Technical & General Discussion Area > Mustang Chat Room

2001-2002 Tickford Cobra Mustangs

<< < (2/4) > >>

stormin:
Bit of a correction on my earlier post. There was only 100 Cobras built in 2002. All RHD and all shipped to OZ. Tickfords site say that 250 Mustangs sold in Australia in 2001/2002.
Couldn't find any ref. as to how many were coupes and how many verts.
Stormin

jiffy:
As far as I know - of the Cobra's imported to Australia - ALL were LHD when sent, Ford US wouldn't have done the conversions, all were done by Tickford. There were 150 convertibles, 150 coupes, all were 5 speed cars, all were the same spec motor - 32V DOHC 4.6ltr. In the US, they released the Cobra in 2001 but not 2002, there is some skepticism in the US about us having 2002 Cobras, so a photo of the door sticker ends that conversation pretty quickly, and the remainder of the guys are very curious to see a 2002 Cobra, but when it turns out to be identical (apart from the steering wheel from what I can tell) then it's a bit ho-hum, especially when compared to the 03/04 Cobra....

Ausfox:
Extract below from the Yellow Mustang Registry: 

http://www.yellowmustangregistry.com/ProductionCobra.html

"*2002 Cobra NOTE: Officially, there were no 2002 Cobras produced in the US, but Ford's sales data shows 100 4-valve Cobras shipped to Australia as a special export batch in early '02. SVT has stated that they do not count these numbers in their totals but they were labeled as 2002 Models from Ford. These cars were exactly the same as the '01's except were made especially for Australia's standards (right hand drive, extra lights, etc.)."

Which is wrong as they were complete LHD cars with the only diffence being Jap Export front and rear Lights,

Interesting to note Ford still considered them 2002 models despite their build dates.

Ash:

--- Quote from: Ausfox on July 12, 2013, 02:03:43 pm ---Interesting to note Ford still considered them 2002 models despite their build dates.

--- End quote ---

This is the same as with many manufacturers. It ssems to be Australia that is different. In the motorcycle world, the new models start hitting show room floors around August. Some from August on, which is not far, you will be able to buy 2014 models.

Another example is Subaru, say they release a 2002 model but with a build date of 10/2001, the model will be labelled as an MY02.
If you walk in and say you have a 2001 model and ask for a part but they changed that part on the MY02 model, you will be supplied the wrong part.

I can not tell you how many times I've had this argument with people over the counter.  And typically the ones who get their back up the most is the ones whose mate told them so and their mate knows it all. CoughHalreyownerscough  :bolt:

stormin:
The Yanks start their models in the September the year before e.g   2002 car production started in Sept 2001. Aust cars start Jan 1.
Probably the only real way is to decode and see what day the car was actually produced.
Stormin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version