Edelbrock Intake manifold....yes or no?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Edelbrock Intake manifold....yes or no?  (Read 11863 times)

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
Re: Edelbrock Intake manifold....yes or no?
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21:05 pm »
dammit sorry i missed your call today gaz, you could always see if sydney mustangs have a used one and try it or message birdman as he has a drop base i think.
ive got the oval air cleaner and thats even raised up to catch air thru the bonnet scoop.
griff
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41:53 pm »
OK...I decided to go for a new Performer RPM. After doing some tedious measurements (RPM is 1.4" taller), I'm now looking for a drop base air cleaner (base only as I already have the HIPO style 2 1/4" high)......I need about a 1" drop to fit a 600 cfm holley, does anyone have this combo? Griffo, I'd like to try your base over my holley, I'll call you to make an appointment  :thumb:

Gazza  I know you spoke with griff,buzz me tomorrow and come and try out my drop base filter.

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 10:43:09 pm »
read what I posted in HELP URGENTLY NEEDED
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 11:09:43 am »
You can buy just the drop base on ebay from the Procomp guy, AT racing about $25

Thanks shaunp, there actual only $20.
I think I've solved my problem without the drop base.  :pepper: The RPM is 1.40" higher than stock - I have a 1.10" spacer under the carby, if I delete that, I will have ample clearance, also the RPM manifold has a port at the back which I can plumb the PCV into which at the moment attaches to a spigot on the rear of the spacer.
So, next Q, do I need the existing spacer for some other reason? It appears that all parts of the carby will clear the manifold without the spacer.
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 11:45:35 am »
Is the current spacer in place to prevent heat soak into the carb? You could replace it with a slimmer one?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 12:28:32 pm »
read what I posted in HELP URGENTLY NEEDED
Thanks Andrew, this helps a lot
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 02:27:37 pm »
It should be ok without the spacer ,but if you think the carby is getting too hot just get a half inch heat spacer ,that's what I run on my 66 with the RPM intake .

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »
It should be ok without the spacer ,but if you think the carby is getting too hot just get a half inch heat spacer ,that's what I run on my 66 with the RPM intake .
Thanks Glenn, did you use a 4 hole spacer or a divided spacer to suit manifold mating surface footprint?
....I've read that using a 4 hole increases velocity thus improving low to mid range torque.

Gazza

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »
A 1/2 inch spacer with the four holes .Remember to get the right length carby studs and two carby base gaskets .Then when you have fitted the carby make sure the throttle opens wide and returns freely before you start the engine .

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 07:01:59 pm »
A 1/2 inch spacer with the four holes .Remember to get the right length carby studs and two carby base gaskets .Then when you have fitted the carby make sure the throttle opens wide and returns freely before you start the engine .
:thumb: thanks Glenn, that's the way I thought...now the test, hope I don't have to re-jet the holley, but I want it to run as well (if not better I hope) than it's running now...remembering I replacing the manifold bcoz of coolant leak @ badly corroded thermo housing mounting face  :sick: all this keeps me busy when I'm not baby sitting my 2 grandkids

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 07:17:14 pm »
Carby jets will stay the same .I don't like the 600 holleys but if they are working fine well that's fine .Just remember to run a fuel filter between pump and carby .

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 08:53:07 am »
........... .Just remember to run a fuel filter between pump and carby .
I've heard this before with Holley carbs, why after the pump? I have a plastic Ryco before the pump (thus protecting it) & no problems.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 09:36:07 am »
Some people do run a filter before the pump and that ok ,but after the pump and before the carby is best . Some times you can get a bit of crap from the pump itself,thus causing this to go into the carby as there is no filter . Holley carbs suffer from dirt in there needle and seats quite often so a filter is a must .

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 09:49:09 am »
Some people do run a filter before the pump and that ok ,but after the pump and before the carby is best . Some times you can get a bit of crap from the pump itself,thus causing this to go into the carby as there is no filter . Holley carbs suffer from dirt in there needle and seats quite often so a filter is a must .
My holley has a fine metal gauze at the fuel inlet, but I might fit a second filter as you suggest.