Restored and then...C4 tranny noises?!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Restored and then...C4 tranny noises?!  (Read 5974 times)

Offline sambo_raven

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Restored and then...C4 tranny noises?!
« on: July 27, 2013, 06:28:13 am »
Hi guys, I'm pretty new on here... just to let you know I've almost completed a restoration on my 67 coupe... well, almost?!

Anyway it has a late model 302 in it with holley 650 carby, edelbrock manifold, msd ignition, etc.... A few restomods. Along with a funky paintjob which I'm not sure on  :leaving:

All was going fantastically well until, I start here up for the first time and she's running beautifully. Then! Putting her into drive to move her out of the garage and theres a nasty grinding noise coming from the C4 auto box. Back into park and there's no noise. In Drive, Reverse 1st and 2nd there is this nasty nasty grinding/knocking noise. It makes the noise when in gear, even without the car moving with my foot on the brake.

I've given the c4 a service with new oil and filter and there's quite a few (...a lot...) metal shavings in the pan.

My 2 thoughts are... band adjustments. Or, torque converter.

Anyone any ideas? I'm hoping I can solve the issue rather than putting another c4 up into it!

Thanks for any help  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:36:55 am by sambo_raven »

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
Re: Restored and then...C4 tranny noises?!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:18:03 am »
I would be getting the trans seen to professionally. After all, if you've restored the car, why use a dodgy transmission. Do it right, and only have to do it once. Nice looking coupe. I'm sure the paint will grow on you. I think a gold pinstripe between the red and black would be a nice touch and would finish the paint job off nicely... Welcome and happy Mustanging!
Cheers, Ron B

Offline sambo_raven

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 07:02:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I'm planning on having a professional look at it, however I wanted to identify the problem area first, so I could perhaps save money by pulling the tranny out myself.

Gold pin stripe- Someone said that to me the other day!! I'll get the mechanics good first then look into it  :smile01:

The coupe does drive forwards and backwards with absolutely no dramas... well, except for the nasty nails-on-blackboard noise. So I'm starting to think it is more likely the bands.

What sort of prices would it be to have some adjust them or even look at it?

:cheers:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 07:38:28 pm »
Your c4 is toast ,any crap in the pan other than a little sludge its good by auto .The converter will need splitting also to clean out . Depending on the damage already done around 850 bucks .    :shrug:  till its stripped .

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 07:56:15 pm »
I had a fully recoed one installed for $1250 about 18 months ago. Supplied to my mechanic from Sydney.

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:04:14 pm »
Kind of...Joker is reversed colours red sides, matt/satin black uppers

Offline sambo_raven

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 09:31:22 pm »
ha yeah does look a little like the joker! I'm still unsure on the colours but theres no more money spare for a new coat.

Im back from work on wednesday so ill pull the transmission out then and start crying.

Time to look for a guy in the Gold Coast who can rebuild a C4 for cheap I guess!  :thud:

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 10:32:43 pm »
Worse case scenario, you may find someone on the forum with one in good nick that they may sell to you for a reasonable cost.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 04:55:34 am »
I will ask a mate of mine about a rebuild ,on the Gold coast also .

Offline sambo_raven

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 07:27:06 am »
Worse case scenario, you may find someone on the forum with one in good nick that they may sell to you for a reasonable cost.

Yeah I've been offered a rebuilt one for a grand already. Want to see if I can have mine fixed for less first.. Good back up plan though.

I will ask a mate of mine about a rebuild ,on the Gold coast also .

That would be awesome! Thanks mate

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »
It can be like opening a can of worms ,you wont know till its stripped .Is it a stock engine ,because the rebuild on box will depend on this price wise .

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 08:05:21 pm »
hey sambo-raven
i agree with glenn, the trans is toast and will have more metal throughout it than a rapper's bling collection.
i just did a full rebuild on my c4 myself with top shelf parts for my own amusement, a standard rebuild or exchange will easily exceed the $1000+, as others have suggested get a good second hand box via the forum. either way youre up for some $'s my friend (but hey at least its not an XY falcon where you can add a zero onto the price for bits!!!)
re your paint scheme, seeing theres a modest amount of chrome feature on your reverse joker(haha) id go with a 1/8" chrome pinstripe tapered from the front to tie it in with the bars, rims and grille etc. if you were in sydney id do one side for you to see how it looks.  (then the other side would be twice the cost - trust me ive a graphics business :evilone:)
cheers

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:07:45 pm by griff »
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline sambo_raven

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:36 pm »
Yeah It's a bugger... Toasted c4 box is what I feared.

You reckon it's a better idea to just go find a good c4 box somewhere rather than have it rebuilt?

Griff- I'd take you up on the one pin stripe... but then I'd just close my left eye and be happy  :thumb:

All this work on the mustang, unfortunately I have to sell it when it's complete. A combined effort of unemployment, bank debt, fees, loan repayments etc...  :ouch: At least I'll get to have some time in it before it goes...

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 09:24:19 pm »
Yes track down a second hand one ,if you find one with trans fluid in it, check it is  nice and red and smell it also to check that its not burnt or water in it . If its empty take the pan off and make sure its got no metal in the bottom .

Offline sambo_raven

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 09:30:24 pm »
Sounds a plan. Cheers for the advice. I'll start looking tomorrow.

Glenn 70 - You're in the GC.. any advice to go to any breakers? I'll probably check with Christian up at Gold Coast Mustang..

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 09:40:30 pm »
Go see christian 1st ,wreckers wont have them .I know someone with one 4 sale but i dont know how to contact him ,only see him a car shows .

Offline sambo_raven

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 01:03:29 pm »
Cheers Glenn, Christian had a C4 for me. But just got to find a torque converter now... any ideas?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 04:55:47 pm »
Hunt around some auto trans shops ,Russels etc ,ask Lex at the oxenford shop 1st ,tell him glenn with the mustang sent you .