ACT Rego Dilemma

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: ACT Rego Dilemma  (Read 7617 times)

Offline MustangMedic

• Worked
Re: ACT Rego Dilemma
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 06:51:01 am »
Like Moe says,
Go see the guys at the exhaust place and Mark at Capital Classics they will sort you out.At the end of the day the exhaust needs work and the bracket needs changing, if you need wheels you need to touch base with Moe, as he is the local wheel "whooor" if you like Simmons go speak to da man.....
Cheers,
Ash
Always work smarter not harder....

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 08:17:10 am »
Try Mark at capital,, if he doesn't i have quite a few of the brackets available. ?...Al

Offline Tezza0438

• Stallion
  • MOCA NSW (ACT) Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 08:28:24 am »
Thanks for all the advice and offers of assistance...I have been amazed by the friendliness and willingness to help complete strangers... Thank you.

I hope that over time I can return the favour.

I will let you know how I go...if only this thing called work didn't get in my way!

Cheers
1966 Convertible; Tahoe Turquoise.

Offline Tezza0438

• Stallion
  • MOCA NSW (ACT) Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 06:49:32 pm »
Well I battled the weather and took the Mustang to Roadway Mufflers this morning....it got wet :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain: :cry:

Glen was not there, but his offsider was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. He agreed that one option would be to raise suspension and / or bigger wheels & tyres, but in reality I wouldn't get the required lift from wheels and raising it 1.5 inches would be a backwards step.

He said he cold probably modify the existing long pipes to raise them up for approx $400, but a call to Glen changed that to nearly $1,000.

A new custom made set would be approx $1,500 according to Glen (via phone).

We had a look on Summit Racing website and picked out a few shorty header options.  I didn't go with the all singing, all dancing JBA Headers, but have ordered a pair of Hedman Hedders that should arrive in a week or 2. I may get them coated at a later date when I have a few spare fun tokens, at the moment I just need to get this passed Rego inspection.

Paid a visit to Capital Classics who had a standard steering ram bracket ready for me on the front counter at $20 - if I never use it then so be it, but pretty sure I will, even if the bracket is only 'just' below the 100mm requirement.

The hyperactive indicators were fixed with a new flasher unit.

Thanks for all the help..

:cheers:

Offline Ausjacko

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 10:28:38 am »
Hi Tezza
Only just reading this now which is a bit of a bugger.
Both my cars have the hooker supercomp headers  like those pictured and passed rego without issue. You have to have the pwr steering drop bracket with those hooker headers and it looks like you have the hooker bracket. 

If I were you, and I have been twice, fit a set of tractor tyres (I have a set here you can borrow) and go from there.  Alternatively, is there another spring set you can install to get you through rego? 
Did you go out on the Bungendore run a couple of months back?
Cheers
Jacko
1968 Fastback GT J-code
1967 GTA S-code coupe - 'Pink Bits'

Offline Tezza0438

• Stallion
  • MOCA NSW (ACT) Member
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 04:45:24 pm »
Thanks Jacko,

I did consider taller wheel/tyres but I think we all agreed that to get the required 1.5 inches of lift (to get the pipes to 100mm clearance) would require a ridiculously tall wheel/tyre, which would more than likely touch the wheel arch and suspension.

I could put some taller springs on just for Rego, but there is a fair bit of mucking around involved with that option. Then when I put the low springs back on, I have the problem of pipes scraping.

I think that fixing it once and for all is my best bet...the shorty extractors will do this.

I will probably sell the long pipes on E-Bay.

Cheers

Offline Tezza0438

• Stallion
  • MOCA NSW (ACT) Member
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 06:07:36 pm »
UPDATE.....

I had the re-test at Dickson today......passed with flying colours!!!

What did I do:

Indicators flashing too fast - replaced flasher unit ($20);

Headlights need realignment - watched a few YouTube videos, adjusted myself ($0);

Rear brake inbalance - mechanic checked and adjusted ($0) done as a freebie;

Front tyres slightly scrubbing on upper control arm - borrowed some narrower wheels /tyres (was 225/60/14, replaced with 215/65/14 from a local MOCA member) will put originals back on tomorrow....pumping up tyres stops scrubbing, but didn't want to take the risk.

Insufficient ground clearance - replaced full length headers with Hedman Headers Shortys ($163 header, $99 postage, $250 fitting) done by Glen at Roadway Mufflers. Also replaced extended steering ram bracket with standard bracket ($20) from Capital Classics.

Thanks to ALL on here who have provided advice.

Cheers.

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 06:22:13 pm »
Congratulations. See you on the road.

Dave
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)