clear parking light lens common or not

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: clear parking light lens common or not  (Read 1577 times)

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
clear parking light lens common or not
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:18:40 pm »
hi all
just wondering if the clear parking lens is common here in Australia. or do you have to change it to amber lens
because parking lights are white in modern cars not amber.
thanks to you all in advance for responding with feedback
jeff    :burnout:

Offline Stang 65

• Stallion
Re: clear parking light lens common or not
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »
i dont know the requirements for each state, they maybe different. i'm not sure what you mean to ''change to amber'' because as far as i know they all come with amber to begin with (they did specific export models with clear but most of them went to europe or elsewhere afaik , i have seeen pics of a few original to austraia that appeared to be export models but i couldnt confirm if they where that way to start with or been altered (the owners said they were export modles), and i have also seen some pics/articles in old aussie magazines and they are orange. 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

like i said each state may have differeent requirements for instance in SA if the car didnt come with seat belts they are not required to be put in, in QLD i think they are, used to have to be 3 point belts but i think i read shaup saying now they only have to be lap belts (doesnt stop your head going through the windsheild but the non collapsable steering column skewing your chest to seat will probably help with that  :lol:  and if by chance the steering column doesnt get you then you have the padded dash which is the equivalent to modern airbags ;-)

in SA clear indicators on front and red in rear is allowed on cars before a certain year ,cant remember the exact year without looking it up but i'm sure at least 65/66 qualify, perhaps later as well. in NSW i often hear people changing the rear (presumably leaving front orange) backup light to orange or adding a one third orange segment to the brake light, i'm not sure if its a requirement for them but i get that feeling sometimes when i read it. i kinda think its not a great option to change part of the brake light as you end up with less brake light but each to their own, i'd be certain that would be ileagle in SA if they got picky or take it to the letter of the law here, not sure if they would, seems doubtful. LHD cars in SA are meant to remain original or something that could have been done by a dealer before delivery, except a few exceptions, A/C compressors, brighter lights, radios and some other things

also many aussie built or assembled cars or imports from the UK/Canada have the clear parkers in the indicators and might also in the be in the main headlight, some just in the headlight. you can buy fairly cheaply new semi sealed 7" headlight lenses that look much like the originals with the provision for a parker light, it wouldnt be hard to wire it in for parkers.

anyway my feeling is if you wanted to change to clear lenses i cant see them picking on you, most cops dont concern themselves or have the intricate knowledge of what these old cars are meant to be (so one or two i spoke to said), unlike the old days the average cop is more about handing out tickets checking for drugs etc etc, if something obvious looks wrong they send you off to the inspection places. i doubt a clear lens qualifies or would attract their attention. besides you can easily get from local parts shops orange globes to go inside the clear lens (which was also a common thing in the sixies maybe later). or you can upgrade to LED globes (which is permissible here in SA) orange or white, or some of the fancier ones stay white like modern front running lights and turn to orange when you indicate.

which is more popular or would be anyones guess, i like clear myself, suits it better imo but that is purely subjective to each of us. but if i had to bet i'd say orange is more common since most came with that

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 01:59:26 pm »
All Aussie cars pre 73/74 had clear lenses . Then they went to amber . These days they are back to clear with amber globes .  America was a bit of both  amber with clear globs then clear with amber globes . And there brake lights were blinkers now some are clear lenses with amber globs .   :thud:

Offline Stang 65

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »
yeah i remember my VH charger had clear, same with a range or bigger aussie fords i had, some old cortinas though had clear but others (pre 73) had an orange section behind or next to the clear.

my preference is to put parker globes in the headlights, orange lights to me, unless they are flashing (just me perhaps) represent clearance lights which are meant to show the outside width of the vehicle or trailer to other traffic

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 02:22:42 pm »
Yes some had  a amber insert behind the clear lenses  . it's like windscreens back in 1988 when I converted my 70 Mach 1 I had to change the windscreen to an Aussie one then  in  89 they changed the law and you could keep the American one . :thud: again  Clear,..Amber clear ,clear amber . They Change their minds all the time ,even now with seat belt laws etc . :thud: again . :grin: