HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY  (Read 13451 times)

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
  • Name: Andrew
Re: HELP NEEDED URGENTLY
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 10:11:28 pm »
Have you tried to drop the revs down by moving the dizzy?...keep the idle at 1500 or where its happy...rotate the dizzy to see if you can drop the idle down...you could be as mentioned a tooth out which would cause you to see a false reading on the timing.

Also make sure that nothing in the throttle is binding and the throttle linkage is springing back.

BUT this could be the issue it could be what sort of Manifold are you using? If its an Edelbrock and you are using a holley carb I have read this..........(not my words below but I remember seeing this article when I was looking for my carb and manifold set up) hence why I went holley / welland

You are fighting the exact same problem I had. If you will go out, open the hood, and run your fingers around and under the holley baseplate you will see that it overhangs the edelbrock mounting pad, alot, which creates a vacuum leak. Even though there is a gasket under there it is not sandwiched enough to cover the vacuum passages adequately to prevent a leak. You can put a squarebore spacer under the carb and the vacuum leak will go away. When I installed a spacer, some of my problems went away because my vacuum leak went away, then I had to retune the carb.

Now the mechanic, while he has the carb off, will have to adjust the carb so that the primary transition slots are only exposed by about .020 of an inch, and set the secondary the same. Then bolt it on and tune, should go better. Right now he has the curb idle adjusted so high that too much of the transition slots are exposed, just to get it to idle, because of your vacuum leak. Once this is straighten out you may end up with an off idle bog which is hard to tune out on this carb, which is very frustrating.

With that being said the street avenger carb is an emissions carb. The terms "emissions" and "hot rod" should never be used in the same sentence. I don't know how funding comes into the mix here, but if funding is not a factor I would remove the holley, install an edelbrock 600 and be done with it. You don't need a spacer, which is a band aid for a problem created by the holley carb/edelbrock intake. The edelbrock also has a much better idle circuit and is more tunable than the holley, especially when running a C4 tranny. You wouldn't need your mechanic, just remove the holley, install the edelbrock and set curb idle and idle mix and be done with it.

When I ran into this same problem, I borrowed an edelbrock 600 from a buddy, bolted it on and all of my problems dissapeared. There are lots of forums that address major problems with the street avenger series. Being an emissions carb it is tuned very lean which is not good for a hot rod. I am including an article I used for tuning my avenger which helped immensly, got it close but I never got it right and retired it. Print this out and hand it to your mechanic, and if he doesn't agree or will not listen, find another mechanic. If the mechanic is not a hot rodder he is not aware of these problems. If you get this problem straightened out you may not need a stall converter. A stall converter, until you have your idle problems fixed is a very expensive band aid for a carb problem. Now if you do have a very healthy cam its possible you may have to go that route, but I have a buddy with a 66 that has a cam that rocks like a promod and he can idle his motor down to 700 rpm curb idle. He is also running an edelbrock carb/edelbrock intake combo, no vacuum leak.

If you will go out, open the hood, and run your fingers around and under the holley base plate you will see that it overhangs the edelbrock mounting pad, alot, which creates a vacuum leak. 

I could spray around my carb but could not detect a leak simply because my idle was so high, just like yours. Then on this very forum, a kind gentleman by the name of Paul Stevens told me my problem. I followed his advice, bought a 1" phenolic spacer and my vacuum leak dissapeared. Then I could actually idle down and my air fuel mixture screws actually did something.

Both Holley and Edelbrock may squarebore carbs but the width/depth of the baseplates are different, butterfly centerlines are the same and each carb will bolt onto each intake. Holley makes the Wieand intake with a wider mounting flange to mate with the Holley carb, and naturally Edelbrock matches width of their intake to fit their carbs. Both carbs are virtually the same depth of measure. You can mount an Edelbrock carb on a Wieand intake with no leaks, but mounting the Holley on the Edelbrock intake creates leaks, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Try this short test tomorrow. Start the car, let it warm up....then cup your hands as tight across the airhorn of the carb as you possibly can. If the motor stalls you do not have a vacuum leak....but if the motor continues to run you have a vacuum leak. Think about it....if you are cutting off the flow of air with your hands then where is the air coming from to let the motor continue to run...air leak at the baseplate?

I have an Autolite 4100 on my car now and still have to run a spacer because of the width of the carb vs the width of the intake mounting base. I just measured my adapter, and on both sides of the carb the adapter overhangs the intake mounting base by 1/2". If your avenger is like mine, and should be, on the passenger side, rear there is a vacuum fitting I think for power brakes. The slot in the carb baseplate runs out to within 1/4" of the carb mounting base. This means there is 1/4" of vacuum slot that is not sandwiched between gasket and intake without an adapter.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:36:48 pm by MACH_ONE »
My other car is a Mustang ( ok I lied this one cost me enough)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 08:49:33 am »
The idle transfer slots can certainly be a major issue, but there are 100000s cars running a Holley on a Edelbrock manifold, an Edelbrock carb is really a Carter, there would be more Holley's on Edelbrock then Edelbrock on Edelbrock, a common issue is using the wrong gasket under the carb with a factory ford spacer. But you always need to check for air leaks
 In real terms you can't get a false reading on timing, you can drop the distributor in any where, as long as the rotor points to the lead going to the right cylinder it's fine. The only issue with where drop the dissy in, is that you can rotate it enough to set the timing, ie the vac canister doesn't hit anything.
 An Edelbrock/Carter is a more tolerant carb, it works like a GM Rochester quadrajet , they use vacuum controlled needles in jets to meter fuel, like English SU carbs as well, they are a variable Jet carb, they do get to a point where you have to swap needles etc, but on  an average engine they work, you wouldn't use one on a really trick engine. Holley's are like pretty much every other carb on the planet, a fixed jet, so if the jetting is wrong you have to change the jets. On an avenger they are set lean ie basically for a stock engine, I think a 570 has like 54 jets in the primary's, you find it would be ok on a stock 289 /302, but chuck a cam in it and you'll need to change the jets to around 60-62. A roller cam engine would want some slightly bigger jets as the nature of the cam has the valves lifted more over the duration.  Everyone expects to take a Holley out of the box and for it to run, mostly they do, but they are only in the ball park you have to jet them. An engine is best to be just on the lean side. Over fuelling washes the bores dilutes the oil, looses power. Ultimately a performance engine needs a Double pumper, while an engine running a 650 double pumper will have the same over all HP and Torque at max RPM as one running a 650 vac carb, because it's just basically a mathematical formula , but the acceleration of the engine will be much quicker with a correctly set up DP carb, and that's really what you are looking for on a high performance engine fast acceleration.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:51:28 am by shaunp »

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:03 am »
Holley on Weiand. In any event, while I can see that everyone keeps suspecting it, there is just no indication of vac leak. Gauge holds steady at about 22 in and spraying everywhere doesn't show anything up.

Have you tried to drop the revs down by moving the dizzy?...keep the idle at 1500 or where its happy...rotate the dizzy to see if you can drop the idle down...you could be as mentioned a tooth out which would cause you to see a false reading on the timing.

Also make sure that nothing in the throttle is binding and the throttle linkage is springing back.

Yep, whatever initial advance I have at the moment (estimated at 8-10) this the result of moving the dizzy around to find what seems to be the sweetest spot just by ear. This morning I tried this again. There is no noticeable change in revs moving it but going too far in either direction it is clearly out of the sweet spot and starts to stumble then dies. No linkage issues, I can certainly lower the idle speed but I don't get far before it dies.

The other thing is are the valves adjusted correctly?

May have to look into this if nothing else works.

If it spits back through the carb it's lean assuming the firing order is correct. Exhaust back fire = rich, carb backfire =lean.

Not doing this while it's running, it coughs back after it stops and has wound down, then it seems to run backwards just a smidge and coughs.

You are running the right firing order not the old original one right .Have you tried blocking all vacuum hoses ,brake booster,PVC,the small vac port under carby  front bowl etc.Cam timing has not been changed has it .

Firing order is correct for roller cam 5.0 - 13726548. Wouldn't run at all with the old FO would it?To date vac advance port has been disconnected and plugged, the other small port under the front is plugged, the large port under the front has the vac gauge connected and the rear port has the pcv. Just disconnected the pcv line and plugged that port, made no difference. No brake booster.  It's just a reco roller with GT40 heads, no mods other than carb instead of EFI. I assume the cam is standard and cam timing is standard.

This might sound silly but I had a similar problem with my forklift, wouldn't idle... Had two mechanics look at it. Finally found the problem... I was the rocker cover breather hose, the little valve that connects from the rocker cover to the hose was broken....
You can only check

I guess you mean the pcv? As above, taking this out of the equation makes no difference.

I am starting to suspect spark in the absence of any indication of vac leak. When it dies as I wind the idle down it is sudden rather than starting to stumble and idle roughly before it eventually dies. As I said in my previous post, I can see the spark cutting out at the point the engine dies, or possibly a split second before, then reappearing shortly after once it's wound down and does this brief reverse rotation thing. If it was a fuel/air issue wouldn't I briefly see the spark continuing after it lost fire while it was still rotating? Is it possible the ignition module/dizzy is cutting out when the advance gets down to a certain point as the revs decrease, but works again at static advance as I can see just cranking it and when it does this run backwards thing? Thinking out loud again but would welcome comment on this even if just to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »
........... there would be more Holley's on Edelbrock then Edelbrock on Edelbrock, a common issue is using the wrong gasket under the carb with a factory ford spacer. ..........
OK, now I'm getting more good info. Shaunp, I have purchased an edelbrock RPM & want to use my holley 4160 & have seen the mismatch size, I haven't started replacing my manifold yet, but would like to know what gaskets I should use. I'm not sure yet if the spacer fitted is original, but I'm willing to change it if necessary, it's approx. 1.10" thk.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:33:42 pm by GT Sally »
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:55 pm »
Just early 289/302 intake gaskets .std square bore Holley base gasket .4x new carby studs and nuts .Wouldnt hurt to get new manifold bolts also .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 02:49:59 pm »
Hey what happened there ,sorry wrong thread .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 03:33:17 pm »
OK, now I'm getting more good info. Shaunp, I have purchased an edelbrock RPM & want to use my holley 4160 & have seen the mismatch size, I haven't started replacing my manifold yet, but would like to know what gaskets I should use. I'm not sure yet if the spacer fitted is original, but I'm willing to change it if necessary, it's approx. 1.10" thk.

I never bolt them to the manifold I always use a phenolic/craftwood spacer. These keep the heat out of the carb solves any mismatch issues that may arise, I've never had an issue but I've never bolted one straight down either.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 08:04:31 pm »
Well here comes my stab in the dark----have you had any back firing issues on initial start up, maybe if so you have blown the power valve. Just a thought. :thumb:

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 09:08:10 pm »
I know this is not relevant in this case however for EFI people,
Never move the plug leads around in the distributor cap to correct a timing issue.
The vane in the distributor controls the sequential fuel injection.
If you move the leads in the cap you get the spark out of phase with the injectors.
It still runs ok but is down on power and hard to diagnose if you don't know what to look for.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 09:22:17 pm »
Well here comes my stab in the dark----have you had any back firing issues on initial start up, maybe if so you have blown the power valve. Just a thought. :thumb:

Its hard without seeing whats happening its all a stab in the dark

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 09:39:30 pm »
It won't be the power valve and Holley carbs have power valve protection for years now.

Offline McBrain

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Nick
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 12:52:49 am »
My 2 cents:

Do you still have the old points set? If so,  try them instead of the Pertronix.

Also,  what are the idle mixture screws set to? 1.5 turns or more?

Nick
1968 X Code 390 fastback

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 06:00:37 pm »
My 2 cents:

Do you still have the old points set? If so,  try them instead of the Pertronix.

Also,  what are the idle mixture screws set to? 1.5 turns or more?

Nick

hmmm I'm wondering if it could be this......maybe change back to points and see if it is the Pertronix. I know they had issues with the 6 cylinder ones....also correct me if I'm wrong if the springs are binding in the dizzy this could cause high RPM as it would be advancing?

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:07 am »
yup, forget this 'you could be a tooth out' stuff on the timing - as stated above, once the distributor is in then you move the casing around the shaft to get the timing right - the only time you need to move the dist one tooth is if you don't have enough room around the casing to move it far enough so that the timing is right.

However, that being said, you did say that you cannot move the casing far enough to set the timing right because the car won't idle? I suggest that because you haven't found the cause yet, start working on a couple of the other things you know aren't right - pull the dizzy and move it a tooth or two so that you COULD set the timing correctly if the car would idle. You never know what things are causing the issue until you start to eliminate stuff. Have you done a compression test to rule out anything to do with the mechanicals of the engine - valves being held open etc?

So, next step after that, pull the Pertronics module and try just running points. then try the hands over the carb to see if it dies (I don't think that this is your issue, but it costs nothing to try this stuff) or runs. Try the trick with a little 3-in-one oil bottle (or similar) of dribbling fuel down the mouth of the carb was you wind the idle down (I did this with a Humber 80 when I was a youngster, and it worked!! Hands up if you remember a Humber 80!) and that will tell you if it's the carb causing issues or not. Caution - have a spare pair of hands helping you with this, and have a fire extinguisher handy - JUST IN CASE!

You need to be able to find the direction of the issue - carb/fuel, air or spark..
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:20 pm »
Petronics are very critical of the earth.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 09:12:09 am »
Thanks everyone. Sorry for going MIA but I have had to back burner this for the last week or so due to a death in the extended family. Hope to get back to it in the next couple of days.

Just to clarify some things:

you did say that you cannot move the casing far enough to set the timing right because the car won't idle? I suggest that because you haven't found the cause yet, start working on a couple of the other things you know aren't right - pull the dizzy and move it a tooth or two so that you COULD set the timing correctly if the car would idle.

I am restricted from retarding it to BTDC, ie TDC is as retarded as I can get it, by the temp sender but can advance it pretty much as far as I like. That said, rather than pulling the dizzy I'll pull the temp sender and plug it with a flat plug to enable turning the dizzy both ways just to eliminate this.

So, next step after that, pull the Pertronics module and try just running points.

No, the Pertronix I referred to is in the old motor, never been in the new one which came with a new electronic dizzy. I confess that it is one of those cheap Chinese ones which I didn't realise the implications of when I bought the engine but I replaced the module with a Bosch one on advice from this forum (Shaunp I think) before the engine even went in the car.
[/quote]

then try the hands over the carb to see if it dies (I don't think that this is your issue, but it costs nothing to try this stuff) or runs.

Done this, makes no difference. Vac gauge indicates good and steady vacuum.

You need to be able to find the direction of the issue - carb/fuel, air or spark..

Yes I do and I reckon it's spark.

I really appreciate everyone's input. Should be back out in the garage continuing the hunt in the next couple of days.

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 10:55:14 pm »
lol the mystery continues...if this keeps going i reckon everyone on here will be at your place working on the problem lol

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »
After some time back in the garage today on this project I have two things to report:

1. Problem seems to be solved, car now idles at 650 - 700 happily.

2. For those of you in Melbourne, the red glow you can see on the skyline towards the south east is my extreme embarrassment.

Those who have been along for the ride from the beginning may recall me saying this:

I do have 12 volts continuous to the coil with engine running

I was so confident of this I repeated it a bit later. Well guess what?

I decided to go back to basics, not assume anything and just work through everything that had been suggested again. Starting with my own first post I noticed what I'd said about coil voltage and thought well lets check that again and rule it out. Not expecting to find anything other than what I'd confidently said I couldn't believe it when the multi meter showed only 8.8 volts.

I thought I had very clear memories of doing exactly this multi meter test  when I first got the car and seeing 12 volts. Apparently I imagined this. There is a relay on the fender apron next to the solenoid  and a Pertonix in the dizzy on the old motor and I have been happily assuming this relay was providing 12 volts to the coil triggered by the resistor wire. Not so. Not now sure what this relay is doing but there is a kill switch under the dash and the engine cranks but won't start with it off so think it may be interrupting the brown wire that provides 12 volts to the coil while cranking only. I'll figure this out later. The other mystery is why the Pertronix in the old motor was apparently happy but that's probably in the "who cares" category now.

So I rigged up a simple jumper wire to the coil with an alligator clip on the other end to connect direct to battery positive. With this in place I was able to wind the idle speed down to more normal rpm and we're all good. Needs some tuning from here and road testing but  I'll wire up a more permanent solution either with a relay triggered by the resistor wire or just bypass it from the ignition switch side of the resistor.

As noted, I am very embarrassed at this discovery and apologise for wasting everyone's time. It just goes to show that assuming anything and relying on memory is risky at best.  Thanks again to all who took the time to offer suggestions and once again my apologies.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 07:28:39 pm »
That's good to hear ,I had a camaro with the same problem last year ,it would die under about 1,100 revs ,yep didn't have 12v . I didn't say anything because said it had 12volts . Anyway all fixed now and you have a smile on your dial for sure . :thumb:

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 11:57:33 pm »
Geoff, good to hear you worked it out.  It had to be one of the basics.   :therethere:

Online evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 07:18:19 am »
Well done Geoff, we've all been there at some point.
Melbourne's finally putting on the great weather so you're just in time to enjoy it!

Evan.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2014, 09:27:49 am »
Cool - don't stress, embarrassment costs noting to fix...
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline MACH_ONE

• Worked
  • torque to me
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 06:36:15 pm »
Glad its figured out mate....embarrassment pfft...mate this is embarrassing to admit .... I Hi pressured cleaned my engine bay in my Old Commodore. Usually I'm extremely careful, I had the engine running and it just died...ah crap I cry water in the dizzy no probs..after I wiped everything down...I went to start it still nothing...painless hours of trying to start it...but yet there was spark... ah crap I must have killed something in the electronic circuit on the dizzy...ok Ill buy a new dizzy....1 week later I put the new one in.... tried to fire the car up.....nothing....I still had spark but still nothing.... fuel was all good...why in the hell isnt it firing up?????...what the hell is wrong with this???? I know...Ive bought a dud dizzy...ring ring you have sold me a dud! ...1 week again goes by another new dizzy comes...ok lets try this one...again nothing...I`m like WTF???????????? (swearing deleted)....So I go searching the internet  I go on forums I can not work this out nothing makes sense everything is correct all the wiring is going where it should be on the coil 2 leads off the dizzy neg and positive how hard can this be....check for breaks in the wires yep all good made sure all wires are connected where they should be yep all good...Then I see it....another wire laying near the fire wall...hmm whats this?...whoops that's the negative wire for the kill switch.

2 dizzys later there was nothing wrong with my original dizzy I knocked the wire off my coil  :thumb: When I pressured cleaned it.... :ouch:

So your not the only one but in my defense I had a few wires hanging off the coil but still
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:41:28 pm by MACH_ONE »

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2014, 02:45:50 pm »
Well just to rule a line under this - car went off to the exhaust place on a tow truck and I drove it home, first time it's been on the road since April. Even though the new engine is a pretty mild 5.0 roller it feels like it has about twice the horsepower of the very tired old 289. Happy camper here! I'll get it properly tuned on a dyno in due course.

Just for you Melbourne guys, I took it to Richard at Rowville Exhausts on the recommendation of a few people on this forum and want to add my endorsement. He has done an awesome job at a very reasonable price. A real craftsman.