wanting to buy 1968 Mustang - help

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: wanting to buy 1968 Mustang - help  (Read 15283 times)

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
Re: wanting to buy 1968 Mustang - help
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2014, 04:56:00 pm »
Yep, rust bubbles already, shouldn't look like that!!!; if it was originally a vinyl roof car then there's clear evidence of typical problems already. And if the roof is rusty, what's the rest of the body like where these cars normally suffer from rust? A shiny new paint job can hide plenty of heartache.
I'd take the collective advice from everyone on this forum & drop this car like a hot potato, forget it. You'll be glad you did later. Let the vendor find some other mug to buy it.
As many here have pointed out there are plenty of cars that already have rego etc, so bide your time, attend shows, join the Mustang club & keep your money deep in your pocket until the right car comes up. Be prepared to pay a little more for a far better car with the right credentials from a bona fide seller. It could be another club member, or an importer with established cred that other club members & Mustang owners can recommend personally.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2014, 09:16:31 pm »
If it's specifically a '68 you want, I jumped onto Carsales NSW and there is a nice metallic Lime Gold '68 J code 302, RHD full road reg (68coop) for $20k. It wouldn't cost more than 1 or 2 K to do an interstate re registration and being RHD conversion, Regency aren't anywhere so picky. Just a thought in case you're interested. Outside the box is sometimes a good place to look.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2014, 09:56:33 pm »
Hope the owner is not on here because i dont think i would buy it ,its got no export brace fitted ,and thats not good for the towers or front end .Its also LHD not RHD .

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2014, 09:57:42 pm »
listen to chops advice about the roof he knows all to well about vinyl roofs and rust on his 68
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2014, 10:18:28 pm »
Just dropped in on this thread.
Take the advice of the guys here mate and drop that one.
The best advice I would offer is be patient. It takes time to find a good car, and when you do you will be happy.
When you do find others, run them through here and you will get experienced advice as you have on this one.

Offline agillies84

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Adam Gillies
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2014, 10:41:40 pm »
Thanks guys, although not the advice i wanted to hear. Lol.

I understand where you are all coming from, and with all this information im sure I will eventually find a good one.

It was just handy as he was going to swap it for my car.
now i'll sell my car first, and can put a bit more money towards one.

Thanks again, hopefully ill be back shortly with another one to look at.

Offline agillies84

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Adam Gillies
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2014, 11:13:43 am »
Hi Everyone,

I spoken to Kim T ( boss351) and he is going to have a quick look at it with me.

Chances are its crap, BUT, I'm going to watch and have a look at what Kym looks at. For a small price it will be very educational.

plus I can come back and let you know how bad / good / horrible etc it was.

Cheers

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2014, 11:20:37 am »
The fact that it was a vinyl top car means it's likly rust along the drip rails, and roof edges. I've fix a few including my own car, which was totaly rust free apart from this. It's not for the faint hearted to do it properly ie a new roof cut or repair what you have, you have to make the bitts including the drip rails and roof edges. There are pictures in my build thread. Your average panel shop will duck for cover. You have to fix it correctly

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,4261.50.html
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:28:33 am by shaunp »

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2014, 06:10:42 pm »
It might be crap. - but you don't know til you look so glad you are taking someone with you.

As for 68-COOP, that is about 5 minutes from my place. Haven't seen the car up close, but it looks the goods. Happy to have a look for you if you want. I even have a mate who can stick it up on a hoist. Good price!
IMG