Flat battery issue

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Flat battery issue  (Read 2862 times)

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
Flat battery issue
« on: August 09, 2013, 05:01:30 pm »
I did a stupid thing and left the keys in the ignition with the ignition on overnight when my 66 vert was in the garage. My car was connected to a battery trickler but leaving the ignition on seems to have drained the battery. Problem is that the battery trickler light is not on so I don't think the battery is charging.

Would this have caused any other issue other than draining the battery?

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
Re: Flat battery issue
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 05:03:33 pm »
I should add that the battery is a near new Autolite

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:06:33 pm »
If you have old school points and coil you can fry both that way....
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:12:36 pm »
If you have old school points and coil you can fry both that way....
I agree. The coil will most likely be cooked. This of course won't explain why your battery won't charge. Might need to try another battery charger.

Evan.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 08:02:07 pm »
Was your battery charger connected directly to the battery, if so maybe your battery is toast, take it to a battery supplier and have it tested and as others have said you most likely cooked your coil as well.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:35:59 pm »
Was your battery charger connected directly to the battery, if so maybe your battery is toast, take it to a battery supplier and have it tested and as others have said you most likely cooked your coil as well.

Yes the battery trickler was connected at the time. The latest update is that it started charging late last night so I left it on overnight and now the headlights come on and the interior lights but I get no response when I try and start it. I know that overnight is not very long to fully charge the battery but at least it appears to be charging. I was just watching the charger and the light on it comes on for about 6 seconds and then goes out for about 10 seconds before coming on again.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »
Update - I got the RAA out and he was able to jump start it with his cables so I took it out for a drive for about an hour but stopped for petrol on the way home and it wouldn't start'. For some reason I thought it would be okay after about an hour of running it. Luckily there was a mechanic filling up who had cables and gave me a jump start so I could get home. It is now in the garage with the charger connected. I don't need to drive it again for a while so I will give it a couple of days and see how it goes. I used to have a proper charger but I can't find it anywhere (probably lent it to someone years ago).

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 04:28:19 pm »
I'd say your battery is stuffed.  Though I would expect the RAA guy to be able to tell you that. He certainly should have known if the alt/reg was putting out less than 12 volts to enable a charge in the hour that you drove,

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 05:19:33 pm »
He checked the alternator and it was putting out 14 volts but the battery was taking about 12 volts. Does that sound right?

Offline edspaged2

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 09:04:09 pm »
Do you have a battery hydrometer? Test the electrolyte after giving it a good charge. If even one of the cells is in the red your battery is toast

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:12:56 pm »
Thanks, I'll check it on Monday and probably take it to a local battery business to check it out properly.