When to call it quits .....

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: When to call it quits .....  (Read 15642 times)

Online evan

• Blue Printed
Re: When to call it quits .....
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 12:01:29 pm »
Most of us don't buy classic cars as a reliable form of transport. If that's what you're after, buy a Commodore/Falcon, etc. These cars are our hobby. Most of us will over capitalise & that's fine. For me, simply driving a car is not a hobby. It's about taking a tired old piece of junk & transforming it into something I can be proud of. The driving part is the icing on the cake. Unless you take Shaun's approach & make every single part of the car new again, there will always be something to do. I don't think I will ever finish my car 100% which is what makes it the perfect hobby.

If you're ready to call it quits, maybe you weren't all that passionate about it in the first place? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with wanting to drive around in a cool car. Unfortunately, a 50 year old cool car comes at a price!

If you do give it away, I wish you all the best in finding something that better suits your needs.

Evan.

Offline Michael2009

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 12:08:24 pm »
Thanks Evan, you are probably right, I will let it go. There was an advertisement in the paper yesterday we buy old cars, I think I will give them a call and get rid of it. Thanks again.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »
There was an advertisement in the paper yesterday we buy old cars

Do NOT sell it to them, they're either a scrap yard or wreckers and will give you bottom dollar.

Put it in Carsales, etc. and try selling it on this forum, give it to a good home without getting ripped off.

s

Online evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 03:42:24 pm »
I agree. Just because you're over it, doesn't mean that others should take advantage. Take your time & sell it for a fair price that you're happy with.

Good luck,

Evan.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 04:24:51 pm »
Another thing, I know people with much newer cars that are going through the same thing ... and the repairs are just as costly if not more.

If you decide to get another classic make sure it was recently restored, a good one will be expensive but much less headache.

s

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
  • Name: George
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »
you should get some interest from prospective buyers as you've owned it for 20 years. It's most likely been well looked after and buyers are always on the lookout for good cars. I agree with others. Let it sit for a little and then try sell.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 03:07:42 pm »
Then again if you wanna just give it away i will be happy to take it off your hands, with all faults if any!

Luvhev :grin:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 07:11:28 pm »
I bought a Mustang, needed some money and sold it a few months later, got my money back but near cried as it drove down the road without me. I missed it so much I started looking for a replacement and found it in America on ebay. It was Springtime Yellow and not my favourite colour but I thought a stripe might break it up a bit.

Thinking i had buy of the century I couldn't wait to pay for it and concrete the deal, storage was running out so I had to be quick and pay for my baby. In the list of what it needs and doesn't need I was told there was 12 inches of rust in a frame rail, he had the steel and I could weld it myself. That was kind of true there was not much rust, just big holes and some timber where the rust used to be.

BLA BLA BLA BLA, Then I showed it to my mate Bob, No problem for Bob, nothing a truck load of parts and a few years couldn't fix

Then he turned it into a right hand drive,

i worked late into the night often, until midnight doing what I could, recovering seats, stripping old paint , all the jobs set aside for the boy, Just kept going and going and now my car looks like this

The beautiful thing about your Mustang is it is yours, No other car will ever be the same, Once you realise the blessing bestowed upon us chosen keepers of the vintage you would never dare to ask if it is time to quit.

1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline Michael2009

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 02:35:07 pm »
After it has ben sitting for a while I thaught I would regain my interest but could not stand the site of it. Had it advertised and had a few tyre kickers but nothing. Then after a few more months with no interest I finally called the people in the paper who buy cars, they came over and it is now gone. I am glad it is finally gone and I don't have to look at it again.

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 05:59:10 pm »
well thats that then , maybe you weren't really mean't to be a muscle car person , i can tell ya there have been days when i could have walked done to the shed and smashed my fastback up to a pulp it could be so frustrating but then i think about when it will be finished and cruising, anyway, good luck for the future michael hope you find the right car to fire your passion
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 06:00:17 pm »
Why didn't you list it on the forum, I'm sue a member would have been reasonable and taken it off your hands.

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 07:05:46 pm »
....never.
IMG

Offline mustang_talk

• Worked
  • Name: George
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 07:20:23 pm »
....never.

+1..... Unless better half says so  :grin:

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 07:45:24 pm »
What I was getting at, if you find a friend in the club to give you a hand with the labour the cost can be pretty cheap and can also save a heap.  Where are you ? You might find that a new best mate is just around the corner?  Mac

Yep, a quick listing in here might have make all the difference...  Good luck with whatever you do.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 08:31:18 pm »
Time to quit is when my toes are permanently pointed up, not before.

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 09:52:20 pm »
:agree:
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 11:01:27 pm »

:agree:
I think I'll start selling organs or blood before I sell my Mustang! - And probably only to buy a second Mustang... :fingerx:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline Audrey

• Stallion
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »
I have had my stang for about 6 years now.... was handpainted (with a brush in some parts LOL) in turquoise... and after 6 years and have stopped counting the money thrown into it... my dream car is about 90% complete and gives me the greatest satisfaction when I open the shed door and see it there.
In saying that, there were thrown tools, many tears (after all I am female) and in the end I needed more help than I wanted, and by golly it burnt a hole in my pocket... but its all part of it... I believe the money doesn't matter if it is something you love.. yes its an expensive hobby - but I think any hobby you are involved in will get expensive at some stage! There is nothing like the love you have for your car... its like any relationship really.. there is always going to be something wrong with it (lol) but if you love it/her/him enough you will get through it and look past the faults and set backs :)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 03:35:06 pm »
I finally called the people in the paper who buy cars, they came over and it is now gone.

I'm sorry to hear that Michael, they would've given you bottom dollar for it too.

Hopefully you'll get back on the pony and save your readies to buy something reliable.  Every second hand car is going to cost you money, for the least amount of headache, try to buy one recently restored.

Modifications can also get you in a bit of trouble if not done properly - I forked out a small fortune for a hydraulic clutch on my car after the clutch cable snapped, it was originally an auto, all running smooth now but it was off the road for a few months there.

s

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 05:50:40 pm »
I have had my stang for about 6 years now.... was handpainted (with a brush in some parts LOL) in turquoise... and after 6 years and have stopped counting the money thrown into it... my dream car is about 90% complete and gives me the greatest satisfaction when I open the shed door and see it there.
In saying that, there were thrown tools, many tears (after all I am female) and in the end I needed more help than I wanted, and by golly it burnt a hole in my pocket... but its all part of it... I believe the money doesn't matter if it is something you love.. yes its an expensive hobby - but I think any hobby you are involved in will get expensive at some stage! There is nothing like the love you have for your car... its like any relationship really.. there is always going to be something wrong with it (lol) but if you love it/her/him enough you will get through it and look past the faults and set backs :)
Back at you, Audrey. I'm in the hole for near 70K, almost finished, and loving the tits off it! COST DON'T COUNT