Cork or rubber gaskets ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Cork or rubber gaskets ?  (Read 7241 times)

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
Cork or rubber gaskets ?
« on: December 26, 2013, 12:54:35 pm »
Hi guys, I have a another irritating minor oil leak and am looking at replacing the old cork valve cover gaskets. Just wondering what most of you are using - cork or rubber and if there is an advantage or preference of one over the other? I have only used cork previously but I am looking at the Fel-pro PermaDryPlus gaskets which are rubber with a rigid metal centre as described in the following link.

http://aftermarket.federalmogul.com/en-US/Brands/Fel-Pro/Pages/Product-Details.aspx?BrandId=49&SubCategoryId=34&ProductId=524#.UruGz_QW39s

Has anyone used these? Or is better to stick with the cork or plain rubber Fel-pro gaskets. I have a 289 with the original pressed steel valve covers.

Thanks for any info. Cheers, Andrew

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: Cork or rubber gaskets ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:33:59 pm »
Andrew, from my own experience, ditch the cork. Even the front and valley ones if you ever do an intake swap.

I'm not sure what brands I've used in the past, most likely Felpro. But a rubber rocker cover gasket did the job.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 05:39:03 pm »
Hello,
Use the 5.0 EFI gaskets they never leak And are re-usable.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 06:00:25 pm »
Plenty of gasket goo!! (Oil, fuel, water and heat resistant!)
From my experience cork gaskets work perfectly fine.... When you remember to smear a bit of gasket goo on either side! :ouch:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:13:09 pm by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:47:05 pm »
Andrew, from my own experience, ditch the cork.

Cheers Ash, I'll give the rubber gaskets a try and see how they go. Ordered  the Fel-pro PermaDryPlus  gaskets and also a valve cover stud kit from Trick Flow to make the install job a bit easier.  :smile01:

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 11:56:59 am »
Andrew, I would firstly check the valve covers. If both surfaces are square then you shouldn't have a problem. You will find that if you have the stamped oe steel covers, then that will more than likely be a problem, and the leak could be even worse with them if they are not perfectly square using the rubber...I would check the valve covers first !

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:27:41 pm »
Don't over do the sealant !! It will eventually make it's way into the sump & get sucked up to the oil pump pickup gauze 

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 01:43:43 pm »
Andrew, I would firstly check the valve covers. If both surfaces are square then you shouldn't have a problem. You will find that if you have the stamped oe steel covers, then that will more than likely be a problem, and the leak could be even worse with them if they are not perfectly square using the rubber...I would check the valve covers first !

Thanks Al, I'll have a good look at the valve covers when I get them off. If they're out of square that might be an opportunity to get some new valve covers and dress the engine bay up a bit.  :thumb:

Don't over do the sealant !! It will eventually make it's way into the sump & get sucked up to the oil pump pickup gauze 

The advice with the rubber gaskets with the metal core is not to use sealant at all.  :shrug:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 01:54:50 pm »
Yep no sealant on rubber ones, I normally just use a small amount contact adhesive on them to hold them on the rocker covers. Need to be very careful with RTV sealants any time, most people use heaps, it just squeezes out and end up blocking up the oil pick up. The secret to any gasket glue is to have clean surface ie no oil anywhere, I wipe faces with tinners first, carby cleaner etc works as well, spotless oil free, and glue won't leak.

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 02:05:34 pm »
Thanks Shaun, I'll give all the surfaces a good clean with some carby cleaner.  :thumb:

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:44:18 am »
I just used one of those felpro gaskets to fit my new sump to 351W. Haven't put any oil in to leak test it yet but but was told to use a small amount of gasket goo which I did. The thing I really liked about the felpro is it came with 4 studs that you screw in either end on the block. These then become locating guides so you don't smear gasket goop everywhere while fitting the gasket. The fact that felpro supply these with the gaskets makes me think they would use gasket goo too?

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 10:55:49 pm »
What about pan gaskets for my C4? Rubber or cork? Are they generally reusable?  I'm going to need one straight after summernats and not sure where to get it from -repco?
67 Convertible

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:37 pm »
skev ,just use a cork gasket on the pan .Repco or just go to any trans shop and get a filter as well .On the valve covers i use fel pro rubber ,but cork is as good ,but dont over tighten ,and that goes for the pan as well .

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 08:19:40 am »
Thanks Glen, I've already got a new filter , it came with the valve body I bought to replace the 65/66 one fitted to my 67. Am going to change it straight after summernats in case something goes wrong.
67 Convertible

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 09:00:35 am »
skev ,SUMMERNATS REALLY ,i remember going to that it was the 2 nd one i think 1986 ,myself and quite a few mates drove our hotted up cars down from QLD ,and i drove my 69 mach 1 .Another one i went to was 1988 i think in my blue 69 mach 1 . The last time was in 1989 i think again ,was a long time ago ,and every time we use to go out late at night street racing .   :burnout:    :toetapping: those days are gone . :cry:

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 03:59:11 pm »
I haven't.been before, staying at a friends place and going on the Friday, which apparently is the day for grown-ups   :lol:.
67 Convertible

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:56 pm »
greg, I've got the parts here if you need them. Saturday is the eye opener day.  There will be quite a few of us going down for the day on the Saturday, a mix of us from the Saturday night cruises. Should be a fun day

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 08:24:02 pm »
I'll,take you up,on the gasket Al, probably not til Monday if that's ok? Are you taking your mustang down?
67 Convertible

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 10:36:00 pm »
No, I wont take my car near that lunatic asylum. Just going for a look. Speak to you then

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 10:47:10 pm »
Are you talking about summernats ,even years ago when i took my mach 1 down ,the crowd would stop you and if you did not do a burn out they would kick your panels in ,.nice bunch .Herd things have got much better these days ,trying to make it a family thing and security is ever where .Have a good time guys .,\

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 06:25:58 am »
Yes glenn, they are still crazy. Most of them don't have cars and get on the drink frm the time they get up till the time they go to sleep.