Fitting disc brakes

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Fitting disc brakes  (Read 20152 times)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Fitting disc brakes
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 08:41:12 am »
VH40 is the correct one, same as what HRs had, VH44 is a small one like a Mini cooper would have. My understanding with adjustable valves is that as long as they can not be adjusted by the driver it's legal, so I geuss it needs to have cover over it in the bay. But in any case I'm not keen one them, cause someone will always play with it sooner or later.

Offline big al

• Worked
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:34 am »
yes shaun, that I agree with. The only reason ford put one on the early mustangs was it was easier than setting up infinate amounts of rear ends with different wheel cylinders and ratios in 9in and 8in for that matter.....Keep the production line simple was henry fords idea!!!!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2013, 10:13:59 am »
PM me all your details please mate and I'll get it happening.

so rob yours is SSBC and they supplied this part, why the firetruck it didnt come with my setup

Did you end up getting it sorted out?

s

Offline efi Coupe

• Stallion
  • Welcome to the Mustang Forum
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2013, 09:18:04 pm »
Hi Guys - Hope you don't mind the thread hi-jack (Thought I'd keep the info together rather than start a new thread - but if that what you'd prefer, let me know and I will)...

I'm just going through this at the moment - have put AU2 front calipers (twin 40mm pistons) and (some other - known but ashamed  :cry:) rear discs from hoppers stoppers. The kit came with a generic 7" dual diaphragm booster and bracket and XB 1" dual circuit master.
The supplied bracket / booster combo aims the pushrod just above the brake pivot pin.  Now most power/boosted setups have a pedal ratio of 4-4.5:1  - the 64-66's is 6:1  (This is more in line with manual brakes.)  .  Installed and brakes worked fantastically,  but pedal travel was 3/4 the way to the floor (In line with the above statement about pedal ratio).
Changed the booster / bracket combo back to my original ( the one with the lever arm).  This bracket doubles your mc travel compared to straight through,  but requires double the effort - in effect turning the pedal ratio to about 3:1
( Note that This bracket is about 30mm longer than the non-lever one (as shown on page 1 of this thread), and to put the dual booster on,  the master would hit the shock tower.)

Now the brakes work pretty well,  with really short pedal travel,  but I feel that I'm a bit below where the braking should be with twin 40mm pistons and 330mm discs on front.
I'm considering having my master sleeved to bring it down to 7/8",  which would put me just about smack on the 4 ratio - and should give me more stopping at the expense of a bit more travel (that I have plenty in my sleeve)

My 2 questions are :
1) How much does that brake pin bracket shown by ausfox on p1 alter the pedal ratio ( I may consider re-installing the generic dual diaphragm booster and bracket if that changes the swept length enough (Although not too keen as that will increase the angle of the pushrod into the booster)
2 I think I have picked up in this thread that the lever bracket ( travel/force multiplier) is for manuals,  but auto's have a straight pushrod from pedal to master.  If so - how do they get enough travel not to have a spongy pedal with the 6:1 pedal ratio - because I believe that it is the one pedal for all 64-66 mustangs - or am I mistaken and there is an auto/power pedal out there with a lower pin ?

Thanks
Dave

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2013, 07:41:58 am »
I think the manual auto thing is due to the clutch linkage only. Many off the booster kits won't fit with factory clutch set up