was shipped through the Panama Canal and did the SE Asian hop to Australia. Wasn’t cheap but I paid for peace of mind and the exchange rates were better.  Agree with Big Al, $4k sounds conservative in today’s money.

For a ‘71 convertible, it sounds about right for a car that needs attention, sound ‘verts of this vintage cost more and show cars are around US$30K if not more.  I’m abit concerned about the rust on the dogleg and floor.  That’s what you can see and what’s the underside like, what sort of interior work does it need, are the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, electricals sound ?  Typical questions for a 40 year old car.  Thanks for the pic, and apologies for saying so, but about the only things Mach 1 on it are the stripes and the rear wing.  Personally, I think it’s not Mach 1 enough just going by one photo as it has a standard grille, non-polyurethane bumper, no NASA scoops, standard interior, no front spoiler and lacks afew more bits and bobs.   The eBay car I attached has most the full blown Mach 1 trim so my preference would be to go for that look but we’re getting subjective and may be heading into a different price bracket from what you want to spend.

I think your  ’71 is priced for some additional work to be done to it, increase shipping by about 2 to 3 grand and allow for the higher price of exchange rates differences, then bank on a minimum cost of $20K Australian.  Good luck with it and hope it all works out.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 10:31:41 pm »
Welcome Dave and good luck with it....

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 12:43:11 pm »
he's looking for $9500 US then it will cost me about 4K to clear it all (shipping GST etc, etc, etc) am I on the money?

Here's some rough numbers for you:

US road transport from Florida: $1K - $1.5K depending on which port it leaves from (NY or LA)
Ocean freight: $1.5K (again, depends on port)
Marine insurance: $0.2K

So you're up for around $3.2K USD ($3.8K AUD)  to get it to the docks in Australia.  Then you're up for GST on the landed cost (approx. $1.5K AUD) and customs clearance (another $1.5K AUD).  Add that all up and you're looking at around $7K AUD on top of the cost of the car.

Oh and BTW, while at least in theory you should be able to handle the Customs clearance yourself, in practice it ain't gonna happen and you will nee an agent/broker (included in the fees I quoted above).  There would only be a couple of hundred bucks in it anyway.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:49:46 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian