Importing a Mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing a Mustang  (Read 5207 times)

Offline beeraclock500

• L Plates
Importing a Mustang
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:35:36 am »
Would I be better going to LA to look at and buy my Convertible or trusting an exporter. What do all these codes mean. any probs in registering a car that does not have standard fittings like another motor. Should I convert to RHD? can Power breaks and steer be added in Aus.?
I'am only a  new member and would like to learn as much as poss. age 69 thanks John.

Offline blackbox

• Worked
Importing a Mustang
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:22:45 am »
Beer o clock,
Its a matter of what you prefer. I was in LA and bought my car there.
You should either find someone who can find you a car over there or go yourself. I have heard good and bad stories about trusting someone else.
Either way, buy your car from LA. It is easier to transport home and they never used salt to break up the ice on the roads like some other states so the car is less likely to be rusty.
The codes are just the VIN number. It will tell you where your car was made, what year etc etc and importantly what engine it left the factory with.
For example if you here someone  say it is a C code car that just means that car left the factory with a 289 2V V8.
There is a lot more you can tell from the VIN and also the tag on the LH door jamb. (if they still match...)
If you spend some time going back through the old topics in this forum you will learn alot.

Good Luck.

James.

Offline sydneyboy

• P Plates
Importing a Mustang
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:38:00 am »
As jamessydney said would be be best to go to LA to choose own car. If can't do this can provide name of mustang enthusiast and mechanic based in LA. Look in "craigslist" and ebay for an idea of what is available but relativlely few convertables  compared to coupes.

If interested could possibly share a container with you to reduce shippling costs. I propose to bring cars in 40 foot container early next year, will take 3 cars and  some bikes and preared to split costs