Vibration

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Vibration  (Read 3228 times)

Offline tony66

• L Plates
Vibration
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:24:05 pm »
66 mustang has intermitent vibration. Has right hand drive and 4 wheel disc brakes fitted. Vibration comes in at about 60mph. to stop it sometimes you need to stop the car because it becomes so bad. The vibration does not happen every outing. Mechanics have checked the front end but come up with nothing. Has anybody got any ideas :w

Offline FST68

• Worked
Vibration
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:51:14 pm »
Tony,

If its coming from the front it would more than likely be a wheel bearing or an out of ballance tyre.

Offline tony66

• L Plates
Vibration
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 08:13:49 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  Wheel bearings are ok and have just had new tyres and balance.

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Vibration
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:32:29 pm »
Tailshaft.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Vibration
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 09:24:20 pm »
I'm with Echo, tailshaft.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Vibration
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:27:21 pm »
:i

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Vibration
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 01:08:05 am »
Check that the uni is seated well at the diff & the u-bolts are tight. Mine was badly fitted by the mechanic that rebuilt my auto & it caused the steering wheel to shake badly at 50mph.

Evan.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Vibration
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 02:49:59 pm »
Well on mine it was the woping great chunks of rubber which were ripped out of the thread when for some unknown (to me) reason the wheels started spinning violently before the car had gained any momentum;x
So suddenly it went away and when I checked the thread it mustave happened again cause it had an equally big chunk missing on the opposite side of the tyre.:f
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Vibration
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 09:04:17 am »
Originally posted by HEVEN67
Well on mine it was the woping great chunks of rubber which were ripped out of the thread when for some unknown (to me) reason the wheels started spinning violently before the car had gained any momentum;x
So suddenly it went away and when I checked the thread it mustave happened again cause it had an equally big chunk missing on the opposite side of the tyre.:f

:+ They just dont make tyres like they should. :(
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline grubbie

• Stallion
Vibration
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 11:36:21 am »
Tony
I had the same sort of problem at 70 mph. Turned out to be a worn rear wheel bearing, allowing the axle to move slightly in the bearing. Didnt notice at first because at 70mph couldnt hear the bearing noise over the exhausts, but as the bearing got worse, so did the noise.
Bearings replaced, problem solved.
Graeme
It's better to know a little about a lot of things, than it is to know a lot about a little thing.

Offline Dyn4mic

• Worked
    • http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com/
Vibration
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 02:14:42 pm »
he said it was intermittent fault with wheel bearings its more constant, id defintly check tailshaft then check ur wheel bearings
Name: Pete
67' Coupe

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
Vibration
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 08:34:53 pm »
the bad vibration...

all good answers...but now for the truth....

what you will find is that a bump sets up a vibration in the steering...and your wheelalignment is lacking caster so the vibration beco0mes like the death wobbles...

my suggestion to have the wheelalignment checked...fully..
caster and chamber...and check the castor rods..the bushes could be worn causing a floating castor...

ps old vintage cars..with king pins front end are quite renowned for this...once it starts only way to make them stop is to stop...

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Vibration
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 10:20:35 pm »
Hi Bashfull.
Please excuse me if I've misunderstood your post but are you saying that it "must" be a front end problem? If so, there was a time when I would've totally agreed with you. I spent weeks tracking down my 50mph steering wobble. Replaced all 4 wheels, repeatedly balanced them, different tyres, checked front end over & over, etc. One day, I put the rear up on stands a ran it. Once it hit 50mph on the speedo, my steering wheel started to vibrate. I kicked myself for not looking at the tailshaft. On the up side, I learnt yet again to not trust anybody with repairs.

Evan.

Offline Dyn4mic

• Worked
    • http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com/
Vibration
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 09:34:27 pm »
Bashfull, again its an intermittent fault, and these kind of problems wouldn't be caused by alignment i think ev is on the money with this one
Name: Pete
67' Coupe

Offline Bashfull

• Thoroughbred
Vibration
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 09:37:50 pm »
um....

the death wobbles in vintage cars is set off by a road condition...

imho...wheel alignments are very rarely done properly...it was worth a good look at...

anyway like we all learn the modern mechnaic can only service a car by the book...after that must of them are screwed....

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
Vibration
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 09:26:30 pm »
Just read an old article where ford put out a bulletin about  vibrations in 65 /66 mustangs .Apparently both the tailshaft and
 diff uni carrier had paint marks which were supposed to be lined up but as often as not this was not done and was fixed during serviced if owners complained.
Also whistling noises from the front end were usually the gaps in the tie rod sleeves . There solution was to fill the gaps with a caulking solution that would not wash out.
Stormin