Hello from a newbie

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Hello from a newbie  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
Hello from a newbie
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:34:22 pm »
Hi all. Just a quick post to say that I am the proud owner of a recently restored Red 71 Mustang convertible which has just landed from LA - well my 3 year old has laid claim to it with "its my muthtang daddy" - so who am I to argue? Can't wait to get the car registered and on the road. First I need a Vass certificate and a couple of compliance items like head lights, rear indicaters and seat belts. I look forward to joining the MOCA and going to as many of the MOCA events as I can - at least the Victorian ones. I have a slight problem in that I don't know where to go to get amber lenses for my tail lights - any suggestions from anyone out there? I thought of companies that do RHD conversions, but it seems that the majority only convert the earlier models.

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
Hello from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:51:57 pm »
Red 71

Welcome to this site some of us love the big cars.:]

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Hello from a newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:28:14 pm »
Red...  Welcome..  what area are you from?

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Hello from a newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:45:56 am »
Welcome Red, on the subject of lense, you may be able to use the yellow globes now available and retain your clear lenses.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
Hello from a newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:46:42 am »
Hello again and thanks for the warm welcome guys. Jmd1, I'm glad there are others out there that like the "big" cars - I also think they are a little nicer to drive than the earlier models (I say this at the risk of suffering the wrath of the Mustang purists).  Mac1, I live in Kensington VIC - wherer are you located? Nassi, thanks for the suggestion, however, the tail light lenses are red, so I really need to find someone who does conversions/compliance on the 71-73 Mustangs, because I don't want to butcher my tail lights.

Regards,

Peter

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Hello from a newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 08:56:12 am »
Sorry Peter, just showing my ignorance .
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
Re: Hello from a newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:02:52 am »
First I need a Vass certificate and a couple of compliance items like head lights, rear indicaters and seat belts. I look forward to joining the MOCA and going to as many of the MOCA events as I can - at least the Victorian ones. I have a slight problem in that I don't know where to go to get amber lenses for my tail lights - any suggestions from anyone out there?

I know this is an old thread, but my understanding is you only need to comply with ADRs that were in force at the time your car was manufactured. 

As yours is a '71, you shouldn't need to worry about amber turn signals as this is part of ADR6 which came in Jan '73.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
Re: Hello from a newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:36:10 pm »
The big cars are my favourites and there is plenty of support out there for the ’71-‘73s.  Speaking from experience as I owned a ‘69 Mach 1 and as much as I loved that car, my ’73 Mach is all that and more.  And yes, I rate it a better driving car as well.

I also want to keep my Mach as close to original as possible being an American import as well and also faced the same dilemma with my tail lights.  I refuse to add amber lens’ as they look dicky and fortunately, can keep my flashing red lenses under club rego.  I enquired about full rego and keeping my red lenses intact.  I was told by a Mustang restorer that I could use an amber globe in the small white back up lenses in my taillight assembly. I’ve attached a pic of my rear tail lights, can’t remember if the ‘71s are the same. On the ’69, the white back-up lights were separate from the brake lights as they were located on the lower rear valance panel.

I can’t remember whether the ‘71’s also had their white back-up light in the brake light assembly but if they do, an amber lens in the back-ups would a good compromise, if you need one at all.   And you don’t live far from me, would love to see the ’71 ‘vert sometime.