Import to NSW from CA

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Import to NSW from CA  (Read 9049 times)

Offline 3XXX316

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
Import to NSW from CA
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:44:35 am »
I'm looking at importing my '68 convertible (that I've owned since I was 15) from California to New South Wales.  The car has significant sentimental value and is in pristine condition so  I'd like to find a reputable import agency to bring it over.  From the chat in this form I've only read about people to avoid (motormentor, classicUSAimports, etc). 

Can anyone recommend a good import agency that ships from CA to NSW?

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: Import to NSW from CA
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:55:04 am »
I can happily recommend John Cain. I've used him for two cars out of California to Newcastle in NSW. He's brought many other parts and things over for me since as well.

He's straight up with no messing around. He takes care of the whole lot for you. Just drop it off to him and wait for the phone call to come and get it from him.

http://www.classic-usa-cars.com/

EDIT: - Just realised you are in Newcastle too. John is at Belmont.  :thumb:
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Michael H

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:01:07 pm »
Definitely use Cainy, he's been doing it forever and is a top bloke. The wharehouse in Orange CA are the same. Your pride & joy will be safe.

Offline matman

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Matt
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:30:16 am »
Give Cindy a call at Californian Image, they brought in my `84 Chevy Van, `76 Eldo Conv, `77 Firebird and `64/65 Mustang all safe and sound.
http://www.calimage.com.au
cheers Matman

Offline ScottW

• Worked
  • Fence Sitter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:38:24 am »
Give Cindy a call at Californian Image

They are located sunshine coast and would ship to Brisbane, so not much use if he's in sydney.

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:04:10 pm »
Another vote for John Cain.  He has imported 2 mustangs and numerous parts for me and i couldn't be happier with his service.  He has been in the game for over 30 years and his son runs the Orange CA side of the business.  Has an upfront fee and no bull$hit.  Just be ready for a good yarn when you pick the car up!! :grin:

Offline mark.wright

• Stallion
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:49:30 am »
Ive used Taurus a couple of times, never had any dramas or damage

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:01:02 pm »
Yep, John Cain. Pick up your car from his place near Newcastle. Good guy who knows what he's doing. - just don't expect to know when your car is here til he rings you and yells at you why you haven't picked it up already!  :grin:
IMG

Offline Giffo

• Worked
  • LIFE IS A MUSTANG
  • Name: Steve G
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 03:19:36 pm »
Slightly off the track, I used John Cain to import a swim platform for my USA built Four Winns boat. Great bloke and cheap too. Very reliable. Recommended.
2002 MUSTANG COBRA - 4.6 SVT 5 SPEED - CONVERTIBLE.
Lowered Kings Springs, 3.73 diff gears, JTG CAI,  18" ROVOS DURBAN RIMS. MGW Short Shifter.  Slotted brake rotors. 2 1/2" SS Exhaust with Magnaflow high flow cats and mufflers.

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
  • Not a bogan, but I like dem big V8's!
  • Name: Hugh
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 02:33:17 pm »
In my pre importing comm's both USA to AUS and Shermatt were both nice to deal with. Helpful and polite and never a hard sell tried on me.
I did also hear that John Cain was good, I just preferred to use someone in VIC. In hindsight I wished I'd used any of them, (or someone else from the recommendations above).

However from my own very frustrating experience I can agree with the inclusion of the 2nd on the list of those to avoid that you mentioned at the start. IMHO very poor communications, months of unjustifiable delays, woeful organisation and an apparently total unwillingness to take responsibility for the mistakes and damages made by his chosen agents. (not to mention stiffing me on the insurance claim for shipping damages...).

I travel for a job, (inc. to where my car was), and have done a bit of overseas shipping before. And I am sure I would have done a far better job on my own, and now wish I had. I could go on... But I won't as I don't want the administrators to have more dramas over him. Apparently he is happier to expend resources on lawyers to threaten the MOC forum, instead of fixing his mistakes. (or preventing them in the first place). I am still having problems with him months after belatedly getting the car and the next stop is the lawyer. (BTW anyone reading this whose had similar problems I would be happy to hear from you).

I searched for him here before I signed, but alas the numerous posts on this business had been taken down by administrators due to threatened legal action. All I can say is - be warned! Anyone who wants details can PM me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:38:38 pm by mungus »
Grumpy old git!