Flywheel condition

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Flywheel condition  (Read 10792 times)

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
Re: Flywheel condition
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:11 pm »
Looks good :smile01: :smile01: :smile01:
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 08:24:43 pm »
351 are all 28 oz, not uncommon to see cast flywheels with surface cracks in them, Red motors were bad for it, they also get hard spots in them. In practice once you surface grind them they are ok, on a stock engine that you are not revving the pills out of.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 08:47:28 pm »
It came up pretty good. Some small signs of the old cracks but if the guys that machined it weren't worried, either was I.

It's not an engine that sees a lot of revs, Shaun. So no concern there. It doesn't really ever see past 4 grand.

Got it all back together, wow that was fun. A lot of people have played with this truck over the years and put odd bits and pieces all over from old F-trucks. Lots of little hassles.

Fired her up, beautiful. Idles nice and smooth so am happy. Touched the clutch pedal, a bit of a bearing noise and not engaging properly. Soon realise that the arm isn't throwing all the way out. The slave cylinder is brand new but all of a sudden the master cylinder has crapped itself and isn't holding pressure. A week later, I finally got the right rebuild kit today. I had one arrive earlier in the week but when I got it I soon found out the truck has an older F100 unit in it. My truck is an F150. Another  :ouch: moment.

If the rain storms back off tomorrow, I'll get it back in and try it all out.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 09:03:58 pm »
Ash, you put a new spiget bush in hey ,thats if you spell it that way .

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 09:08:22 pm »
Yep, the original was a roller needle but the supplied replacement was a sealed bearing. Didn't quite use a whole slice of bread to knock out the old.
No noise from it, it's quiet as a mouse. It's the new throwout bearing that was making a bit of noise when you touch the pedal. Not 100% sure if it has an issue yet as the hydraulics were playing up so will give it some time to see.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 12:38:20 pm »
EDIT: Jiffy has deleted his post so this wont make a lot of sense.

Jiffy, it's all back together and running very smoothly. Everything now in the clutch components, except the master cylinder hard components and the hardline, are brand new.
The throw out bearing noise went away after a heat cycle too.

I do understand what you are saying. If the machine shop didn't see a concern, then I was ok to use it. From what they and the person who supplied the clutch told me, they were typical. I'm only going from what I was told.

I don't know if it has ever seen 5,000rpm. I'm lucky to take it past 3,000rpm most of the time. It cruises at 2,500rpm on the freeway and the power delivery is all torque so I drive it off idle, there's no need to rev it. If my kids are in it, which doesn't happen that often as it has no A/C and the booster seats are a pain in the arse to put in with the folding seat back, the speed limit in town in only 50kph so again, no need to rev it. The truck is more of a tool box on wheels. I have 3 other cars to use with the kids as they, except the Mustang, will seat the 4 kids where the truck wont.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:40:39 pm by Ash »