Importing a modified Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing a modified Mustang  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Macstang

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Macca
Importing a modified Mustang
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:59:45 pm »
Hi, I'm new to the forum, have always loved the 67, 68 mustangs and I'm finally in a position to do something about getting one.
I'm looking at importing a fine 67, the car has been modified, (5.0 HO EFI, 5 speed manual, 4 wheel discs, upgraded suspension and rims, tyres)
Am I likely to experience difficulties with Customs or trying to have it registered in Victoria?
I've read other posts regarding permits/club rego and that seems like an option, any advice appreciated.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Importing a modified Mustang
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:21:04 pm »
You are  not suppose to import a modified car unless you can prove the mods were done pre 1989 . People do but it's a risk ,you may loose the car .

Offline Macstang

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:37:43 pm »
Wow, I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info Glenn.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 02:00:50 am »
Macca

Importing a car like you have described is possible as long as you go about it correctly

The twin turbo fastback in this video is actually mine (filmed right here in Florida) and its currently sitting in Victoria. It also made the front cover of Modified Mustangs and ford magazine a few years back over here in the US. I was pretty happy about that

http://www.shannons.com.au/club/video/shermatt-international-the-1961-ferrari-250-gt-california-episode-2-series2-man/

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:04:13 am by Shermatt »

Offline Macstang

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 02:13:04 pm »
Thanks Shermatt, That is one of the wildest cars, great job!!
I've done a fair bit of importing a few years back bringing in timber from Canada, not sure if I'll attempt to bring a car in though, might leave that to the experts.
What do you mean by going about it correctly?
I've looked into obtaining a VIA, but not too sure if the seller will want to wait around whilst I wait on that,
Regards,
Macca.