My 65 Fastback.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My 65 Fastback.  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Watchdog

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Alan
My 65 Fastback.
« on: June 13, 2015, 01:48:43 pm »
Well after wanting one for over 30 years, I finally picked up my first Mustang. Always wanted a 65/66 fastback, and after looking around for a while, found this one. By no means a concourse car and does need a bit of work here and there with a bit of engine tidy/dress up needed, but I can look forward to tinkering over the next few years.

Few things being sorted now for licensing and hopefully will have her on the road soon.
5R09A
65 A code Fastback

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
Re: My 65 Fastback.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 01:55:13 pm »
Congrats. Looks great - hard to beat a 65/66 fastback.  :thumb:

Offline Murkyrat

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 02:40:58 pm »
Niiiice. Congats and enjoy.  :thumb:

Offline HAMBURGLAR

• Worked
  • I NEED MORE MONEY
  • Name: mark
  • Car: 66 A code fastback 6R09A
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:05:03 pm »
Congrats Alan , that's a tidy looking car. Does'nt look like it needs much work champ , but there's nothing like pulling them apart and doing little bits then putting it back together again. My wife cant stand it. I have had mine pulled down for about 2 months now painting the engine bay and updating parts on the engine and engine bay bits like steering , braces , and lots of shiny bits. Now installing a 5 speed so we can enjoy cruising up to Sydney and back. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Send us pics as you go. Mark. :thumb:
66 A code fastback 289w , t5 , 3.8truetrak.
56 F100 Deluxe custom cab. Major frame off resto. 347w , AOD , Custom 9inch , 3.7 powertrax , IFS , Parallel 4 link rear. Airbags , Low enough to kill ants. Still in progress.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 05:11:28 pm »
Looks nice, the parchment interior is different to most. :thumb:

Offline Watchdog

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 06:18:37 pm »
Thanks Guys, just cant wait to get it on the road. Not sure if the interior is actually Parchment as i think its too light for that but its actually what my Mrs fell in love with. Of course came in black from the factory but the guy I bought it from had the interior redone in the states before importing it in 2010. He said he picked the lighter colour to be cooler in summer.

Like I said just a few little tidy ups, main thing is no rust that i could find and the body is really nice and straight. Biggest job at this stage I  think is having the front and rear screens looked at as it is leaking and they dont look like they have been fitted the best. Checked the cowl and its not coming from there. Seems to be a common theme on here.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:28:45 pm by Watchdog »
5R09A
65 A code Fastback

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:19:24 am »
well done, is that the car that was for sale in South Australia
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 11:06:44 am »
Alan - how are you going rego wise

finally got my plates fitted (pinched "Dales" idea and went for personal ones) - the Black/Gold ones we have are not the best colour match but reckon it looks good

cheers

greg

Offline Watchdog

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 11:17:27 am »
well done, is that the car that was for sale in South Australia

Yes Dale that's the one. Flew over and inspected the car and was by far the best conditioned one (for the price) I had seen, compared to what I had looked at in WA anyway. More importantly was in my budget, even with freight costs. Licensing however is turning out to be a nightmare and the bill is climbing (very quickly)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:42:28 am by Watchdog »
5R09A
65 A code Fastback

Offline Watchdog

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 11:42:12 am »
Think the plates look great Greg  :thumb:, I ordered mine 3 weeks ago in the same colour combo and went for MSTG 65, so hopefully shouldnt be too far off.

As for licensing? Well still working on fixing the issues the inspector picked up so not ready for another go at the pits yet. I do have a pretty big (expensive) problem with the brakes.The inspector has picked up an issue with the brake lines to the front. Done a bit of research and turns out that they are wrong. At some point the brakes have been redone and the correct brake lines that go into the calipers, havent been used. Dont know what they are from or for. Anyway, whoever did the work has modified a couple of brackets on the rails so that these lines work (they are too long), so now the brake lines go where they shouldn't. They interfere with the front suspension. As a result when the car is under load, the suspension is riding up and hitting the brake lines, has damaged them and in one spot actually squashed them a bit.

Can sort out the brackets no problem, but I have to replace the damaged brake lines. Too big a job for me so the car is at a mates workshop now waiting on parts. Not sure how long it will be.  :cry:

Cheers
Al.
5R09A
65 A code Fastback

Offline Watchdog

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 06:45:43 pm »
Had re-inspection today and passed  :thumb:. She is now licensed and ready for cruisin.
5R09A
65 A code Fastback

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 11:58:20 am »
Had re-inspection today and passed  :thumb: . She is now licensed and ready for cruisin.
well done................I have mine here at work with me today :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Axeman

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Anthony
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 03:39:04 pm »
Nice! Best colour combo....

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 09:53:07 am »
Nice! Best colour combo....
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: you fool..........Black is not a colour , it is a FULL TIME JOB!.......Lol

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 10:34:47 am »
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: you fool..........Black is not a colour , it is a FULL TIME JOB!.......Lol

That is true

Seems to he a few of the Black/Golds in the club - anyone have an idea of how many total?

Offline mk1_oz

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 03:56:02 pm »
Sweet ride!