Swap my stang for a falcon coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Swap my stang for a falcon coupe  (Read 4508 times)

Offline edspaged2

• Thoroughbred
Swap my stang for a falcon coupe
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:07:51 am »
Unsure if its a wise move or not. I've always had a thing for the xa, b and c coupes. Never been able to get my hands on one as they're always demanding a pretty high sum of money. I've recently been in contact with someone who has an xb coupe. He's considering possibly doing a straight swap for my 68 fastback. Now my mustang isnt 100% complete and isnt the prettiest thing. Not one thing on my vehicle is original to it. His vehicle is pretty much all there, but could do with a paintjob. Then again, so could mine. I love both vehicles, but I feel I've kinda reached a stalling point where I can't be f@cked ever finishing my mustang. Too hard finding parts, expensive freight, etc etc. unsure what to do. I may have regret later on if I do the swap. I felt like that way when I sold my 34 gtr skyline to buy the mustang. Oh man my head is all over the place!  :tissue:

What are your opinions?

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
Re: Swap my stang for a falcon coupe
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:47:28 am »
Put some pics up of both cars and some info on them  and I'm sure there will be opinions coming at you from everywhere  :thumb:

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:52:00 am »
I had an XB GS coupe. - great car, but I prefer my Stang.

Think you have answered your own question by stating you can't be bothered to finish the Stang, and are so tempted by the coupe. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
IMG

Offline Bluedog

• Thoroughbred
  • GGT69
  • Name: Glenn
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:59:02 am »
Mate,
 I own both a 69 GT Fastback and a XB GT Coupe. You can't loose either way you go, but just consider this, it will cost 2 x as much to build a XB Coupe over a Mustang I have done both. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:07:33 am by Bluedog »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:00:44 pm »
Hmmm ,my fastback or a falcon coupe , hmmm that's easy I would keep my fastback and buy the coupe . :pepper:

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:48 pm »
Mate,
....... but just consider this, it will cost 2 x as much to build a XB Coupe over a Mustang I have done both.

an XA, B or C?? ill up that to 4 times the cost of a mustang and bloody hard to get certain parts.
a good mate of mine is doing his XB and he talked me through what its costing him. to say its expensive is an understatement!  :cry:

when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:32 pm »
Griff pretty much said it...you think you cant find parts for a mustang?? Other than finding a bloody hand brake bezel light for my 65 the parts are easily available... finding parts for the XA XB XC coupes will be a lot harder mind you they are one of the best shape fords especially the XB...my mate swapped his mustang fastback for an xw gt and was happy on his choice but he also came up to me the other day and said he wished now he kept his stang.

I also love my other toy a VH SLE I bought this nearly new and I know if I sold it ...I would be regretting this later on..the car has been a gem all its life and I doubt I would sell it unless another car came my way that would make me want that car more....So think carefully the biggest thing i get when i drive my SLE are guys coming up to me saying ..."man i love that car i wish id kept mine"     
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:12:24 pm »
....I also love my other toy a VH SLE...   

so is her in the avatar background keeping an eye on yer stang andrew? they are indeed a tidy piece.
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline edspaged2

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 03:58:42 am »
Too ashamed to post pics of mine up lol. Looks ratty and dusty. Can I post pics using my ipad?

This xb coupe is complete. Ratty looking but all there.  It Was last registered about 7 years ago. I remember it driving around when I was in high school. The place it's at has a good treasure trove of ford stuff and other old cars. A few gangster style looking old vehicles too. My mate has been out to this block a few times and he was the one that put me onto this person. I'm planning on a lil trip out there to have a look at with him. Bit of a drive out bush.

As for parts, it was just those niggly things that gave me the sh!ts that I couldn't get hold of. Simple brake parts, interior trim, and stuff I can't remember. Some of those bits I still need too.

I'm not even looking for a über clean falcon coupe to be honest. Not after a full interior. I'd love an old black coupe to do a mad max replica. The beater from part 2. Loved that movie when I first watched it when I was 8. Aaahhhh childhood dreams....

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 11:01:02 pm »
so is her in the avatar background keeping an eye on yer stang andrew? they are indeed a tidy piece.

lol yes mate thats the stable mate peeking

My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 01:04:35 pm »
I also love my other toy a VH SLE I bought this nearly new

Gorgeous!  Is it a 'space age'?

Edit: lol, I should've scrolled further down before I asked.

s
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:07:09 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 01:08:21 pm »
I'd love an old black coupe to do a mad max replica. The beater from part 2. Loved that movie when I first watched it when I was 8. Aaahhhh childhood dreams....

Again, you're answering your own question.  Do it!  It sounds like it'll be something you'll regret in years to come.
As much as I hate to say it; YOLO!

s

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 08:19:40 am »
AFAIK virtually all the '68 Mustang FB stuff is available. You shouldn't have any trouble getting parts, ex USA via NPD or any of a number of suppliers.
But it's easy to get bogged down in a project. Just don't swap one seemingly bottomless pit for what could turn out to be another!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:23:38 am by 67FBGT »

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 09:14:24 am »
AFAIK virtually all the '68 Mustang FB stuff is available. You shouldn't have any trouble getting parts, ex USA via NPD or any of a number of suppliers.
But it's easy to get bogged down in a project. Just don't swap one seemingly bottomless pit for what could turn out to be another!

I agree, if your bored with the one you have, moving to another project possibly isn't the solution, if you want a falcon coupe, finish your mustang, if your not happy with it, then sell it and buy a falcon.

Others have said it, but parts and rust is a problem for these big coupes, replacement panels are not available and good second hand ones are not cheap.

I have a few falcon sedan parts I've been collecting, good front guards range from 250-500 each, bumpers expect to pay 300-500, grill expect to pay up to 1000 for a good one, a Gt bonnet again, up to 1500, things add up fast, your mustang I would think, would be 40% cheaper on parts, than a falcon.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 12:29:17 pm »
If you want a falcon coupe, finish your mustang, if you're not happy with it, then sell it and buy a falcon.

Dunno, the guy really likes Falcons and there is one on offer he can have right now for a simple swap. Keep in mind it has all the parts, it sounds that it's just a matter of prettying it up, apart from any mechanical issues or rust.

It may be a while before another one pops up in Darwin.

s
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:30:55 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 10:06:16 pm »
Well, go & see this XB, see what it's like & why it's been sitting for some years. Your mate can help by making sure your assessment is ruled by head rather than by heart.
What's the market like for Mustang fastbacks (complete & running, on the road) right now? And how does that compare to an equivalent condition XB?